Register now to get rid of these ads!

No right turns! Steering box out need help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buzz bomb, Jul 5, 2011.

1. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

I was driving around this weekend with my 10 year old daughter and attempted to make a right at a light, when I started heading straight toward the car in the opposing lane!!! Good thing I was making a right turn at a light at 5 miles an hour. I had to reverse and go forward 4 times before I had enough radius to clear the cars. Does anyone know who has a steering box for a 1953 pontiac or rebuilds them? I called CPR (California Pontiac Restoration) and they told me to get in contact with a company called Lars, I have searched and cant find anything on them. Any help would be great or if you guys know anyone who has one.
    Thanks

Buzz Bomb

2. fordor41

fordor41

lares corp. 18005550767

3. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

Thank you, I guess I had the wrong spelling. Also if anyone has one please let me know.

Buzz Bomb

4. Are '53 Chevy steering boxes the same? I may have one of those laying around you can have....

5. el shad

el shad

Just paint a number on the door and enter NASCAR. They don't turn right.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you tried jacking the car up and turning the wheels with the weight off them? That might tell you if the ball bearings in the box are binding up

7. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

Yeah I lifted it up and same thing, like something is binding in the box. funny thing is it feels smooth both ways, no grinding whatsoever.

Buzz Bomb

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I would really want to diagnose this a bit, both to simply find out what tried to kill me and how and to be sure I was flinging money in the right direction!
    Pop off steering link to box with car jacked up, see that wheels can be swung both ways by pushing on them, if unlocked study motion of pitman arm while your daughter spins the steering wheel. Even if you are going to then outsource the work, you should know what failed and try to figure out why it failed so you know WTH is going on in there! Your daughter probably needs to know too...

9. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Unfortunately, Chevy and Pontiac had completely different steering and suspension setups.

10. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

As simple as that sounds...your 100% right. I am assuming its the steering box just because i jacked it in the air but i never detached the pitman arm. I am going to try and see what happens, thanks for the sound advice.

Buzz Bomb

11. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

YUP!! It was the steering box!...Damn!

Buzz Bomb

12. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

There's a place in South Gate, California that rebuilds steering boxes and are really reasonable. They did my buddy's wrecked (damn thing was pretty much destroyed inside) '51 Chevy Box for $190 and it works like new. They go out to the Long Beach Swap EVERY month. If I find their info I'll post it on here, if not, I'm sure you will find them at Veterans Stadium this Sunday.

http://www.toppingevents.com/ecology_meet.asp

13. DrJ

DrJ

If it isnt leaking oil put some in it because it's probably dry.
    Then see if the not moving parts start moving again.
    If it leaked at the seals then it probably/commonly got filled with grease and it needs oil.
    That's one of the things station attendants checked every 1000 miles when you got your wheel bearings packed.
    Yea, every 1000 miles, or less pack the wheel bearings and check the oil in the steering box.
    I'm not saying that WILL fix yours, but it just might...

14. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

The place in South Gate is called CJ Automotive and they quoted me $150 to do the job, I am going to buy one of a fellow Hamb'er as a back up plan. And rebuild mine. Thanks for the info Greasemunkee, that helped out BIG TIME!!!!!

Buzz Bomb