Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tried searching... Model A coupe into Truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Strangers29, Jun 13, 2011.

1. I've searched but cant find anyone on here that has built an RPU out of a 5-w coupe. I know that the doors are longer on the truck then the coupe. Which is why i've heard of several people taking the sedans and converting them into coupes. but i've never heard of someone chopping the back half off of a coupe to make a truck.

This weekend i was working on the coupe and removed the rear quarters and realized that was basically a truck cab. i've got a pair of truck doors located and so i think all i've got to do is move the latch side of the door back.

Im going to build the cab basically from scratch (only using the original cowl basically).

Heres what i've tack welded into place to see what it looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did i not search the right keywords? or am i completely left field for thinking this would look okay?

2. David Chandler

David Chandler

Now that you have gone this far, I supose you have to do it. But your idea is similar to other builds. My project started with a cowl, and I worked my way back from there. However I can't say as I bother changing the doors. You can add space behind the B pillar and pretty much do the same thing. Especially considering that you already have doors. But coups were converted into trucks during the gas rationing days. Simply by putting a box where the trunk would be.

3. I've only got one door, and its been chopped up to pieces by the original owner. I've found a guy thats got a pair of doors that match (only reason im even considering them).

I've also thought about using coupe doors and leaving it, because as is, i've got plenty of leg room. It just depends if i find a pair of coupe or sedan doors first i guess.

4. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

You said you removed the quarters. what shape are they in and what did you do with them?

5. They are sitting in my garage still, the quarters really are still in usable shape. there was some small rippling on them, and the previous owner cut all the floor framing out. so there wasnt much support there. plus im missing the deck lid, and the upper and lower piece of sheet metal.

Im still on the fence as to whether i should re-attach the rear half or keep going (thats why i tack welded it all for now)

6. The Model A coupe is going to be worth far more than a home built truck ever will.
    Id be intersted in the rear qtrs if you want to sale them, just let me know.

7. See, people do this with sedans because the sedan has a back panel that lends itself to easily shortening the body. With a coupe you have to make all that stuff; the coupe has more room inside than the pickup and is a more desirable finished product.

But you can probably sell those quarters for good money since no one repops them.

8. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

if i remember correctly the back of this truck was all custom, Vic basicly started with a cowl and doors, it isn't really that common for someone who has quarters to do it though, usually gets done because they are cut off.

[​IMG]

9. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

sorry about the big pic it's not mine i posted it from the classifieds i remembered seeing it for sale

10. Im not all that conserned with re-sale of the car. i just want something that not everyone around here has... and that is enjoyable to drive. (course there arent all that many coupes around here either... Engine Pro and another cat here in town plus me. thats about all the coupes here haha)

I think im going to just get the frame completely built. Get it boxed in, and rolling, then look for a nice 31 coupe. (might even consider going ahead and dropping my sedan body onto this frame...would prefer not to tho haha)

11. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Hey I asked first .:)

12. I did the same thing a few years ago with a 34 Plymouth. I posted lots of pictures.

13. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

you cut up a coupe..... to make that......

[​IMG]

14. No Johnny, the coupe rear half is still completely attachable. infact its still cross braced and square to where all i have to do is slip it around the rear post and tack weld it back on.

The tubing was all stuff that i had laying around and so i thought i'd whip up a rear piece to see what it looks like. But by the sounds of it, i'll be putting the rear back on it :) Thats the nice thing about metal, you can always convince it to do something else. if it were wood, i'd have to go buy more wood now haha.

15. Probably your best bet.

16. And thats why i came to this site! It looks like i'll be slapping the ass back onto it this weekend. Glad ya'll are honest and straight to it. Alot of folks would say "sure it looks okay" "do what YOU want" ya'll basically tell it how it is.

Thanks HAMB'ers

17. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Nice start to your project....keep the vision

Grommet

18. DougHH

DougHH

Why would anyone want to turn a Coupe into an RPU? I cannot think of one good reason to destroy a coupe.

19. robleticia

robleticia

I'm gonna be sick......

20. anteek

anteek

What happened to the '40-'41 pickup project?

21. I've got both projects going right now... The 41 ford is my main priority, but i've got the 29 coupe that way if i feel "burnt out" on the truck i can roll it to the side and work on the coupe.

Although thus far i havent felt burn out on the truck nearly as much as the coupe.

And yes, i keep saying coupe...because thats what its remaining.

22. Oh and Anteek, the coupe came before the truck haha. I actually scored the truck because i wanted the rear axle out of it for my coupe. but then decided i wanted the whole truck as well haha.