Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I chopped it!!! Model A coupe, 5 inches off the top!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Jul 6, 2011.

1. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

It looks like you started with a decent car, so I doubt the purists will approve. I don't blame you. Who wants to work with a decayed scrap metal when a good specimen is available. When it's all said and done they are just cars. I once bought an old car and had to promise the owner I wouldn't make it into a hot rod before he would sell it to me.

Anyway, good luck on the project.

2. Chemin

Chemin

Looks good. I chopped my '28 coupe 4 1/2" and like it. I hope you're a better welder than I am. I suck and that 83yr old metal doesnt like too much heat.
    If I remember correctly you're gonna leave the chassis stock for a while, right?

3. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

SWEEEEEET ....like the 5, but i might have done the 4. My .02 lookin good.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

4. Live it brotha , Think from yourselfs point of veiw when your 80 ,You gotta make the stories to tell the grandkids one day.

5. brady1929

brady1929

6. Beauiful. Keep posting!

7. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

They took pictures and made me sign a waiver. New regs say no bigger than the "wearers" hand. I could get tattooed between commands and nobody would really notice, but that's a can of worms I'd rather not open.

Thanks everyone on the comments so far! I don't plan on leaving it high in the air. It needs to come down a bit, but I need to find a good T spring at a good price. The wood header is rotted out so I'm going to replace it with steel, so I don't think the roof will go back on today but I'll at least make some progress. I'm at home with my daughter now so later i'll post the photos of the header replacement.

Ryan took my window garnish and dash rail to work today and media blasted them. Once they are cut down and fitted, they will be taking a trip to the chromer.

Anyway, thanks again! I really appreciate it!

8. Labold

Labold

Looks really cool man.
    I've owned several chopped model-A's but have never done one myself, you make it look easy.
    I know you plan to lower it down the road, but I think it looks cool like it is too.
    Best of luck with a speedy recovery on that back!

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looks awesome!!! I'm stoked to see where everything will fall once the stance and chop are done. Mmmmm.....tasty!

10. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

Nice Chop, Nice car.

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

That looks RAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

haha. yeah..

14. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Haha, shooter, I knew you would like it!!

15. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Nice chop, great proportions! Oughta look real slick when ya get the stance you're after. Pretty bad ass!

16. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

The cutting WAS the easy part!! Now I gotta weld the damn thing back on! With such a heavy chop the A pillars don't line up too well anymore, but I have a few ideas for that. It's only going to be about an inch and a half lower, I kinda like it tall as well! Thanks for the well wishes on my back. It's been the cause of some terrible depression recently, but I just need to focus on the positive things in life.

Thanks JJ! We should buy your tweeker chromer a plane ticket so he can come do some parts for me!

I'm not sure what the final color will be, but I know I want the interior garnish chrome, and either a white or oxblood interior. But I'm getting way ahead of myself. For now I'll enjoy it as a bare bones, mechanical hot rod!

17. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Great work and nice car!

18. Wow. I like the 5 inch chop.

19. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

20. BadMotorFinger

BadMotorFinger

Job well done. Subscribed.

21. boutlaw

boutlaw

Looks great and what an outstanding A body to start with. As someone mentioned, that 80 year old metal doesn't like much heat. I just finished rechopping mine and it was a B---- in places where the metal was so thin.
    Good luck with the back issue as well. Been dealing with that crap for years myself, it will damn sure put a hitch in your gitalong....Subscribed......

22. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

Looking good man!

23. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks for the tips on welder heat. I want this chop to come out perfect, so I'll need to exercise patience. The windshield was kinda sagging so I knew the wood was rotten. It's much easier to access this area with the top off so that's my task today. I'm in on a snack break and figured I'd post pics of where I'm at now.

I pulled the steel header panel off and this is what greeted me....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rotted wood and Bondo-glass from one of the last owners.... Just how much can you cram into the corners?!!
    [​IMG]

Here is the header once it's out...!
    [​IMG]

After hours of digging, this is what I'm left with. Fortunately, the steel support is in great shape, so my plan is to replace all of the wood with steel. More on that later.

[​IMG]

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Josh if you want wood I can hook you up?

25. chaddilac

chaddilac

Too cool!!!! Go AZ!!!

26. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Right on Skip, wood would be easier to figure out how to put the insert back on. I'll give you a call in a few minutes.

Thanks Chad!

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

dam..that just sounds so wrong:eek:

but that chop looks killer

28. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

well done... 9don't show my wife... i have enough projects on the burner now)

29. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Haha, yeah it does, but if you've ever visited his garages you'd get wood too!! :D:eek::p

Hopefully he means header wood.... uhh, err....

30. mj40's

mj40's

That's not a tattoo, it's camouflage to match your pants! :D Nice work on the A.