Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Goodguys, Des Moines Ia. Heartland Natl's Friday pic's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod roadster, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

2. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Wow. My wife dosen`t go to too many shows. But she looks forward to Des Moines every year. As far as gate admission. My daughter and one of her friends went to Adventureland Saturday. $60 to get in for two people. When Goodguys started, Some of there events only allowed cars up to 54. The majority of there events went to the year 59,if I remember correctly. I`m sure people complained when the cut off dates changed back then too. Allthough 82 is a little extreme for NSRA. This has been my 19th straight Goodguys show I`ve attended in Des Moines. Missed the first one. I`ve only been able to take my car when they moved the cut off year to 72. Plenty of trees. Plenty of parking. Plenty of food vendors, and plenty of area to cruise. And around 3500 cars. Without hesitation, my wife reserved the rooms for next year.

4. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I agree with the destination being the reason for the trip. NSRA events I attend [OKC and SPF MO] are no different than Goodguys that I have been to as far as years of cars. Certainly more driven cars at NSRA than GG's. But then I like 75% of the cars at each. Yeah, my taste is more traditional, but I still like the others. Just don't want one. Thanks for the pictures.

5. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Thanks for the pics. LOVE this one! It's very close to the factory color of my Stude and just gave me the inspiration I needed to blow the cobwebs off and get back to work on it! :cool::cool::cool:

[​IMG]

6. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

..complaining about the crowds at shows...
    Isn't everyone wanting the automotive appreciation community to keep growing? I have never understood why people bitch about the crowds-- or the change of year-entry allowances. Cars are all aging.. Figure that an '82 model car is now 30 years old.. Granted, you don't see them with the classic good looks that cars from the 20's to 60's have.. But, really--it's not worth complaining. People are working with what they have, or what they can afford and isn't it about the cars and the enjoyment. This simple thought needs to be adopted by more, and people stop bitching. Whether you are into the cars photographed in this post--or a '79 Malibu, there is something to be appreciated at shows..
    I think it should be laid to rest. The comments in this make some people sound like grumpy old snobs..

7. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

the history on this '61 is pretty great.....
    used to belong to Lefty and then he sold it....off it went to FL. Then....years later it winds up back in IA! Someone else in the Oliver Group goes and buys it....so it is almost back home to Lefty!!!! ha
    too much and Superdave - thanks for giving me a ride in this amazing ride....
    and Lefty - yeah - you should have never let that one go!!!
    it rides as nice as it looks.
    I appreciate all the people that came by our booth and checked out the video for Torque Fest and we hope that people will continue to support a traditional hot rod/custom show in Iowa.................
    if the HAMB cant support it - then it will be doomed and it will be hard to get something like this rolling again that is strictly limited to truly traditional hot rods.

And on a completely different side note - I had been a vendor at GG Des Moines for 4 or 5 years but stopped doing it 2 years ago due to price increases and the overall attitudes that came from the GG staff - they seemed not to care if we (vendors) were there or not.
    I gotta tell ya - they have some new staff working with the vendors and they are top notch. They actually came by on several occasions to see if we were doing ok......
    while it is still pricey - at least the customer service is a LOT better. Anyone at GG that is reading this post - take note because the other vendors were saying the same things. Customer service does mean something! If the vendors are happy - then the overall vibe of the show translates to all those customers as well - and we are all there to have a positive experience.

As for the crowds - there were none on Friday - too hot!!!!
    But Saturday was great and sunday was not bad either.

I have a completely different perspective on crowds.....I love them.
    Cause if there are no crowds I dont make any $$$
    So again - thanks for all the customers that came by and purchased something and hope to seeya at Pella next week (if I show up)
    or Mecum Auction in Des Moines in 2 weeks or Cruise to the Woods or Greaserama (happens to take place the same weekend as the GG KC - so you should come on over to the Greaserama after the GG show!)

Special thanks to Bruce "Lefty" Oliver for letting me crash his pad - I appreciate it!!!

8. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I saw that green 61 at the Torque Fest show this spring in Iowa. Looks great. Glad it returned almost home.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I built my first HotRod (39 Ford coupe) it was only 30 years old at the time and I was allowed to attend the few rod runs? and outdoor shows at that time. You know, I do remember the guys in the model T club bitchin about them dam late models!

10. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Maybe I am getting old and grumpy, snob...I don't think so. Maybe if GG's is going to allow so many more cars they need to work on new traffic flow idea's. They did open 1 more gate for cars to exit this year, but that gate needs to be open for entry as well. Thanks for posting your opinions.

Thats a good point Gary, but how many cars were at that show. Truth is I love late 60's early 70's muscle cars. My point is they have over crowded this great little venue for the sake of $$$ and have not addressed the extra traffic flow and problems it has caused.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

WHAT...??? I don't see Salina listed in there...why...??? Shirley you're not going to miss that one...???

R-

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Hasn't happened lately with the big venues but I remember in the past some runs with limits to the number of entries. That would creat quite a situation in todays world. Probably in the end it may police itself as to the numbers in attendence, although it hasn't seemed to slow down at BTT50s!

13. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

sadly many people in Iowa are unable to make it all the way to Salina....and in fact Greaserama is a stretch for them.......
    this is why I did not include it.
    YES I will be there - one of THE best shows in the country - and I think I have been to my fair share

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You jest Shirley...I thot everyone is Iowa DROVE their cars...??? Salina, from anywhere in Iowa is a lot closer than the seven hour trip from Denver. What, they don't build cars for long distances...??? You said "unable"...maybe I'm reading you wrong...???

Agreed...if anyone wants to see very kool kustoms, Salina is the place in July.

R-

15. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Can't think of many shows better than Salina. The KKOA has done a great job of creating a very laid back atmosphere and the cars are amazing. Gary

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

The H.A.M.B. should be the H.A.W.G......Hokey Ass Whiners Group.

Too much misinformation, needless whining and straight up stupid complaints here to even start to straighten them out.

All your complaints point to the best car show being you in your driveway by yourselves.

There were so many amazing (HAMB-friendly) cars at the event this past weekend. Sounds like some of you are complaining without even going. The rest are complaining about some pretty petty shit. How about making suggestions? Especially from those of you who have run such a large event without any issues. It sounds like there are several of you out there.

17. hemi

hemi

i had fun, and saw an amazing amount of cool cars.. the 4x4 Mustang was in the swap meet..

18. Philbones

Philbones
    from Illinois

Had a great time at DesMoines. The best Goodguys venue I ever attended. Beautiful fairgrounds, lots to do and see, great Saturday entertainment and fireworks. Large variety of interesting cars and trucks: can appreciate them all. Good to meet those of you who were at the meet-and-greet! :D

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

My favorite venue as well.

Those who didn't have a good time chose not to or are far too sensitive to leave the house.

20. Phil 41 Chevy

Phil 41 Chevy

loved the show , lots of cool cars neat swap meet !

21. haychrishay

haychrishay

the Dean Ave gate has always been open to exit from, I usually use it when everbody is tryin to get out the E33rd Gate.

22. Master of None

Master of None

Love your sideburns...... great event just a bit warm Friday. Nice seeing you again Kirk.:D

23. haychrishay

haychrishay

By the way I was taking your tickets Saturday am and heard 6 or 7 of the attendees ream me about the traffic flow issue. Some thing I find interesting is the amount of people that sit in line and either didn't pay any attention to the registration people when they explain to the participants the they need to have the window tag in the lower right corner of the windshield and they need to have their passes out. I have taken tickets on Saturday morning for 3 years now and if participants would do those to things you would be surprised how much that would alleviate traffic flow problems. And then we have the cheapskates that are trying to sneak 4 or 6 people in on two passes.....or two passes and two kids passes, and everyone in the car is at least 30......

24. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Kirk, thanks for chiming in with all your suggestions and comments. I think there's something in there.
    I'm sure you can see in my first post I'm just stating the obvious, not complaining about, entry fees, venue, people. Simply saying what worked for me "went Friday went home Saturday" even said I'd be back next year to do the same and asked for other people's comments on there experience over the past few years. I offered a couple suggestions Open another entry gate could be a good place to start.
    What does someone with all your experience of BIG shows have to offer for suggestions?
    I also noticed you didn't call us the H.A.W.G. when you were using the HAMB to promote, build and sell your May Cause Dangerous 60 Ford

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  25. hemi

hemi

I don't get the point of this post... other than the pictures, which are of some nice cars.

26. KIRK!

KIRK!

Ha! Glad to see you too. Sorry I was so slammed and didn't get to shoot the shit with you.

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

Actually, I have pointed out the whiners on here since the earliest days of Billetproof. So why do I always come back? because there are a lot of amazing rodders on here who like cars more than whining.

As for the '60 tech threads, I think the thousands who viewed them and thanked me and Alex for them would beg to differ with you.

Like I have always said, don't like an event, start your own. I did.

As for Goodguys, there are tons of guys on here who have offered suggestions and have seen me get them enacted and help make the events better. Better events mean better business. Yes, it is a business.

As for the cutoff year it has been '72 for the past 7-8 years at least. Anyone who can't appreciate all classic cars is not a car guy. Anyone who cant walk past something they don't like to see plenty they do, is an idiot. And when was it a little event?

These whine threads always start out with everyone jumping on the "Goodguys sucks" bandwagon until I get here then more get on the "Goodguys is cool" bandwagon. The most beneficial thing would be for people to site actual examples of things that they think work and don't work. Most things are maleable. Some are not. Anyone who even barely knows me knows I don' stand for bullshit in either direction. I call it on the whiners and I call it on Goodguys.

Your suggestion of exits is good. Your complaint about a Mustang for sale in the swap meet is irrelavent and obviously intended as inflamatory.

28. KIRK!

KIRK!

I guess it comes down to not understanding people complaining about a show being exactly what it presents itself as being. If someone only wants to see one type of car (like @ Billetproof-type shows) then go only to that type of event, simple. If you want to go to an event that has lots of those same type cars and tons of others, go to that one.

29. slammed

slammed

The product sells itself. Same song and dance, 'it sucks' or 'great time'. Good feed back, bad feed back. Life. It's a CAR SHOW. A car show.

30. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

Everyone has there own opinion, and we should see both sides. Thats part of having a message board. I don't think anybody is whining, or complaining, just opinions on how to make things better from another view. If we all thought the same, we would have three thousand cars all the same, and it really wouldn't be a very good car show.