Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Goodguys, Des Moines Ia. Heartland Natl's Friday pic's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod roadster, Jul 2, 2011.

1. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

We rolled over to Des Moines early friday AM to check out the show. Then spent some time Friday nite in the host motel parking lot with Malcolm, Jho (Jason) and his dad. Joe, Trish, and there little boy Zach and a few other HAMB folks wondering about. Had a great time but got up Saturday AM and headed back to Omaha.
    Friday is still a good day there pretty laid back and able to move around, but by Saturday it turns into a crowded mess and lawn chair parking everywhere.
    For me Goodguys has takin what for years has been a great little show at a very cool fairgrounds and ruined it by letting in all the later model stuff that has caused the fairgrounds to bust at the seams. (All about the money I'm sure). I stepped up and paid the $55 entry fee even for the one day I was going to be there and would not have complained to pay more to have them leave it at the old cut-off year and enhance thier revenue by higher entry fees instead. I still enjoy the cruise over there ( it's the journey not the destination) and seeing all the HAMB folks on Friday, and will probably do the same next year.
    This is just my observations so feel free to comment pro or con on your experience there over the last few years.
    Here's a few pic's from Friday. Click on each pic to enlarge Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

More pic's

Attached Files:

3. old me

old me
    from Iowa

Many thanks for the pics!!
    I had planned to attend, but health issues will prevent it this year.
    Thanks again-hope weather holds out for everyone, and has a safe and fun weekend!

Jim

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice photos, thanks for giving the rest of us a look. I'll have to agree that this deal about letting in the later model cars makes it so at times you don't know if you are in the show or the North spectator parking lot. The local "big" club has started letting up to 72 into their show and it has pretty well turned one of the best shows in the PNW into a parking lot full what amount to work cars.

I know one thing after looking at you photos. I think my flathead needs a 36 Ford for a new home.

5. What's the cut off year at Goodguys now? 1981 cut off at NSRA this year is a bunch of crap. Turned in my membership.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Cool Gary. I don't blame you. Who likes crowds anyway? My Lincoln friends told me today they have never seen it so crowded as it is today at that show.

7. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Hey, the wife and I did the same thing this year!

You forgot to mention that it was hotter than heck on Fri!:( I agree with you on the cutoff year, but there were more cars there on Fri than I've ever seen before. Probably gunna be a mad house today!:eek:

All in all we had a good time!:rolleyes:
    Later,
    Ken

8. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Thanks Gary.

Don't like Saturdays there much anymore either....was going to go, but I'm out in the shop working on the rod. Maybe next time.....

9. outcast13

outcast13

$55 to drive through the gate ?? DAMN !! 1 day ?? How much is it to walk through it ?? How much if you drive through all weekend ??

10. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I agree the NSRA is otta control, turned in my membership last year. I believe for Des Moines its 72. For example I saw a 70's mustang on a 4 wheel drive chassis. You know, real hot-rod stuff

$55 is for the whole weekend. I don't know if you can buy a 1 day pass for a car. I'm not sure but I think it's $15 to walk in

11. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Thanks for posting the pictures.

12. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$18 to walk in. My wife said to me on the way home, "It was alright, but I would rather go to a traditional show where they have fun like the Pile Up and TorqueFest." This is coming from a non car person but she thought the Tupperware vendor(although ironic) was in the wrong place being at a car show.

13. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

^^^^ My thoughts exactly. If there had been a traditional show twice my driving distance, I wouldn't have gone there today.

14. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Oh also, if any Goodguy Rep's for the Heartland Nationals might see this. You may not have noticed but, the Des Moines fairgrounds has multiple entry/exit gates.
    Just tryin to help out. Gary

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I used to love Back to the 50's too. After walking for hours this year, I started to realize there were very few traditional builds there out of 11,000 cars...

16. haychrishay

haychrishay

They were letting cars in the Dean Ave Gate this year....finally.

17. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

18. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Well there's a step in the right direction.
    Guess there is hope, I mean even a broken clock is right twice a day, but these guys ???

19. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

Thanks for pictures. Had a great time this weekend. I am glad Goodguys keep coming back to Des Moines. I don't mind the late models. Gives me a chance to hang out with my friends that don't have a pre-64.

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You guys and your NSRA panic...!!! I've been to Pueblo NSRA twice now (last year and this year)...and STILL haven't seen any cars later than '75 (and there was ONLY one there)...let alone any Pintos...yelled before you got bit didn't ya...!!!

Haven't been to Des Moines since 2007...it was crowded then...I remember in about 1999 when I drove the rad '57 there and parked in the middle of the main street on Friday...had a bunch of people follow suit...but Saturday they had all kinds of signs and cones up saying no no...

The Lonestar Nats will get that way too...and I'd bet even Billetproof and Torque Fest...and a few others I can think of...either get used to it or stay home.

R-

21. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Gary, good seeing you friday. It was HOT we left early and went to Target and finally bought a pop up canopy for sat. Sat was a crowded mess, we got blocked in and could not get the car out to cruise and wanted to leave around 4 pm and had to hunt down 2 car owners to move so we could get out, but wasn't a biggies as they were HAMBer's as well with the Oliver group. Got home just after noon today after a stop at Greazy's home stead for a short visit. Later, Rusty.

22. Dads-53

Dads-53

Gary, sorry I missed ya, about had a melt down Friday . Visited with Bob K some Sat and had about 10 for meet and greet. but didn't see you no where.
    Don

23. I was there Saturday, It was crowded but I had no trouble getting around. The temperature on Saturday was fantastic. I'll be back.
    Later,
    Dick
    By the way I got to see my hero Malcolm.

24. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Glad you had a good time and was looking foward to seeing the old Malcolm truck. Sorry I missed ya

Good to see you and have a chance to talk for a bit. We needed to keep moving, it was so hot I sweat like a pig if I'm just standing in the sun. Was Greezy all snuggled up in his new Mustang:)

We moved around quite a bit on Friday and then headed home Sat morning. Seems like I saw Bob K everywhere on Friday. Sorry we missed ya

25. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

26. LITTLE CAR

LITTLE CAR

Nice pics everyone!!

27. old me

old me
    from Iowa

Nice pix!!
    Many thanks zimm!!

28. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Gary, yes Greezy was Mustang luvin' when we arived. He actually had is washed and all spiffed up and tidy I was so proud of him!

29. Big Dad

Big Dad

Hi Gary

Thanks for the pics, I used to travel home to go to every year but kinda quit the last 3-4 years .

Locally its my favorite venue for a hot-rod show but, it is too crowded to even get into to park anywhere any longer ..

I do think that letting up on the years in some cases gets people there and they may see a car they like and encourage them to build something more appropiate than what they currently have .

As far as the cost to enter , I don't know , its not cheap but,what is today ?

I wish they would offer day passes but, trying to police that would cause more problems I'm sure .

Maybe they could offer Sunday as a day where late models can attend ?
    Suppose that is being unfair , the hobby is under attack on all fronts I just like to see people that still support it

Take care

Daryl

30. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Wait till I see him again

Good points Daryl, thanks for your comments