Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Got the wifey her first car 1964 Dodge.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Jul 2, 2011.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Well, the other day I had a friend stop by and asked me if I wanted to go look at this 60's Mopar for sale. I decided to take a break and run 15 minutes up the road with him to look at this Mopar. He said he did not know if I would want it or not but I should at least look at it because it runs. Well need less to say I fell in love with it and being my wife and I were talking about picking up a little beater car for her to drive back and forth to work. I thought what the hell this thing should be better on gas than our Expedition and she would have her own vintage tin to push around in.

And here it is a 1964 Dodge Polara 2 door hardtop with a push button trans and what I believe to be a 318 poly motor with a 2bbl dual exhaust with glass packs. The best thing about it is she loves the thing even though it will require some work to get it safe for the road (rot in the floors and torsion bar pockets). I plan to update it to dual master cyl. Any information on these will be grately appreciated.

The Wifey and my little Hot Rod girl Ebony cleaning up the ne addition.

Attached Files:

2. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Just picked up some American Racing (Daisy) wheels for it would love to see how they look if anyone could photo shop some in or has a picture of one with them. Thanks

3. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Love 64 Dodges. Here's one I just looked at yesterday. Gary

Attached Files:

4. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

She wants me to get that same scoop for hers. That one is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

5. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Looks like she is loving it. Very cool. Smart to go through the brakes. Have fun!

6. ScottV

ScottV

You do realize what you have done ... haven't you ???!!!??? :eek:

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Bitchin car and beautiful family.

8. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Yeah she is full of smiles.....and yeah as for the brakes it is not worth chancing them being the car has been sitting for the past 11 yrs.

Yeah and I hope it is working........:eek::D

Thanks Royal this means alot from you on both statments. I hope my boys don't see this because they will ask why they are not in the pics:D.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very cool-hope have done a search on 60's MoPar racers-give you more ideas than your budget can stand-maybe go to a Nostalgia Drag Race-might want to upgrade seat belts, etc-have fun

10. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I been up all night looking and I am getting all sorts of ideas......some of them are bad ideas.....A/FX :eek::D....I have to remember this is her car and supposed to be a family cruiser with attitude. Not a full blown drag car :rolleyes::D

11. M.Edell

M.Edell

Ive had a few of those B Bodies..Love em! Great Car..1964 is the 50th anniversary..

12. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

So who sells patch panels for these cars........

13. M.Edell

M.Edell

Check Ebay..Also go to Moparts.com and for B Bodies only..

14. 4406

from Oklahoma

Nice car. Take a look at the 62-65 superstock mopar thread.

15. toucan

toucan
    from sc

cool car ! dont make it fast just make it safe and let her drive the wheels off it!

16. First;welcome to the Mopar family! I have a thing about '64 Mopars as well-ya think?

The 318 is a good mill,and parts are becoming more readily available through the aftermarket. Floors and trunk(floors) are out there,suspension/steering/brake componenets also available. Check out your cowl area for rust/corrosion as well. I'd recommend switching the rear axle to a later(65-up);you'll need a pair of pullers to remove both the brake drums and axles from the original unit-I did on my Sport Fury and don't regret it-and they(the CORRECT) pullers are difficult to find.

Consider a front disc conversion(from an "A"-body) and 11" drums(or discs) on the rear-with the dual master cylinder.

For B Bodies Only is a great site for info and parts;some of the characters here also inhabit the FBBO-gotta spread the madness.

Pics of progress are required,ya know! Good luck!

17. Hadley

Hadley
    from Indy

18. Old Buzzard

Old Buzzard

19. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

What a great find and the fazct that your wife AND daughter are both interested in the car can only lead to good things. What a lucky guy.

With respect to the brakes, you are definitely doing the right thing, as suggested by the others. I have two '63 Dodges, one a Polara 500 convert and the other a 440 hardtop. I've used a dual master cylinder on both cars and, if I can find the number, it is an off the shelf replacement readily available at most any parts store. I'll get out in the garage to check my receipts. My convert has disc brakes while the 440 still has the drums. Unless you are an agressive driver or plan lots of repeated high speed stops, in my opinion the drum brakes will work very nicely. In fact, unless you plan on power brakes if you do the disc conversion, the drum brakes are much easier on the leg. My wife hates driving the convert as it really takes a LOT of pressure on the pedal to get the car to stop. I don't mind so much, but she hates it! Just my two cents worth...

In any event, welcome to the Mopar clan.

20. nice 64 my friend larry owns sled city fiberglass in columbus ohio he has that scoop and othe glass parts for 62-65 mopars.. specailizes in them infact

high quality glass

21. M.Edell

M.Edell

I got my Max Wedge Scoop from Larry at Sled City..It was on my Black 63 Dodge Max Wedge [​IMG]

22. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

WOW!!! That Scoop is sweet.....would that be the correct one for the our body style?

23. M.Edell

M.Edell

yes it would

24. 64 had two different scoops the max wedge pictured on M.edells dodge ...sweet car and the hemi scoop that was pictured on the red car earlier i like the hemi scoop a little bit more

25. M.Edell

M.Edell

thats correct..mid 64 the Hemis were introduced

26. storm king

storm king

Hemi cars have no second headlight. IMO, the max wedge scoop looks best on the '64, especially a hardtop like this one. Just my opinion, as that's what we ran in '64. Great car, and it looks like you've got a happy family. Not much more you can ask for! I agree that www.moparstyle.com is one of the better, if not the best, Mopar site out there.

27. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Fast update............she got new wheels for her car.....but we are in need of a torsion bar crossmember:(.........but it can be saved:D

Attached Files:

28. 4tford

4tford

the wheels make a big difference.

29. 4tford

4tford

30. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks I will check it out.

Now who thinks I should straight axle this thing.........I am thinking this is a perfect oppurtunity to do so.