Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Willys Wagoneer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by norby48, Jul 4, 2011.

1. I just bought this. It's got a Ford Y-block in it. It "ran when parked 5 years ago." I couldn't find any posts about them here. I saw some stuff on-line.
    Anyone got one? I need ideas and some small parts............

Attached Files:

• jeep.jpg
      jeep.jpg
      File size:
      43.3 KB
      Views:
  2. If you look for Willys Jeepster you'll have better luck. I have a '55 I picked up last year. Parts are available and a lot of them are surprisingly cheap -

3. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

I have one with an 87 Toyota pickup chassis and drivetrain under it. I really should finish it someday.

4. retromotors

retromotors

Jeepster/Willys wagons and pickups are extremely cool. Nice find!

I've located one in similar condition on a neighbor's property. It has had a Chevy 230 or 250 six installed using a J.C. Whitney adapter kit. (How's that for traditional ...!);)

On my initial approach, he indicated he was just gonna let it sit there and rot.
    I've been buttering him up with yard eggs and bullshit, maybe eventually I can get him to see reason.

Anyway, good luck with your wagon!
    Retro

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Its been a pipe dream of mine to build one some day …. I think there kinda off topic here.

6. How's it OT? It's postwar, American made. I want to chop it, run a small V8, do a little customizing for tail lights and bumpers, upgrade the steering and stopping, and drive the shit out of it.........

7. second_floor_loft

second_floor_loft

norby48:
    A couple of places for you...
    WillysTech.com.... info and a parts board

yahoo news group by the same name... Willys Tech.... Many members and lots of info. Very knowledgeable folks there.

Walcks4wd.com If it's vintage Willys, they've got it.

Kaiserwillys.com Good folks, big inventory

Willysamerica.com Another great source.

Regards:
    Paul

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

earliest ones were 1947 and most were 2WD, later ones offered 4WD and the car was known as a Willys Station Wagon 6-226 (six cylinder). I've had a couple - one was a 47 2wd with a flat four...drove it all over. Second was a 1956 with a 283 and stock Jeep 3spd (T96?) and a dual stick transfer case (T-18?). Some may call them OT, but with a sbc or sbf and you dont' beat it too hard, they'll take you anywhere in style. Fairly flat dash, so you can get creative if you're a gauge lover. Plenty of room. If you're searching...just type WILLYS (no apostrophe, no WILLEYS) into Craigslist, Ebray, other popular sites. I loved my 2nd one....had it up in Kodiak, AK for awhile, we forded streams and climbed some tough hills. Just a HOT ROD 4x4

dj

9. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Yeah they get shut down pretty quick for some reason. Make great grocery getters and or shop trucks and great for those overnight swap meets! Doing a '53 Wagon, a '48 Jeepster Vert. and a '48 Panel as we speak!

11. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

http://oldwillysforum.com/

I am building a 58 for a year round daily driver.
    This seems to big the biggest online community with lots of cool projects.

12. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

jeepsters were very popular for swapping in a flathead V8 back in the early 50s, and made quite a snappy ride. Considered a hot rod, there shouldn't be any resistance to their inclusion in this forum.

dj

13. i'll take the y block and adapter off your hands if you want to get rid of them
    heck i am just in the northern sub burbs of chicago too
    tk

14. Under-dash shot of the glove box.

Attached Files:

15. another of the drivers floor

Attached Files:

16. A heads-up for anyone who's interested. I'll be scrapping the rolling chassis. I've got a '96 Dodge Dakota pick up with the 5.2l (318), with a 5spd. for it.

The "ran 5 yrs. ago" Y-block is stuck-like-chuck. The oil on the dipstick looks like pudding.
    it has a 3spd with 4whl drive. It rolls easy. I'll list it in the classified section when it's ready to go for scrap-iron price. PM me if you want it.....

17. OLDRAY

OLDRAY

Jeepster.jpg Good luck With your project. If your into bolt on goodies and you want to be like everyone else, this is not the build for you.

18. There are a couple of fellas with them in the odd rods social group.

19. Thanks. I sold the chassis to a guy who is going to restore one with his 14 yr. old daughter. Nice guy
    Here's the latest pic of mine. It's sitting on wood blocks waiting to be fitted to the frame and driveline.
    [​IMG]

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

This is their day, there were at least 6-8 of those Station Wagons and 1 Sedan Delivery at the Decatur Swap Meet a couple of weeks ago. Most were priced right.

21. Paid $400 for mine. Sold the chassis for $300.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

learned to drive when 14 in one of these