Register now to get rid of these ads!

What the h*ll is Leno talking about...Pour-on-Chrome?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Jul 4, 2011.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I was watching My Classic Car and Jay Leno was showing off some new technology type of chrome plating...that isn't chrome plating...and it isn't paint.

He didn't say what company makes this new stuff or even what it is called, but he said that you spray prime the part first and then POUR this solution over the part and it hardens just like chrome...and it looks like chrome!

I took these pics directly from my TV and you can see how well the parts shine...it really does look like chrome. The hood ornament has only half of it "chromed", the other half is original pitted pot metal. The motorcyle gas tank has been totally "chromed".

He said it's water based and environmentally friendly?

What it this stuff?

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. studematt

studematt

Yea I saw that but he didn't say who made it or where you could get it so what the hell.

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

4. 1951fordf100

1951fordf100
    from Idaho

Saw that one last week too. Sure would like to try it.

5. jfrolka

jfrolka

I wonder if a call can be made to lenos garage

6. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Similar to silvering on light reflectors?

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

8. nulbmanager

nulbmanager

9. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Would love to see it on some parts.. fake chrome normaly looks like fake chrome.. and the chrome shops have been holding us ransom for way too long could be the next best thing to sliced bread

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I smell a busine$$ opportunity here...

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sounds cool to me. I wonder how it really looks up close, next to some real, gee-whiz-bang chrome? Gary

12. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I've researched this for some time now and there are some products that are more like a paint but they do need some "special" equipment. You can see this page:

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/chromefx/

hope this helps

13. I was just thinking the same thing, want a partner :eek:

14. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

lol would be a good deal for $$ only if it looks good ..remember the hopes with chrome in a can didnt look anything like chrome not even a good silver

15. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

they will have flying machines before you know it

16. old me

old me
    from Iowa

Thanks for the link Mazooma!
    Saw the show last week and thought it to be another cheezy chrome like rip off, but didn't think Leno would use crap on some of his high end stuff.
    It'll be worth checking out.
    And Jay also mentioned it was pretty cheap to do.

17. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Go to the Jay Leno's garage website and search for chrome, it will bring up a link that shows a video on it with Jay. Not actually pour on, they spray it in the video but it looks like it could be poured because there is a lot of runoff and no runs in the product. Loked like cool stuff for the interior stuff you need rechromed.

18. Old as hell.....All you ever wanted to know about this JUNK (and other spray chrome methods)can be fond here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=525744&highlight=spray+chrome

Freshly sprayed
    [​IMG]

Same bumper after a few months in the sunlight- it has turned yellow, pink in some spots, clouded/hazed in others, peeling, blotching, etc. Lovely, isn't it? Total garbage!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have used this garbage....RUN AWAY!!!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  19. question is how does it hold up to the sun's uv rays?

20. I wonder which product Jay was talking about because the article from BASF suggests that it can be more expensive than chrome but its increased longevity counterbalances the cost. I can't see too many guys paying more for fake chrome when the real thing is still available.

21. Deuces

Deuces

Can it be sprayed on styrene plastic???? :rolleyes::D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  22. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I saw that also last weekend and was totally blown away by the looks of the end results ! The possibility's are endless ! that would save a ton of money from a re chrome shop having to do all the small name plates , dash parts and so on that are in our cars ! I am sure that it won't be the same as real chrome but if it looks good then I am all for it .
    just curious on how hard it will be to bring into this country by UPS or another shipper ? Anyone know of any US suppliers yet . Seems to me that this would be a really great investment for anyone of us to put a new coating on a lot of parts and maybe some we would want that chrome look for our cars/trucks !
    I just have to find some to try out ! If anyone gets a chance to buy the paint or whatever they call it and try it out , make sure to post some pictures and give your honest opinion of this process and what the end results look like !

Retro Jim

23. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

24. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

I find it odd that "the same bumper" in the after pics has alot more dents and also gained a mounting hole?

Pretty damn sure those are two different bumpers there big guy.

Whether it's shitty or not at least bring REAL evidence to the table,especially if your saying it's crap.

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

That video is amazing! He showed a part that had bondo to cover the pitted areas, and then he just spray chromed the bondo. And they said you CAN spray clearcoat over it for protection....hmmm.

26. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Taken from the website:

"When this surface cures (shortly after [COLOR=white !important][COLOR=white !important]application[/COLOR][/COLOR]), a clearcoat is applied to protect the “chromed” surface. The cool part? The clearcoat, which is water based, can be tinted any shade you’d like to enhance the appearance."

It sounds like every other spray on chrome imitator out there for the last 10+ years. It still has to rely on a clear coat to protect it. Therefore, durabilty will be the same as any other cleared over spray "chrome."
    Leno even says it is not for large parts, further convincing me it is nothing special. It is paint. Clear coat is paint.

The first link to BASF was for a hard chrome alternative. I don't know if that is a possibilty for decorative plating, but I doubt it. Hard chrome is all about wear resistance and thickness with almost zero concern for asthetics.

27. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

It looks like the same bumper to me. It even the same chain pull damage on the bottom edge. The angles are very slightly different , but that's all I can see. The "dents" look like discoloration.

28. lorax54

lorax54
    from Denton, TX

Pretty sure it's the same bumper "big guy". two mounting holes on both.

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

I agree its the same bumper, same mounting holes to my eyes....