Register now to get rid of these ads!

Worlds most stupid recycled aluminum tech tip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Traditions Racing, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Today, I decided I wanted to make a heatshield to block the heat from the engine and intake from my Holley 750. Typical SBC, Performer RPM intake and said Holley 3310. So I wanted a piece of aluminum up to a 1/8' or .125" thick, no thinner than 1/16" or .0625", 7 1/2" wide and 12 1/2" long. I remembered some road signs a friend at the highway department had given me a few years ago, waiting for some kid and his r*t r*d to ask for them for his floors or doors or something. Lets see, .080" thick, nice, definately aluminum, O.K., nice and flat, beautiful, only what the %*&# do I do with the actual sign on the one side. I didnt want to use a flap wheel or even a wire wheel afraid because I didn't want any vacuum leaks to have to contend with, so no machining marks. So I decided to give the old aircraft paint remover a try, BINGO, slap some on, and 15 minutes later it came right off with a razor scraper. Rinced off with some H2O, and I have a really nice, easy to machine piece of material for my heat shield. DO NOT steal a sign off the road, ask at the highway department, they give the old ones away all the time. TR

2. All that work and you can buy them for $35.00.
    I use a wood spacer under the carb to keep the heat away, been using them for about
    25 years.

3. duke182

duke182

so much more fun to make stuff than to just throw money at it.
    just my way of thinkin, i know it aint for everyone.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

BOO. Bad attitude.

5. modeleh

modeleh

I'd say he can now justify going down and buying $35 worth of beer and sit and admire his hard work and ingenuity, and you can look at your store bought stuff and go thirsty. Myself, I'm a beer man and take pride in making something useful out of otherwise junk.

6. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

take the hood off instead

7. dirty4

dirty4

I am thinking about a hundred louvers!:D

8. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

looks like I better get to work.
    [​IMG]
    nah
    [​IMG]

If you heat it lightly with propane torch,
    it gets gooey enough to take off the shiny layer.
    Than lacquer thinner or something similar works.

TP

9. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I say go for it.......

10. Still waiting for the "stupid" part ... :confused:

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Me too . Way to use your head for something more then a hat rack
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

13. lucky ink

lucky ink

i'm with the sign and beer idea lol 35.00 is alot of money when you can do it yourself...

14. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

QUOTE / DO NOT steal a sign off the road, ask at the highway department, they give the old ones away all the time. TR[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure anyone showing up at a recycle yard with road signs is going to meet, before he leaves, a representative from the local law enforcement. Old road signs aren't give away, they're recycled or found on the side of the road, which is steeling. Plus, what a stupid idea for a heat shield, sorry but, you're either a thief or a friend of one.

15. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

beer is on sale for 16.00 a 30 pack thats 2 plus some, wow

16. badshifter

badshifter

What about Vodka? Trying to decide on crime, or alcohol.....

17. Oddly, I was given some road signs years ago that were tossed in a big junk pile at a town highway garage.

What I see here these days is they go in a big pile of metal which is then sold via auction as scrap, so if you know someone there or ask around, maybe you can toss a $20 their way and bring home a batch of them.

Also, it's kind of ironic to typo "steeling" when discussing aluminum signs.

18. shanesflames

shanesflames

16.00$ for a 30 pack..?..yuck...I have a couple old imbosset road signs..i got from the salvage yard for free...u think i should give them back?..the heat shild sounds neat-O

19. 39 Ford

39 Ford

My dash insert is made from an old highway mile marker sign, priced right.

20. SLCK64

SLCK64

mmmm mmmm good!!!!! And its 5% alcohol.....

[​IMG]

21. RichG

RichG

Stoli!

EDIT: I almost forgot (and I can't believe it hasn't been said yet): We need pictures, or it didn't happen!:p

22. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

You can buy official road signs thru your construction safety supplier as they are required by OSHA on most projects dealing with traffic....so they are available legally.

23. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Yeah, they're available new but I doubt anyone would buy new road signs when the raw aluminum material is much cheaper.

24. I worked for our city sign department for many years and we threw out old signs in a dumpster which was picked up by the local recycled metal company. I seriously doubt any questions were asked when they arrived at the recycle yard...
    BUT..those aluminum signs are not just aluminum. They're an aluminum alloy that's tough as nails to bend....about impossible to weld.

25. Dirty Dug"
    I'm pretty sure anyone showing up at a recycle yard with road signs is going to meet, before he leaves, a representative from the local law enforcement. Old road signs aren't give away, they're recycled or found on the side of the road, which is steeling. Plus, what a stupid idea for a heat shield, sorry but, you're either a thief or a friend of one.[/QUOTE]

And Dirty Dug your either and idiot...or an idiot...

26. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

I agree!Beer is good and home made parts are gooder

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Cal Trans left a smashed Wrong Way sign on my property for 3 days. I figger that in anybodys book that makes it mine. But I didn't have a good way to clean the sign part before.

28. I'm pretty sure anyone showing up at a recycle yard with road signs is going to meet, before he leaves, a representative from the local law enforcement. Old road signs aren't give away, they're recycled or found on the side of the road, which is steeling. Plus, what a stupid idea for a heat shield, sorry but, you're either a thief or a friend of one.[/QUOTE]

Rich ..what are you doing up at this hour???

29. Deuces

Deuces

I still have half a fifth of Seagram's that was given to me when grandpa passed away a few years ago... I've been slowly sippin' on it till it's all gone...

30. Deuces

Deuces

Ok, here's one for the model car guys... You can make Moon style wheel disks out of the bottoms of aluminum pop or beer cans... Just cut them to the diameter you need for the model car wheels... Got this idea from another modeler and member on this forum..