Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Goodguys, Des Moines Ia. Heartland Natl's Friday pic's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod roadster, Jul 2, 2011.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

VERY true!

In my opinion, complaining without suggesting a solution is whining.

2. That's a bullshit statement! You actually think there will be shows for 83 Malibus and 85 Pontiacs! NSRA and GG shows should keep their cut-offs at '65 TOPS!!! Anything newer should go to another event. I hate going to a "Hotrod" show and seeing a bunch of Musclecars and Pick-ups,etc. Or,maybe they should change their name to National Whatever Association....

3. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Thank you

4. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

Easy..... You have to rember that everyone grew up in different generations. I have a couple of those genrations of cars. And no, in 2011 I don't think they should be allowed in GG's. Twenty years from now, maybe. 80's cars are what I grew up driving. I still have the one I drove in High School. Older cars are getting harder, and harder to find, and less afordable for younger generations. Sometime things will have to change. Just opinions from a different generation.

5. I am damned near 70 years old and have been on both sides of the fence. I had and loved "street rods", Tri Five Chevys and muscle cars. To me it is great being able to see them all at one venue. I have been to all the GG events other than the ones they have added in the past 3 or 4 years and to me there is none better than GG Des Moines. It has it all, shade, on the street parking, great vendors, fantastic food and great people. The show has grown and the reason it has grown is partly because it was opened up to the types of cars that you can see there. I have missed going there only once in it's 20 years. Great show.
    Later,
    Dick

6. jho

jho
    from Omaha

I had fun good cars good boobies and good beer thanks for the pics Gary

7. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

What no pics:D

8. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Sorry but you are protecting your job and not looking at what the people are saying, Good Guys is only out for the money, they don,t care about any body else. We are not going to any more shows

9. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

i had a blast up there saturday.
    we made the mistake though of grabbing a 12pk at the kum and go west of the fairgrounds. well dad did i was driving
    got about 10 miles south of osceola, and a dick pulled us over. prolly saw the MO plates. nailed me for a 127$ cracked windshield ticket from when i rolled the s10 3 weeks ago;), and a no insurance paper ticket for 397$, and dad a 330 $ open container ticket.

id say iowa is broke bunch of pole smokers(the state, not the people) beings he didnt care that i was waiting on the insurance company to cut the check for the repairs ;)

o well next yr ill have the 57 there :cool:

10. slammed

slammed

If you have insurance, fax the data ASP to the IA court house/county of ticket. A good chance it will be null. The cracked winda ticket was lame of the Barney. The open container of swill was Homer Simpson all thee way-DOH!

11. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

I lived in Iowa for 5 years and the people were great!! The only two speeding tickets I've received were in Iowa and I must say both times, the officers were ASSHOLES BIGTIME!

Fight the no insurance paperwork!

12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Kirk and Hemi - good to meet you guys finally and thanks for taking a picture of my 57 Fairlane.
    I appreciate it. Good to place a face with a HAMB name.

BTW - Thanks for stopping and talking to the guy with the 56 next to me, taking pics really made his day. BTW - he's 73 years old. Great story. The car was old school art - had so many tastefull mods - you have to agree.

Hot -Rod Roadster Gary - I wasn't there to Friday and didn't see Rocky so don't know if he came.

As far as another gate, actually Saturday it was nice that they opened up the Dean ave entrance to get in and out. I used it Saturday and drove right in at 6:30 am with no wait, got a great spot and drove out at 6:00 pm with no wait. So it was a good option to have.
    People who tried to enter and leave the main 33rd entrance - when leaving of course get caught up in the cruising line.

Dean is a great option - much appreciated.

Good to see everyone !

I always enjoy the Good Guys show in Desmoines, besides the cars, it also is a time of enjoying friends.

Next year - I am looking at having a Friday night cook out again at my place like two years ago. That is if you guys can handle my grilled and smoked 1' thick cut pineapple glazed pork chops.

Cob

13. badram86

badram86
    from iowa

it use to be pre 1962 cars only, i like muslce cars too, but your right, i can see all the muscle cars i want at the local shows, i go downthere to see the classics only, they dont go to the local shows too much so des monies is the only place to see the oldies.

14. badram86

badram86
    from iowa

but the hobby does need to bring in new blood, or there would be no hotrodders left, gg show has always been good sized 3000 to 4500 cars, at times, its good to see the ecomemy hasnt slowed down the hobby.

15. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Thank you

Cob, thanks for your comments, and I can still taste the food from your party 2 years ago. It was great. Sorry I missed you. Hows the old truck doin

16. Good to see you again, Cob!! Make sure to let us know if you do a cook out!

Can't speak for everybody in Iowa, but our cars are built to be driven! Salina is an awesome show!! Doctors info toward the wife made it sound worse than expexted so we changed plans this year. But we will be back in 2012!

Ya the 61 Fury I should have never let go, but things happen. Pella, really?? You know you always have a room at our house when your in town!!

17. alchemy

alchemy

I am a traditional type guy all the way, but I do enjoy seeing '67 Chevelles (since I have one). So, lower the entrance year to 1967 and earlier. :)

I thoroughly enjoy the show, and actually did enjoy seeing some of the later models cutting corners around the auto-cross. Who knew that I'd ever like auto-cross? Huh.

Just make sure you don't go above the '72 cutoff and you should be fine. If the fairgrounds is getting too crowded, how about you not allow any tri-five Chevys. You see one of them you've seen them all. ;)

As for entering the grounds, I had a much shorter wait on Friday and Saturday than in years past. So either I came at just the right time, or maybe things are going smoother. Can't think of any other way to do it, because other entrances would back traffic onto city streets, and the police would not like that.

Keep up the good(guys) work KIRK!

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL...I happen to like Tri-fives...but not so strangely, IMHO, if GG's would simply not allow '32 Fords any longer, one third of all the cars on the grounds would be eliminated...you seen one of those, you've seen 'em all, especially those painted resale red...!!! :rolleyes:

R-

19. alchemy

alchemy

I will also LOL...as I happened to drive a red '32 last weekend. ;)

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

Sorry, but you are 100% wrong about me. You obviously don't know me or anyone who does.

As for Goodguys, yes they are in it to make money, its called being in business. But if you're implying that the company is not driven by a passion for cars you are wrong again.

Guess where I'm typing this. From the backseat of Bob K's Chevy cruising with the top down, 70mph on I74 in Illiinois on our way from Des Moines to Columbus.

Oh, and guess who I see when I look behind us....Gary Meadors in his slammed '58 Impala.

But I guess you know best, we're just in it for the money.

You guys keep whining, I'll keep cruising!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  21. Master of None

Master of None

That's cool, next time man, you looked way busy like a kid picking up candy at a parade. Some days its just good to be seen.

22. hemi

hemi

Jerks! Lame! Clueless!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  23. Amen

24. Damn, Kirk, I didn't realize you were that good looking and that BobK, what a sweetheart.
    Oh, by the way I worked all my life and would not take a pay check. BULLSHIT!!!

Later,
    Dick

25. 2002p51

2002p51

Ha ha! Perfect! :D

26. slammed

slammed

27. suedestude

suedestude

Its all about the money. Great pictures.... Yes it was hot as hell and the new cars can stay home!!!

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think both side of the argument need to do a better job of seeing themselves in the other's shoes.

It's a business. Yes. Understand that.

Customer have opinions. Yes. See through the frustration to address those opinions.

At the end of the day, we are all car guys. It can't be that bad.

29. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Kirk - Hemi,
    Good to meet you guys.
    Have fun with Bob K - he's an adventure in itself. Bob's a fun guy.

Travel safe and catch you down the roed.

Cob

30. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I want to see more pictures from the show.. How about Saturday pictures