Register now to get rid of these ads!

1965 Dodge Coronet 440 4 door build suggestions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Coroner 318, Jul 5, 2011.

1. The Coroner 318

The Coroner 318

I have been screwin' around for years now doin things here and there on it. Its a 65 dodge coronet 4 door 3 on the tree poly 318 wide block, bench seats. I bought it a few years back and drove it daily for almost a year. In december i hit a patch of ice and the A pillar on the passenger side had a make out session with a firehydrant, needless to say it did not make me happy. I would have just gotten rid of it, but 65 mopars around here (NYC) are very rare. If you do find one, its already built and priced rediculously high, or is too far gone to even bother starting a project with, so the car is sitting in my driveway making a nice home for spiders. It really gets under my skin when i look at it, i can save most of the car but would it even be practical to try and pull the A pillar, considering the floors are basically nonexhistant? The fenders are good the motor and trans need a rebuild the rear is good, all of the suspension parts are good, and i want to stick with 64, 65 b body mopar stuff. Should i try and find another 4 door shell and swap parts? or forget that idea and just start fresh? I would perfer a 2 door but then i would want to go the 413 4 on the floor tubbed out, 15 wide tire superstock route. Meaning i have a great parts car right now other than that its scrap. Sugesstions, tips, and ideas are all welcome. Please help me out.

2. jrstockwagon

jrstockwagon

bummer, i think you should look for another car. you can find nice cars over here in ca. even with shipping you will be further ahead than buying a rusted out one from there.

3. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Find a different car.

4. Rusty46

Rusty46

If you really want a two door and the car you have isn't TOO far gone, you can always get a two door donor in bad or "to far gone" condition and make yours a two door. Many people have done that with '62-'65 b bodies...

The definiton of "to far gone" can really vary". $$ is always better spent by getting the least rusted body that you can find. You come out WAAAY ahead in the long run.

5. The Coroner 318

The Coroner 318

thank you. i may simply go with a 2 door. im not sure yet.

6. The Coroner 318

The Coroner 318

Ive been thinking about it and it a numbers matching all original car. Im not sure i can scrap a peice of history like its a 93 toyota corolla.

7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

8. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

I've had some 63-65 Dodges, a couple of them 4 doors like yours.

It comes down to this.... It's gonna be much cheaper to find another 4 door sedan then it ever will be to fix that one. You'll have find a donor for the A pillar and if you're lucky the repop floor from a 2 door will work, but doing the work ain't for the faint of heart and having someone do it will far exceed the value of your car.

Look for another (they're out there) and use yours for parts.