Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I trade for a 47 Cadillac??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sgt_Slacker, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Sgt_Slacker

Sgt_Slacker

hey all!! quick question:

ive got the chance to trade for a 1947 Cadillac Fleetwood. it looks to be all there with original flat head v8. (im trading a 2001 Mazda B3000 Pickup truck)

he said he does not hav title but he bought it from a dealership and has all the legal paperwork. the dmv (California) told him its not in the system and said when its running to drive it there and they will get a title made up.

what im asking is should i take him up on the trade, will it be easy to get a pink and what years is it compatible with for parts/easy to get parts????

here are pix of the Cadi:

Attached Files:

2. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

:cool:why the hell you even asking?!you know damn well what we're going to say. go get it

3. Sgt_Slacker

Sgt_Slacker

LOL!!! yea i know ;), i want to get it BUT i dont know if its hard to get parts for and if its a bitch to get a title. i kinda screwed myself on the 56 plymouth i have, RIDICULOUS to find parts for!!

4. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

5. Sgt_Slacker

Sgt_Slacker

6. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Some parts will always be hard to find, but there are vendors out there if you are willing to pay. On my 68 there is a device that speeds up the idle for when the ac is running, looks kind of like a choke pulloff only mounted opposite it. I think the vendor was wanting 60-90ish dollars for it. So the stuff may not be cheap but it is out there.

7. :d :d :d

Attached Files:

8. rld14

rld14

A 10 year old Mazda pickup is worth a hell of a lot less than a solid 47 Cadillac.

And yeah, regardless you'd be told to do it anyway.

Do it.

9. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

do it but DO not i repeat DO not drive it there to get the title made, thats how they get you is you show up, they come out and see that you drove it there with no title or tags and such, they will impound it. thats how bad ca. wants our stuff off the road you can do all the paper work and a vin verifaction, and take it in with out them even seeing the car and have no problems. grad the vin and make shure its not in the system

10. sololobo

sololobo

Do it! ~sololobo~

11. raidmagic

raidmagic

I wouldn't take his word for the paper work being in order. I would take the paper work down to the DMV myself and make sure it's all clean before I did the swap. Other than that if you don't need the truck and want another project car go for it.

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I agree with the others but I would want a title up front.. Could be a hassle later..

13. robleticia

robleticia

Mazda or Caddy....hmmmmm, REALLY??? Are you F*@cking kidding me? Get the Caddy!!!!!!

14. Hell, the missing fender skirts from the Caddy likely got made into the Mazda pickup he's trying to trade you, don't hesitate too long!

15. All Cads of thr 40's in Sylmar,probably has any part you will need,,new or used..go by and visit them

16. if he wants the deal, and he has all the LEGAL papers, why hasn't he titled it to his own name. even an idiot knows a car sells better with a title than one without. make him do the paperwork.

17. csimonds

csimonds

RUN DON'T WALK, Are you there yet dropping the mazda off and getting out of there before this guy relizes what he just did?
    Chuck

18. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Check the paper work out, it shouldn't be a big problem to do that much, then go from there, I'd trade a Maz for that in a heart beat, or at least from what I see in the pictures, those are a nice cruzin car just as they are, I get to play with one once in a while, parts are a little tough to find for some of the stuff on it, the one I work on has a "72" 500 under the hood, so I don't know anything about the flatty, but inside and trim parts can get pricey.
    All Cads is no longer in Slymar he got bought up by Cal Trans for a highway off ramp so he took the money and ran to Lost Vegas, Tony the front counter guy is great to work with, the owner is a prick, I don't use them unless I absultutly have to.
    A lot of places start at the 48/49 year for parts, 99% of those don't fit the 47, it is a bastard chiled pretty much of its own, it doesn't even have a parts manual of its own, remember this is just after the war so manuals from the 41/42 and some parts of 48 are used for it, reprints are available so thats not a problem, after working on this one I wouldn't be afraid of that one, it looks pretty complete, even has the orginal radio, there is a gent up here in Arroyo Grande that can rebuild that radio into a modern unit but still looks the same and works great.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  19. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

i wouldnt trade UNLESS he has a good title! if all the paper work is legit why doesnt he get a title??? sounds like he is trying to dump a car with a title problem

20. Labold

Labold

I'd trade but I would look into the title issues first.
    If nothing else, it will get the Mazda out of the driveway.

21. slik

slik

If you are not going to get it, tehn pass along the info to us fellow HAMBers. we will gladly pick it up.
    The title issue can be taken care of across state lines with a bill of sale.
    just saying.

I would trade it. lots of parts are out there. if you join the CLC, there are a lot of great guys in the club that will help you find stuff (including me).

22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

;) Great Advice! If it's a go you can take care of both titles at the same time and protect both of you from liability,worse case senario is He has your truck gets in a wreck injuries incurred and He hasn't registered it yet, and the legal owner is still you :eek: Do the trade if all is OK.

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

listen to everyone giving opinions with no idea what the truck looks like or is worth and crappy pics and few details on the Caddy.

I searched for 2 months to find my latest truck.. the Mazda could be worth $1500.00 or $5500.00.

this place cracks me up.

24. chillywilly

chillywilly

Contact I partoutchevys here on the hamb. Guys name is Rich and he registers/titles stuff all over the world for a very good price. I used him and so have a few of my buddies with no hassle.

25. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Get the Caddy. The hassle you may have later in getting a title would totally be worth trading a 47 CADDY for a mazda....

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EXACTLY what I was thinking. The 47 is a mordoor too. Is it a 60S or a model 62? 47 Cads are favorites for CCCA CARavans so there's some residual value there but not like a model 62 fastback or conv. Convertibles are getting close to 6 figure land in P E R F E C T condition. Mordoors cost WAAYY more to restore...AND THERE'S A TITLE ISSUE! Think it through. I've seen Mazda pickups locally for $3500. I have to think that the Caddy is similar price-wise. Be prepared to keep it for a long time. FWIW I have a model 62 4dr in pieces just 30 paces from me as I type this. It's a customer's parts car with little to no rust anywhere. It was complete when he found it for $15-1800. I don't recall exactly what he paid. Just sayin...

27. Sgt_Slacker

Sgt_Slacker

THANKS! but now my biggest worry is the title. but yea, if i dont get i will post on here!

28. Sgt_Slacker

Sgt_Slacker

see now im torn!! my truck is selling for around $3500-$5500, BUT no one is buying them at the moment. (i just want the f@#king truck out of my yard!!! its useless to me) yes he wants $3500 for the car (or trade)

its not a fast back model.

the whole "i have the paper work for title, but no title" bugs me! "y hasnt he got it him self?"

and yes if the title is on the up and up ill make the trade, if not i will post the info on here for others to check out.

thank you all for the input!!! ill ask him today and see y he hasnt gotten the pink yet and post it.

if you want to see what my truck looks like just, go to the california craigslist and the the inland empire site, type in 2001 mazda b3000 (im not sure if im allowed to post links on here)

29. Sgt_Slacker

Sgt_Slacker

true, but the mazda has clean title in hand, registered till dec 2011, passed smog and a daily driver. its ready to go with no problems. the cadi on the other hand has the "title issue" , not running AND when i asked if he could at least try to move the engine by hand to see if it not frozen he said " i can get the radiator fan to move" (with the belts on)

i need to go look at it first, but i dont want to drive and hour and a half away to just wasit gas and time on a "no title, frozen engine and possible back fees" car. :(

dam this is tuff!!!

30. Sgt_Slacker

Sgt_Slacker

he said the dmv said "it was too old to be in the dmv records. the dealer gave me leagal paper work" ????? dont know what that means