Register now to get rid of these ads!

OK... so which way do I go with this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greybeard360, Jul 3, 2011.

1. greybeard360

greybeard360

I just became the proud owner of a 54 For 2dr sedan. I am now trying to decide what to do with it ! It has some rust issues (which I can fix) and it came with new rocker panels, lower quarters, 2 rust free doors and 2 new fiberglass fenders. The interior is blue and white tuck and roll and in perfect condition!!

Build a sled or a gasser???

I have a good 440 I can freshen up and several 727's.... I can make a MoFo out of it! Sadly, I didn't get the Cragars with it!.... and that truck cab is gone, but I do have the hydraulic lifter 325 and granny 4 speed that was in it!

[​IMG]

2. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

sled. theres a whole lot of gassers. and theyre cool and all, but making it a sleeping sled would be even cooler. just my 2 cents

3. badshifter

badshifter

First thing I'd do is re-size the picture.

4. x2 on re-sizing the pic lol, i like the idea of a mopar in the ford.. rb mopars are where its at (that's what i am using to hit the 600hp mark in my car) I've never been one for gassers, so low and fast is my suggestion.

5. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

For real. Made me dizzy.

Why not a nice mild custom? '55 Olds tail light lens, Tube grill, tinted glass, cruiser skirts, smooth bumpers, and a bad ass engine.
    You don't have to get radical to have a nice car.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You didn't want those wheels anyway...put on some steelies and wide whites...they'll go better with that interior...

Mopar is fine...it'll power that Ford just fine.

R-

7. greybeard360

greybeard360

Didn't realize my new phone took such great photos.... and BIG!!! Resized it!

I have thought real hard about a mild to wild custom. The RB.... because I have it! Maybe something different with the tail lights though... EVERYBODY uses the Olds lenses!

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Customs and gassers are cool and I love 'em, but they are not the only options.

I like the style I used to see on the street in the early '60s...very typical for the time. A car such as yours, lifted just an inch or two, both front and back. No rake either way, with a set of tall blackwall bias-plys. Maybe bare black wheels, chrome lug-nuts and no cap. Or maybe chrome reversed. Maybe simple caps. Depending on the car, some of 'em didn't really need to be lifted...just right at stock height.

It was a simple, clean, tuff-lookin' style that most working guys could afford to do. It was easy on the eyes, yet had an "all business" feel to it. The important part, was a cammed-up V8 under the hood, and even with the subtle look...and navy blue, black, seafoam green, whatever...you knew (heard and felt) it was badass. I remember seeing many Fords of the same era as yours, with this vibe.

RUMP! RUMP! RUMP! RUMP! RUMP! RUMP! RUMP!...WAPPA! WAPPA!...RUMP! RUMP! RUMP!...

Good luck.

9. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

right there. thats what you do with it, now get to it.:D

10. F&J

F&J

mild customs are cool on those cars

11. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

rickybop, we obviously are from different neighborhoods. back to question at hand, yeah i am an old fart and not crazy about the street "gasser"! mofo works! don't do a FUBAR!

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uhhhh...er...um..............WHAT? Talk about "fubar"...lol.

13. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

If you don't know what to do with it...Best thing to do is sell it!....It is no fun building what everyone else wants......You should build what you want....Just my 2 cents

14. i think if you start with a recited formula that is a problem.
    i have a crush on gassers right now, so i vote gasser.
    but it's your car, and if you are realy not that sure don't even start.

15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

a vote for sled , hope you post a few build pictures no matter which way you decide

16. greybeard360

greybeard360

That's the problem I am having, they are both cool!!!

A loud obnoxious rumty rump cammed 440 tooling around would be a lot of fun. Not a good road trip type of car though.

If I can come up with just the right parts off of some other cars to do a custom with.... I will put a/c on it and have something I CAN road trip in in style!

I have all the time in the world to decide, too many customers cars to finish right now but I can keep the thinking cap on and come up with some ideas. May just need to hit the swap meets and see what cool items I can find to adapt to it!!

17. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Gasser. Build the MOFO fo sho!

18. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

19. n847

n847

20. Manche

Manche

track friendly sled!

21. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I vote for a 60's street machine kinda vibe. Your rb motor with a nice lumpy cam, a rake to the front, firestone wide oval tires, and black steelies or torque thrusts. Dark paint and black interior.

22. greybeard360

greybeard360

The interior has great covers, door panels and headliner.... blue and white tuck and roll. I will make the outside work with what I have.

I am leaning real hard towards the gasser approach. After reading the Bad Banana thread I got enthused!

But then I read the 59 Chevy wagon thread.... I like his approach. A lot of little changes but nothing drastic. That thing it a work of art!!! My hat is off to him!

I may just wait until the next swap meet and go look around and see what I turn up. In the mean time I can start the metal work and get all of the nasty rust areas fixed and go from there!

23. Sleeper sled/mild kustom. 53's are pretty bitchin' 2 tone paint.