Register now to get rid of these ads!

Australian blue slip on 2 door conversion???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasper6120, Jun 24, 2011.

1. DougHH

DougHH

Oh yeah man, in NSW if you do ANYTHING pretty much, you need a 2 speed wiper, a demister and seatbelts that need to be mounted to a specific way. mind you all of these things will either save your life and/or improve your driving experience so its a worthy effort none the less. for the roof chop you will need new glass anyway. if it had a 235 in it, you can bolt in a 283 Chev without having to weld mounts, which engineers are not a fan of. if you can straight up bolt it all together and it works engineers like this. I've dealt with a few engineers over the years both with scooters, motorbikes and cars and trust me, they will prefer a bolt in 283 using the same mounts as the orig 235.

2. DougHH

DougHH

You're lucky you arent doing any steering mods cause you'll need a collapsable steering column then too.

3. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

I'll need to get all the safety enhancements done anyway though due to the increase in capacity. But I do see what you're saying, engineers really do love their bolts! You say 283 will bolt on, what about a 327? Or are they mounted differently? I know that if I go to 350 I need a collapsible steering column, since the 350 engine is an increase of 45% or more... It's not all bad really, if I get outta shape on the road one day I'll be thankful for the disc brakes and seat belts that's for sure!

4. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hey, I have some dropped uprights that I wanted to put in with longer springs to give me more travel in the front end. Would you say that would mean they'd want a collapsible steering column then??

5. Fe26

Fe26

Jasper6120 has been losing sleep over his desire to have a safe ride at an affordable price. In this we commend him.

What kind of fool is so stupid as to say; my desire to travel in my own way and in my own creation is to the risk of others as may be.

What kind of fool argues; it is my right to do as I please without regard to the wellbeing and safety of others who share the same road as me?

What kind of fool is it who can say in a 'court of law' when it all goes 'tit's up', hey! That's my rights you're taking away with your stupid laws and regulations, what kind of fool ruins himself and his family with lawsuits and imprisonment, for want of his rights, his freedoms over that of others.

That kind of fool puts himself first.

That kind of fool blames others for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That kind of fool argues in the face of reason, it is my 'right' to do such things to others, without regard for or of the consequence, and that the rights of others are not as important as 'my rights'.

That kind of fool does his prison time hard, knowing each day 'he was in the right' and the poor people he maimed or killed were unworthy of their lives, as the fool he was more worthy of his.

That kind of fool will never know the comfort that money spent on safety is the best money he could ever spend.

That kind of fool will never know the shame his family will feel every day that they have to live in their communities, knowing that the one who was supposed to be the 'head' of their house, hides his head in shame (or in jail) while they try to survive the 'slings and arrows' the snide comments, the turned away faces of their neighbours, that their 'hero', the one that stood by 'his rights' over the rights of others talks with too loud a mouth, and not enough brains.

Jasper, you are earning a well deserved sleep. In the awful event some dreadful event happens, you will be comforted and assured that if the integrity of your vehicle is ever called to question, you will be able to produce Government Certified Documentation which in effect says; this vehicle applies with and to the standards expected of a modified vehicle in place at the time of construction.

Furthermore, in your driving of your car, you will no doubt have the 'grumble' and the satisfaction of knowing that; given the choice, you would rather have not gone to the trouble, and not spent the money, but you did, and that money, is money well spent.

6. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Cheers Fe26. I appreciate what your saying. I guess how ever most of us wish to have safe vehicles and its mainly the sheer cost of engineer consultations and certificates that can make some of our goals seem too expensive and thus unattainable. My car already had seat belts in the front, but it never had a demister or window washers. I haven't had a problem with that but the law says I need em, so on they go.

7. DougHH

DougHH

Hey Jasper, The 283 and the 235 more or less share engine mounts (atleast they do in my 59) with the difference being the 235 has a bracket between the engine and the rubber mounts to get that 45 degree angle the v8's have at the mounts naturally. I dont think the 350 or 327 are EXACTLY the same type but i would call some of the local parts suppliers or have a look on ebay as there could exist 'bolt in' type conversion mounts perhaps?

Honestly if i was you i would consider a collapsable column now even if you dont need to. First of all should you want to put a 350 in it later its already done. secondly if you are in an accident, and your seat belts do a good job holding you in place, you'll have a non-collapsable column spearing towards your chest... just a thought mate.

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The problem, and i mean this, its not so much how you approach your build, but its the FACT that stupid people will act stupid no matter what you or anybodyelse say, and most probably this is the reason for the need of mentioned engineering rules.
    Pretty much anybody w/ a functioning brain will know that its better to build a "safe" car, both for yourself and for other people.

Honestly speaking, i think most will do so because they care about themself, and second to avoid killing someone, but mostly because of the consequences this could have on, guess what? themself.
    Your "what kinda fool, that kinda fool" poem sounds good on paper maybe, but in real life, thinkin about yourself first its only natural, its just a matter of being honest w/ yourself.

This said, Jasper, glad to hear all went well. After all, glass was on the checklist, and belts, if werent, are an easy add on. The only pain could be the disk conversion, but that is a plus too really.