Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

2. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

The three "mac miller specials" will have a busy summer, participating in July and August vintage events throughout the midwest.
    Starting July 8 & 9, with the fabulous "Millers at Milwaukee" meet, the Bob Dicks 1963 #98 "Agajanian" Watson roadster will be joined by the, California based, Carl Schulz 1927 #15 "Boyle Valve" Miller for two days on "the mile".

Following Milwaukee, the #15 Miller will stay in the midwest to run at the two mile Michigan Intl. Speedway on July 29, the half mile high bank Salem Ind. Speedway on Aug 6 and a two day event at the half mile Winchester Ind. high banks on Aug 20 & 21.

Bob Dicks will have both his #98 Watson roadster and 1962 #1 "Fike Plumbing" sprint car on the track at Salem Aug 6 and Winchester Aug. 20 & 21.

Drivers will include Bob Dicks, Carl Schulz, Randall Cook and "mac miller"

if you can get to any of these events, DO IT....... and be sure to stop by and say HI!

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

3. Just got back from Goodwood.....They set up a Gasoline Ally,and had bricks set into their start line from the BRICKYARD........almost like being there!

Attached Files:

4. Over forty cars turned up.....some old .....some new.....

Attached Files:

5. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Wow that looks like a great show. Thanks for the pics. I take for granted the Indy museum being close. I kind of always forget just how big those champ cars are. I am used to midget size.

6. jimg12

jimg12

Black vette 59,
    Is that the Jim Robbins car that Cliff Griffith finished 10th in 1956? I have a pit crew shirt from 1956 when Cliff drove.
    Jim

7. TommyA19

TommyA19

I found this for the 1956 Indy 500:

10 27 30 Cliff Griffith Jim Robbins Stevens D Offy 200 4:01:45.48 123.471 150

The 10 is whre he finished. The 27 is the car # and 30 is where he started.

http://stratos.motorsport.com/stats/champ/data/ch195601.pdf

The photos from Black vette 59 show car # 23

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Jerry Hoyt put the #23 on the pole in 1955 and became the "slowest" (relatively speaking) polesitter as few others wanted to brave the weather on pole day that year.

Attached Files:

• jh.jpg
      jh.jpg
      File size:
      62.9 KB
      Views:
  9. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

In the early 70s, I was working for a race team in Troy, Mich. Every day, as I drove I 75 to work, I passed the back lot of the Jim Robbins Seat Belt Co. This car was was sitting, derelict, among the high weeds and factory discards.
    Not sure when and by who it was rescued but, fortunately, it was.

The rear wheels on this car in 1955, were the last wire wheels to ever run
    in the Indy 500. Not sure what kind of screwy setup they had on the car to have very rigid mag wheels on the front and flexible wires on the rear to make it work.:eek:?????,

10. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Looking at a picture of the 1956 Robbins car in Rick Popley's book says yes this 1955 pole sitter is the car Griffith drove in 1956. Both listed as a Stevens chassic. Looks identical to me with different number.

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Looks like they kept the wire l/r for 56 too. That little "grill" on the end of the tail is classy!

Attached Files:

12. TommyA19

TommyA19

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Sounds like one of those shoulda-woulda-coulda- deals.:)

30+ years ago I came across an ad in the local Penny Saver newspaper that said= 'Pikes Peak Champ Car frame $200.' Back then I didn't know or care anything about the old stuff as I was into the latest,lightest,fastest, wizz-bang stuff but thought it might be worth a look to see if there was anything I could use. It was located in a old shed/garage on a alley near downtown and was a old 96" single tube, spring front, parallel bar with some suspension pieces and some body parts etc. It was kinda crusty but appeared to be proffesionally built and looked to be pretty straight. For my purposes though, it also looked to be heavy and slow and I already had a race car that needed the $200, so I took a pass on it. Of course, back the then, I didn't know a Kurtis from a Smurtis or any other old racer, for that matter, and the guy selling it didn't know anything about it, he was just clearing out some property he bought. In later years I've often wondered if it might have been some long lost Kurtis or other notable car from the 50s. :(

14. jimg12

jimg12

Cliff was the last one to run wire wheels at Indy. I have a newspaper clipping that Donald Davidson wrote about it, it was 1956 in the Robbins car. I was there in 55 when Hoyt put it on the pole- windy, cold and had rained some during the day. Cliff told me that he did not get in the top 10 untill the last 25 miles of the race and he drove his butt off to make it up that far.
    Jim

15. I loved the rear grill on the Robbins car and the neat mag wheels.......never saw anything like those cool knock off's before.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  16. easter

easter

[​IMG]

This is Johnny White in Diz Wilson's #71 in 1962. I copied this from midwestracingarchives.com. Cool picture from Tampa. Rootie, look how far forward this exterior lever is. I also realize not everyone had shoulder harnesses back then, so they could reach it. The steering arm is pretty far forward, too. (Pittman?) Can you just picture how high Johhny threw the dirt in this?

17. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Great pic Bob, I was there in '62. Those knobby tires threw chunks of clay the size of your fist. I wasn't paying attention one time and was hit with a clay clod... I paid close attention from that time on. :D

18. easter

easter

I remember a few guys (like Richert and Opperman) still carried "Knobbies" with them in 1967. The rumors would spread quick through the pits: "Richert's putting on a knobby!" and then: "Well hell, I guess we'd better try it!"

19. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

7-5-2011 Richard L Greenawalt ( D i c k ) left this earth this morning.

As you have all been following on ( microracing.com ) and all of you that I have seen at the tracks, about his resent hospital visits, with all you kind works and prayers, I wanted to be the person to break the sad news.

Dad turned 71 yesterday July 4th, he had a great day at home, everything was fine, even this morning things were great, he had a great nights sleep, went to get a shower and then that when he went down, mom called 911 and the EMT's did all they could do, but it was to late.

Please remember my dad as a great guy, photographer, friend. I know no one can replace him. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Any questions please contact me at <!-- e -->[email protected]

<!-- e -->
    Mom and I thank you all.

Lee

20. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Very sorry for your loss, Lee. Our prayers are with you.

21. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Lee: I'm shocked and saddened by the news. Your dad was a good friend throughout my career. I can't believe it. My sincere condolences.

22. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Lee, Sorry for your loss........

23. My condolences to you and your family.....God bless

24. TommyA19

TommyA19

Condolences to you and your family, Lee, on this shocking loss.

25. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Lee, Sorry to hear..... Denny Z

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

LEE, That is sad news. Your pops will be missed.

Sorry for your loss, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Joshua Shaw

27. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

lee ,sorry to hear about your pop,thoughts & prayers for you & your family ,lots of great pics to remember the great years of pa sprint racin' !! rip ,probily lookin'up opp and the boy's up in the big track right now !!

28. easter

easter

Lee, Sorry for your dad's passing. My dad died a couple years ago and everytime I see his pictures on this thread I look into his eyes and it brings him back. Whenever you see a photo your dad took, you'll be looking through his eyes - and now he'll be looking through your's as well. Continue to make him proud.

29. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

Lee

My sympathies on the passing of your father.

Also sad to report that Baldtireman (John Stickley) last his brother, Chuck, who passed away in his sleep on July 4th...

May they rest in peace...

LM

30. I took this photo of a Don Lee Special....his 1948 Kurtis is my all time favorite....but could not find out anything about it....does anyone know the story?

Attached Files: