Register now to get rid of these ads!

REALLY Oddball engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darwin, May 2, 2005.

1. Darwin

Darwin

Okay what the hell is it exactly? Found it last week under a guys bench. Purported to be an early 331 Hemi out of "an old British sportcar that started with an A" as the guy said. Obvious first blush choice--Allard. It has two SU carbs, Lucas dual point distributor, and a Lucas 12 volt generator. Here's where it gets freaky. It has a lot of aluminum on it. Cast aluminum valve covers with hold-downs threaded onto the spark plug tubes---full length full depth cast aluminum oil pan---some sort of odd power takeoff on the crank snout---and lastly but way not leastly aluminum heads. Yeah that's right aluminum heads. This last is what has us buffaloed. Why the hell are there aluminum heads. pan and valve covers on what is alleged to be an early hemi with SU carbs and Lucas electrics? And none of it looks like it was added in anything like the recent past. Anybody have any ideas?

2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

that things really... really cool.

Tuck

3. Have you been to the Allpar site? maybe the "A" was part of the engine ID,

A311

4. joerox

joerox

think it has warp drive? or a flux capicitor?

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think is maybe a dAimler, a British sportscar that almost starts with an A.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks like a whole lotta nothin'. I'll take it off your hands.

7. Gracie

Gracie

What's the deal with the black and white photos? Tryin' to be arty farty or something? ;)

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

9. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

Daimler 2.5 liter i think...

10. Darwin

Darwin

That's it! Thanks people. From assorted pics on the web it appears to the the 4.5L version from the 60's Daimler Majestic Major. Looks like a filpper not a keeper. God help us finding parts for it.

11. Didn't Astin Martin also use a hemi for awhile?

12. marq

marq

Thats a Daimler hemi by the look.Fast ,small reliable and light.............great engine .........Marq

13. Definately a Daimler Hemi. Difficult to say whether it is a 2.5 or 4.5 Litre from the photos. I think it is more likely to be a 2.5. It was a popular choice in the 1970's for British rods. It is now enjoying a comeback in trad style rods.

Parts are available and it can be rebuilt. However, it is an expensive engine to rebuild. There are Brits out in SoCal who know about this engine. Try Steve Dennish at the Limeworks.

14. Darwin

Darwin

You're right. It appears to be a 2.5.

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

HRM actually did an article on these mebbe 20 years ago, including versions, interchange, sources--that makes it mainstream.

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

John Whitmore.
    2500 cc Daimler V8.
    It did about a 7 or 8 sec 1/4 on Nitro...

17. metalshapes

metalshapes

P/M Nads if this Engine is for sale.
    He is looking for one to put into his English Ford...

18. I have an old Hot Car magazine (UK Car Mag) series on prepping this engine for drag racing. Could possibly scan it and email it if needed.

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's a Daimler and I'd really be interested in buying it.
    It's only a 2.5 Litre, it will not haul anything heavier than a T-Bucket, but it will make my '63 Capri haul ass.
    My pal had a '59 Daimler Dart, RHD. It was a very cool car indeed.
    Dodge sued them over the Dart name and they had to change it to the SP250.
    These engines have some inherent problems, insufficient oiling to the center main bearing and weak bearing caps.
    But by golly they are cooler than hell.

Thank you Alex for letting me know about this thread.

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

Ahh Yes....

All out of the goodness of my heart...

Plus I would like a shot at buying the 1500GT pre X flow, currently in your Capri's Engine bay...:D :D

21. marq

marq

Jesus is this turning into a British rodders site........daimler hemis,mk1 1500 gt x flows i dunno what the world is coming too .Although my mate over here has the full 3.0 litre s capri running gear for sale here from engine to rear axle if you lot care to pay a few hundred bux then pay to ship it lol.Believe me that car could haul ass with that v6 before the body gave out to English tin worm..........Marq

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Actually marq those Ford V6s are very common over here, I see them all the time, probably because MK11 and 111 Capris did indeed rust away. Plus that engine was used in many applications.
    Also I saw an engine at a local Ford Industrial Products dealer that looks exactly like a Kent engine, or a very close descendent.

Anybody have any pics of Kev Rooney's Consul Capri gasser that was powered by that Hemi? Man that was a scary ride.

Where's Kapri been anyway?

23. Meester P

Meester P

Nads
    Try and find a site for Russ Carpenter, he used to run one in a rail and was in the 7s with it,he still has one and it was at the Goodwood festival of speed on display.
    You will need to take a head off and check the state of the water galleries cos if it aint had antifreeze in it it's WHOLE life the heads might be destroyed. They must have anti freeze and NOT just water in them for cooling cos it WILL just eat em away.
    john