Register now to get rid of these ads!

29' model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mndodge, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mndodge

mndodge

Hey guys, just posting a few pictures of find for the summer.
    This car has been sitting in a barn since 1968 and picked it up this past weekend and got it running......and actually running good, with new coil, wire and plugs and lots of cleaning.
    So now that I have it in running order I took it around the block a few times and seems to not be cooling the best.
    Radiator does not leak, just figure she has some plugging going on......so my question is, I know that the 30/31 have a wider cowl, but wondering of the radiator from those will fit in a 29, thanks for any advice!!!

..........will have to work on adding pictures

2. fit...kind of
    28/29 is shorter
    28/29 water neck is different
    holds water so you can drive yes
    but i would just find an good 28/29
    tk

3. Post up some pictures of the car.....I can't help you with the cooling question, as I just picked up my 1st Model A....but would love to see your car.

4. mndodge

mndodge

Thanks for info on radiator, I had my doubts in the beginning that it would just drop on.

As for pictures, not sure how to add them on here

5. mndodge

mndodge

6. you can use the "Manage attachments" tab down below or upload your pictures to something like photobucket. Then you can just click and copy them onto the post.

7. mndodge

mndodge

Not the best photos, will try and get a few more

8. trevor

trevor

i saw that in the swap meet at the 50's , that is a very nice car to start a project with. what's your plans?

9. mndodge

mndodge

The overall shape of the car is one of the main reasons I picked it up, and the possibility that it could run and wasn't froze up, as of so far I have put about 7 miles on it just getting the bugs out and it sounds really good and id the odometer is right, it has 59000 on it......actually after getting it running, my mind is going in a thousand directions of whats next.
    So far, I am planning on leaving in the banger and possibly looking for a few parts to dress it up and going with a early style hot rod, have seen a few out there and for right now really thinking that is the direction i am heading. i figure for now just have some fun with it and not just dive in to it and then a couple months from now it winds up being "one of those projects in the corner".
    For now I am kind of looking around for a set of four 35 wheels and getting it down into some 16" tires, but like I said before have a hundred ideas on what is next, but after getting the mechanical stuff done and running, I believe this weekend the sanding will begin and shoot some primer on it and move ahead from there.

There are a ton of great cars out there and just not in a rush at the moment to box the frame and toss a V-8 in, but I am sure down the road that is where the direction I will head, I have a nice flathead with edelbrock finned heads and matched intake and think that will look good, but have also thought about a nailhead or a olds rocket or something along those lines.....the other night I was surfing around on here and ran accross a 394 olds and I believe it was called a "sky rocket" and had something like 335 horse and around 450 for tourque and thinking that would surely be a great option.
    As for the Body itself......I am planning to leave it alone and not chop it....as much as I think they look so good that way, this body does not have a dent or anything in the corners or anywhere, so I plan to leave as is and move along from there.
    As for the fenders and so on......I think they may go up in the rafters in garage and be in storage, cause I like the hiboy look and will just try them on and try them off and see, but I saw a post on another thread that someone said, real hotrods have fenders......or something like that, but the fenderless look just has something cool about it and I really like the nostalgia look.

10. Looks like a ton of fun waiting to happen. I agree, don't blow it apart til you've had some fun. There are banger speed parts still available and if you want to go more power later the banger will have some value. Just my $.02. Congrats on the find.

Doug.

11. Sweet find! About a year ago I started off like you did with a good car that I did not want to tear into.
    You summed it up well about ending up with a project in the corner of the garage.
    Lots of good input here for sure. Have fun!

12. mndodge

mndodge

I have a friend that picked up a running project and he had all these big plans and tore into it and there it sat.......sadly, I am sure there are one or two more like that floating around over the years.
    Up where I live, there are a few cars and there are some nice ones, but most have V-8 power and there is nothing wrong with it, just thought I would go the banger route until time to move on and I have looked at a few of the rides on here that are still bangers with speed parts and they do catch the eye.....or mine at least, just something from days gone by!

13. I hear ya. Gonna stick with the banger myself. Still brings a big grin.
    Upgraded the brakes, massage the banger and have plenty of good times.

14. mndodge

mndodge

A question......or maybe better yet a poll,

I have ran across two engines that i have really been thinking on for the future of the car when it comes the day to V-8 it.

Choice #1 is a flathead that has the offy finned heads and also offy 2 x 2 intake and has carbs on it, along with a four speed and bell housing out of a 40 or 41 ford truck, but has been sitting for a number of years but still turns over.

Choice #2 is a olds 394 sky rocket with the auto tranny I came upon and it also turns over and is suppose to be the ultra high compression model, but he said it was a 1966 and I didn't think they made them after 64 or 65?

So my poll question to the fellow hambers out there is......which route would you go with these motor choices?

I already know that they will both have to be opened up and freshened up, and also believe the flathead with the way it was built is somewhere probably around 150 - 160 horsepower and from what I have read on the sky rockets, they were around 335 horse..........not looking for a 10 second car by anymeans, just a cool nostalgia hotrod to run around town and have fun with when it comes time.

Thanks for any input!!!

15. How much are you going to want to change?....with either engine, you'll be changing crossmembers out, adding much better brakes, engine mounts ect. With the lower powered flathead, you have the option of leaving the stock model A rear in place and just driving the rig nicely.....with the olds, you would probably look into swaping out the rear axle...or being VERY gentle on it.

16. building an Av8 with the flathead is fairly easy....there are a few books out there that give you step by step instuctions and explain every part and why it was needed/selected.

17. mndodge

mndodge

My thoughts are, as I drive it the way it is and then look for a clean boxed frame and start that on the side because there are a few dollars involved with going the 8 route, I just wonder what has more appeal to the eye when people see it.......I know those old flatties with the speed parts on them have got my attention a time or two, but then when you walk up to one that has a nailhead or a rocket in it and you see the umique syamped valve covers and so on......they also get your (my) attention!

18. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

59,000 on the odometer huh? I'd be skeptical of that.

19. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

if you go flathead, you could run the car as a pre war/just after war car, with '35 wires no fenders, 4" chop, dago axle and a few leaves out of the back it would look right on the money.

an OLDs powered late fifties street rod with nice paint and a stack of carbs would also look awesome.

That being said, drive that lil banger around for a season. you will either fall in love or start wishing for power. if the latter is the case build yourself a chassis and the swap the body across to the new chassis.

either way it would be way rad

20. mndodge

mndodge

I have really played with the "pre war" idea and thinking for now that is the way i will follow and just have some fun with it and I have a set of 35 wires on the way.
    As far as the "chop".......The body is so nice on it, I really don't know if i can brung my self to chopping it, although they look cool as hell like that I just don't think I could do it right now. I have looked at some of the rides on here that have not been chopped and if a guy can get the right stance on the car i think leaving the roof alone wouldn't be a issue?

I do know that with the direction I want to head the fifties, late fifties is where I want to aim for along with some wide whites to bring it all together, but I really like to get the input from others and see what ideas I may be missing if any.

21. I'm a fan of those Tudor's. Any of the engine choices you mentioned sound good..Olds, Buick, or Flathead. As garth slater mentioned, drive it as is, and enjoy it for now..see if more power is needed to retain that smile on your face.

22. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

if you install a 30/31 radiator, in a 28/29, you will not be able to ever line up the hood.

23. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

My thoughts.

Keep the banger. Checkout the banger thread here, you may already be aware. To me the older the engine the more interest and appeal that it generates. I'd pickup the flathead though, just encase. :]

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603947

One thing will lead to the next. More engine = new brakes, rear end, possible major frame mods depending on engine.

Paint it black and drive it.

Nice car and have fun.

24. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Sweet find! I would drive it, have some fun, and enjoy it for what it is. While your doing that, plan your car (even though you'll change your mind a thousand times, you'll figure it out), start collecting your parts, and when all of it is there....tear her apart and build.

Im doing the same with my '29 Sport Coupe. Although, its rather hard to not start stripping stuff off and making a pre or post war hot rod.....good luck on the car.

One recommendation, get some literature on keeping that ol' girl running well...and have some backup points and condensers....