Register now to get rid of these ads!

painting finned valve covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by baronvonfrankenstine, Jul 3, 2011.

1. I have a set of finned valve covers that I want to paint black and have the ribs still aluminum. my question is what is the best way to do this should I paint the and sand the ribs down or is their another way.

2. 1/4 in. blue vinyl tape

3. roundvalley

roundvalley

Polish the ribs then use 1/2" masking tape on the tops. Then run a razor blade down each side to cut the masking tape to the exact width.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im redoing a set right now ,I got them off a hamber ,Pits I used Jb weld and then sanded and used epoxy chemical and oil ,Wetsanding tomorrow and painting ,For the fins Ill just block with 80 and work the grits to 400..........

5. Depends on how you want the paint to look. I like the valleys all filled up to the top of the fins. I made it easy and just masked around the perimeter of the fins (basically a box). The outer fins will be covered on the outside (but not the top) with tape, but the middle ones are left bare. Then spray the area, covering the fins and all. While the paint is still wet, take a rag with some solvent on it-not too much and wipe it off the fins. No PITA masking, and no bleed through. The edge is much better by wiping as opposed to masking. It may take a little practice, but the result is nice. Oh, and you need to have the fins polished, or at least not porous.

6. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

7. Deuces

Deuces

Cool!! Anyone else have painted aluminum valve covers???? Let's see'um! :cool:

8. Yeah,I painted mine use this method and they turned out nice. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I'll never mask fin edges again with tape. A PITA. I use cherry flavored Chapstick. Very easy to handle and apply and the red cherry dye lets you see where you have applied it. Try it you'll like it. :D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

That looks c:cool::cool:l!!

11. zomb1e

zomb1e

vasoline... they use it on aircraft too!

12. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

These pics are of 'rat bastads' Deuce.

I love painted finned stuff with bare fins!

Attention to detail on this car is second to none...
    [​IMG]

Note the heads, coil cover, oil filler tube and fuel block are all finned and painted with bare fins....
    [​IMG]

HC.

13. Deuces

Deuces

14. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I know I'm probably going to catch shit for this,but we used a broad nib paint marker pen from a company called "Uni". I use my truck almost every day and the air cleaner looks to me like it's held up very well for the last two months, (see first picture) so I am going to try it on my new valve covers too. My son sat there and painted them with no tape, and an emergency wipe off cloth while he watched TV. Took him about half an hour.

Just my two cents worth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. lawman

lawman

1/8" tape on the fins and 2" tape on the rest of the cover. Then spray can paint.

Attached Files:

16. The uni markers are what I used to paint the Ford logo on my '32 pickup's hubcaps but after 4 years and a lot of cleaning with purple power they need repainting. HRP

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Takes way too long to mask. I just painted them, wiped the fins and letters with thinner, then polished them with 800 grit to get the last bits of color off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only part I masked was the smooth polished areas on either side of the fins.

18. peterr1181

peterr1181
    from Tocumwal

Polish the tops of the fins, wash the covers to remove polish residue, place tape on the top of the ribs, cut excess tape of with sharp blade, prime and paint black.

19. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I have absolutely no doubt that you are completely correct. It's just that being a kripple, those around me like to wade in on the kart whenever possible so I don't have to keep going screaming to the mechanics or body shop every five seconds if there is an alternative we can come up with ourselves. I'm not sure, but I think they call it "instant gratification".:D
    Paul

20. I did the masking tape process and agree it's a PITA. The end result was nice, but took a long time. I'll definitely try the "thinner-on-a-rag" method next time!

Jim

Attached Files:

21. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Not done yet just painted the tops Later tonight Ill paint the sides and sand the fins out tomorrow............. ebay pics 1357.jpg These had extra holes drilled in one cover for staggered I filled it ,I think it will make the motor look bigger painting the same color as the motor,Im probably the first .............

22. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

times 2 on the chapstick ! didnt believe it till i tried it , put a small amount on your finger and rub over the surface you dont want paint on ! when dry wipe the part and the paint over the chapsick comes right off leaving no hard lines like tape

Attached Files:

• vc.jpg
      vc.jpg
      File size:
      61.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  23. Mathius

Mathius

huh. Yeah.. I always thought you painted them, then sanded the paint off and polish.

Mathius

24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That's how I did these.

Attached Files:

25. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 1357.jpg Tomorrow Ill sand and polish the ribs ,I prefiled and da'd ribs before painting.

ebay pics 1358.jpg

ebay pics 1359.jpg

26. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

A couple more....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HC.

27. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Def the way to go

28. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

x2! Works the best in my opinion!

29. Hot damn, got me thinking about painting mine now!!

30. D-man313

D-man313

I painted the tops of mine, then sanded the fins, taped the tops off and painted the sides.

Attached Files:

• 255.jpg
      255.jpg
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
    • 333.jpg
      333.jpg
      File size:
      372 KB
      Views: