Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 Chevy Ring and Pinion - service/replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackmopar, Jun 30, 2011.

1. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

whats happening guys my FIL just procured a very nice 29 Chevy Sedan. Went out crusing the local scenery with MIL and BAM! 15 minutes out I got a call.

Well, wont bore you with details but the Ring and Pinion gears are munched - ring is riveted to the diff case though - anyone know a shop in Socal that would service (ie replace/rivet new gear) or have new old units for sale?

The spider looks good but the ring and pinion are gone

thanks in advance! this is my first pre 40 project and need some help

2. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

really any help at all would be appreciated! thanks guys

3. If the '29 is anything like the '28 Chevrolet rear, they are infamous for being weak. You'll most likely have to find another to replace the bad one (and you're buddy will REALLY have to take it easy on the go-pedal).

However, if he'd like to update the rear and keep the original look with the 6 lug artillery wheels (probably has them), you can use either a Toyota 4Runner or Nissan pickup rear- same width, same pattern, just need to run the hydraulic lines.

4. see my earlier thread about a complete frame I found....thinks it's a 28-32 Chevy...

5. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

6. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

appreciate the help gents!

7. Any time- there is also a '29 ring and pinion set on ebay right now.

8. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

mac - you got a link for it? i searched like 20 pages and couldnt find it - thanks

9. I just checked and it must have sold- thought I had the item info saved, but didn't.

What does your father-in-law want to do with the car? That might dictate which direction you go.

10. LowFat48

LowFat48

11. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

holy guacamole - thanks Lowfat!

12. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

He is Winemaker on here - I just got him signed up a week or so ago. He just scored it about a month ago - it had been pretty well restored with exception to the drive train and I believe he wants to keep it as much original as possible

(I've been trying to coax him the way of hoppin her up a bit but he don't seem at all that interested)

Its ok - its his car! maybe with some more time on here Ill be able to nod him that way

for now we're trying to get him back on the road since his maiden voyage with Mom left him on the side of the road with a rear end grenade!!