Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. I love custom cars and hot rods and I just bought this 53 chevy that I'll be customizing. The plan is to chop it and rebuild it into a 2 door instead of 4 door. I have some really cool ideas for this build. This is my first car so it's going to be a low-budget build. Here is the first set of pics , enjoy !
    40060_20101006042932.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  2. zomb1e

zomb1e

3. 'Mo

'Mo

That sounds like a big project. But it looks like you have a good place to work, and a nice solid car to start with. Do you have someone to assist you?

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Wow, i wish i had a car to build when i wa 16!
    I bet eithr your dad or your bigger brother are into this big time.

You live in Huskvarna ah? Is it were they produce the famous Huskvarna dirt bikes?

5. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Kool. Yeah i know Husqvarna has a nice history, im not an expert on them, but i used to have a neighbour w/ an old one, i think from the 70s, and i remember it was a good bike.

Anyway, any pics of your dad's cars? ;)

6. That's cool , I'll see if I can get some pics, don't have any on the computer right now :D

7. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

there is a thread here somewhere from an "aussie" who did a terrific job of conversion similar to what you are contemplating. you might want to check it out. i think you might find it by searching under a blue slip for a chev or something similar. good luck it sounds like more than i could handle!

8. lawman

lawman

Nice start !!!!! My first ride was a 53 Chevy "More Door" in 1960.

9. Cool , I'll check right now. thank you very much !!

10. Thanks , thats awesome! I've always liked the 53's , great car.

11. Orn

Orn

Nice project. Keep it up :cool:

12. Nice! I'm looking foreward to se much more from you..

Klaus

13. Thank you , I'll do my best to keep you updated , I'll be working on it tomorrow :)
    Thanks man ! I will

14. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Det skall börjas i tid!!

It will begin in time!!

Cool be so young and have started with a car build

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'm not crazy about those huge wooden hood scoops in the second photo...they just don't fit a "rad sled"...!!!

R-

16. atomickustom

atomickustom

Ha ha!
    I can't think of anything more traditional than using one's project car as a storage shelf!

17. Hey, its awesome your first car is a '53 chevy, mine was too and still is!, I purchased it when I was 15. I didn't go the hot rod/custom route. I actually liked the car how it was and just improved upon some of the mechanicals and still kept it a numbers matching car. Check out my profile if you like, and good luck with the project.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  18. J-Gilmoore

J-Gilmoore

Nice looking projekt. looks solid. A lot of work buildin it to 2dr but its a good experiance.
    Are you going for inline six? or v8?

19. The_Monster

The_Monster

Looks great! I have a 4dr daily driver and I love it. Itll never be sacrificed for a 2dr conversion as long as I own it, but everyone has their own ideas and plans. Good luck with the build, looking forward to the progress!
    [​IMG]

20. hey ! thank you , it depends on what I can find , but I'm thinking v8 :)
    Hi , thanks ! I really like your car , looks really cool without the hood.

21. Update !! Today I got the body off the frame , here are some pics

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0287.jpg

22. Man! You did a lot Bro! I call that PROGRESS! I see you had the exact same problem with the back of the frame as I did with my '53 Chevy. Mine was even rotted away 3 feet in from the back.
    I drove with the 6 for many years before I decided to go v8. If you have questions and you think I can be of any help let me know!

Klaus

23. Just finished this metal frame, now I can flip the car over and work on the floor and rust under the body, here is a pic :)

IMAG0284.jpg

24. J-Gilmoore

J-Gilmoore

Looks god. alot easier to work now ey? Man i really miss my old -49 when i see this. but ive decided not to by anything until the b11 bomber is finnished. been lookin at a -50 olds 98 standin at a friend of mine, Man, just want to by!

25. That's a great idea Bro!
    Keep your back and knees away from the cold concrete floors. When I started working on cars 30 years ago, the older guys told me just that and I didn't listen to well and look at me now, with sore back and hurting knees, going dammit why didn't I listen back then? See you're already smarter than the most of us!

Klaus

26. J-Gilmoore

J-Gilmoore

Thats true Klaus, been there done that too. mostly outside in the snow during winter.
    This guy is really lucky being inside in a warm cosy garage.

27. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Klaus man, lookin at the pics he also has the space to do it.
    Dunno about you, but i have a one car garage, well, it fits two, but in lenght not width, so theres little space to work around a car and i work in the back yard on dirt and grass.
    I would love a rotisserie or similar to avoid overhead welds and grinds, but it just aint an option right now.

Keep up the great work man. Motivation is number one. w/out it you can have all the best tools and still achieve nothin.
    Unfortunateley cars dont build themself ahahah

28. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

looks like a strong start! Keep up the good work....

29. Thanks !

30. Got the frame mounted and flipped the car over , surprisigly easy.. so now it's much easier to work on the floors and rust. But now I have to get the underbody cleaned for the sand blaster :cool:

IMAG0318.jpg

IMAG0319.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg