Register now to get rid of these ads!

LT1 Air Intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RHCinNJ, Jul 6, 2011.

1. RHCinNJ

RHCinNJ
    from New Jersey

I'm currently installing an LT1 in a '51 Chevy and am having trouble finding room for all of the plumbing associated with the air intake. There's lots of room above the engine and I'm fairly sure I've seen a setup where there was a 180 degree elbow attached to the throttle body and the MAF sensor and air filter were back up over the engine. Anyone know where I might be able to find this?

2. badshifter

badshifter

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

well...bein' as how this here is a "traditional' hot rod site (1964 YOM and lower), their 'prolly' ain't a whole bunch of LT1 'xperts hereabouts. LT-1 maybe...but the later stuff...MAP sensors....and such...well, some of us still can't even take pictures with these portable phone gadget thingies.

That being said, perhaps a trip to the Chev parts counter and a peek at their expanded view of the area of your concern would provide some clarity. Alternative to that is head for a public wrecking/salvage/U-pick yard and find a similar powerplant either still in the vehicle or sitting on the...uh...er..."showroom" floor.

There are some true rocket scientists within the flock here....perhaps one of them will deign to assist you in some manner.

Now...if ya wanna know how to stick a J-2 intake on your 324....that's a lot more relevant.

dj

4. SAM3 Customs

SAM3 Customs
    from Michigan

Do you have room in front of the engine? There's a system available for '94-'96 Impala SS's with the LT1 at the following link: http://www.ramairss.com/products.htm

They also sell the components separately. You might be able to put together something that'll work.

5. dalesdeadbug

dalesdeadbug
    from cincinnati

i mounted a k&n right to the maf sensor then got a rubber reducer sleeve from advanced auto parts and stuck that between the maf and throttle body on my roadmaster. doesnt take up much room and works well

6. gwarren007

gwarren007

7. What are you running for engine management? Some of the LT-1's (and it may be OBD2) have the capability to runn speed density only. You could lose the MAF.

I bought an aluminum adapter from Summit that goes before the throttle body. I needed it because I had to flip the air intake to the passenger side. The after market piece did not have the small down tube like the factory set up that comes down.

After rereading your post you may be looking for a way to avoid this. If so, disregard everything I said. Except about you may be able to lose the MAF and run it speed density.