Register now to get rid of these ads!

Body Repair Alternatives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by supercharged, Jul 5, 2011.

1. I am new to bodywork leading and I was looking for advice.
    Has anyone used the Eastwood lead free body solder and how easy was it to use?
    How large of a hole can be filled using this material?

Other than welding on a new panel, is there any decent alternative to solder and Bondo filler? I was told that some of the new metal filled epoxy fillers could also be used, like JB Weld or other 3M or Loctite products. That sort of makes sense, because those epoxies are used to mend metal machinery parts.:confused:

2. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Lead and bondo are used to smooth out surfaces. Steel patches welded over holes is the proper way to fill holes and then filler is applied over the patches. Good body work requires very little filler.

3. All true statements, however for those without access to a welder or normal need to buy one...is there an alternative?

4. Other guys know a lot more about this than I do. I'm guessing they use adhesives like you see being used on some exotic cars during manufacturing.
    From what I understand, to get a roof top replaced on a late model Chevy pickup, the replacement top gets glued on with a high dollar adhesive that is some sort of an epoxy. I guess the panels get shaped like you would do before welding and then grab a different gun.
    That's how much I know about that part of body work. Not my part of the world.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

5. bikersteve

bikersteve

3M panel bond can be used to adhere patches....not sure how it would hold up in the long run though, plus by the time you add up the cost of the product and applicator you could rent a welder for a day or two....
    I wouldn't plan on filling a hole larger than 1/8" with plastic or anything else other than braze, solder or weld
    just my $.02

6. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

There is no easy way out. Some jobs require one to follow the tried and true methods. Others have tried to cut corners and have suffered the pain of failure. If you want a quick fix, try the used carlot trick and put duct tape over the damaged area and smear bondo over it. It will last for a few months and then you can do it over again. If there was an easier way to do body work sucessfully, then us cheap bastards on the HAMB would be doing it. Do it right the first time and don't worry about it later. A small welder is a cheap pdrice to pay and will be used more than you think. Good luck.

7. badshifter

badshifter

The simple alternative is to pay someone to do it for you. Do it yourself, or have it done for you. Either way, don't cheap out on the foundation of your bodywork. It WILL catch up to you, sometimes very quickly.