Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration ----HOTDAMN'S Chopped '54 Pictorial----

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Looks Awesome

Congrats on the progress

2. hotdamn

hotdamn

oh now your gonna make me blush;)

I get so used to looking at it that I dont always appreciate it as much as I should sometimes and you guys help me refocus that:D

thanks!

3. Labold

Labold

You make it look easy.

Car looks great, nice work young man.

4. robleticia

robleticia

Looks great! You nailed it!

5. hotdamn

hotdamn

not to kick a dead horse but jj took a picture with a real camera :)

not my pos blackberry...

[​IMG]

6. If you don´t mind...my 2c...

[​IMG]

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

niiiiiice!!!!!

8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

daaaaaaaamn thats a custom with class! I dig it, now get back to work!

9. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

so here is the story from friday the 1st of July. Delton calls me around 9 am and i was in my office writing a paper for a class i am in and i was slightly hungover. He tells me he wants to take me up on the help offer for his roof. I asked him where he would paint it and he said he wasnt sure so i told him to load up his car with all the stuff we needed and head my way after lunch. 1 o'clock came and he showed up. It had went from painting the roof to painting the car, because i love a stupid challenge.

We went to lunch and got the rest of the supplies and came back to my shop about 3 pm. We were ready to start. Delton started disassembling the car and i headed for the bondo and block sander. 5 hours in and we were roughly ready for final sand and scotch briting the whole car. We went to dinner with a friend of mine and were back at it by 9:30. We rolled the car out, i scotch brited while Delton started taping stuff up for me. By 11 the car was going back in the shop for final tape up and i was wiping it down for the final time. So about 12 midnight we i was mixing paint and spraying. Low and behold the color is perfect for the car!!! We let it dry from 1:30 until 4 while we ran to the iron lords shop and pressed new studs in my 56 cadillac hubs so it would be ready also, the brake drums had shown up friday at 4 pm. So back to the shop at 4, remember we needed to leave my shop at 6:15. 5:30 i was done with the caddy and i started to help Delton with trim install as he had everything untaped and bumpers on. So 5:45 i hit the shower and by 6 i sent him to the shower and i finished up the trim and got everything wiped down and ready to roll. 6:11 the car pulled out and the caddy was warming up, 4 minutes to spare!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SCHWEET! Isn't it amazing how Del can pull an allnighter and still look as fresh as a daisy the next mornin'?!?!?!

[​IMG]

11. Looks Great Del, you guys did agreat job

12. S.F.

S.F.

Fucking rad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. S.F.

S.F.

p.s. I dig the pomp' better.... lol

14. hotdamn

hotdamn

Steven, dont hate on my unibomber look!!! :)

thanks for posting the progress pics tater!

as always I greatly appreciate all the kind words, it really helps me appreciate my car because all I see is all the stuff that needs to be done:) but I am certain I am not alone in that, I figure most every one feels that way about their own stuff...

15. hotdamn

hotdamn

bro we are on the same page!!!

I have a sweet 51 kaiser bar that will get opened up a little to match the contour correctly and probably shortend a little to fit better. that said anyone have any other suggestions for a grill bar?

I have considered a stock 53 bar but I hate to be so obvious.

this is like when I quit listening to Nirvana in 93 because they got too popular. mid 30's and still too punk rock for my own good...

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This car has changed my perspective. Just a few months ago I thought customs were gay and for child molesters. But now after seeing the evolution of this car and it's restraint I am now a gay child molester.....I mean back in love with customs!!! :D:D:D

Now I want my '54 in pearl silvery blue with white watson flames!!! Still waiting on the chop to see how easy you can get your windows to roll up and seal. :D

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You should feel honored, JAMES D is the THEE best photoshop wizard I've seen....he's German though. :D

18. hotdamn

hotdamn

I do:)

I think the windows will roll up fine, I just have to spend a grip on some fuzzies:D

19. No I is not! Not everybody who happens to be in Germany is German. :)

And really - thanks for the kind words.:eek:

20. hotdamn

hotdamn

what did you cut that grill bar from James D?

21. The front bumper. Scaled down and mucked about with it.

22. hotdamn

hotdamn

haha fair enough, thanks:)

23. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

so when can i bring mine down for the same treatment? :) car still looks amazing!!!! what are you planning color wise??

24. Not TOTALLY on topic, but...... how'bout a sectioned corvair front bumper?

25. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Look at the rear bumper on Rons Skylark. Cut down that might work.

like this one
    [​IMG]

Its not very thick so I dont think it would need to be sectioned just shortened. I have one I would give up super cheap, or trade out for some skilled labor. :)

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

If I know Del...which I like to think I do, I know he's not putting something on the facade of that car that is't in his target year of 1954-1958. He has that kaiser grille and it's in great shape and really deserves to be on his '54. A little cutting and tigging and it'll make people drool!!! The grille bar is oh so important and one of those bragging rights on a custom.

On top of that whatever he uses, it needs to follow the gentle curve of the front end so a flat bar is not going to work. However, I like your thinking guys!!!

27. hotdamn

hotdamn

never thought about that b4c, if so I gotta good homie that I am sure could score me one:D

as for color, I have been sitting on like a barris merc green for a while but I am kinda feeling the baby blue?

still gotta ways to go though, I still have to mold the grill surround in and have been thinking pretty hard about running a set of packard lenses frenched in?

the only thing that sucks is my tail lights are rad but I feel like ol girls bottom is a little slab sided and could benefit from some extended quarters...

28. 54metalman

54metalman

I used a narrow Camaro bumper on a 48 chevy fleetline with a reshaped 53 chevy grill frenched in. worked bitchen and followed the hood peak perfect. Lots of cutting and weldin but it worked. Kaiser would be spot on the money for sure.

29. hotdamn

hotdamn

you wouldnt be nearly as stoked about it if I chopped it as you would if you chopped it!!!

do your home work, ask a boat load of questions and get on it!!!

30. 54metalman

54metalman

As far as tailights look at some 57 Buick lens. Similar to packard and not used much.