Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Bought a Poncho! 1949 Pontiac Streamliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koachwerks, Jul 3, 2011.

1. koachwerks

koachwerks

I have officially joined the unofficial fastback club that my dad started almost 40 years ago. Pops has a 1951 Chevy 2 door fastback and a 1949 Olds 2 door fastback. Growing up with these two cars in the garage made it hard not to fall in love with the styling. So I decided it was time to clear out the garage to make room for one of my own.

After a half year of searching I finally found a solid car that met my needs. I couldn't be happier... Can't wait to get it home and cruise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specs:

- 1949 Pontiac Streamliner
    - Straight 8 with Hydra Matic
    - 53k miles
    - Car is very clean and straight and has very minor surface rust in a few spots.
    - Interior is in great shape!

2. Hoodlum Rocky

Hoodlum Rocky

Looks like a real nice car. What are you planning to do with it? Here is my fastback project

Attached Files:

• 069.jpg
      069.jpg
      File size:
      499.6 KB
      Views:
    • 073.jpg
      073.jpg
      File size:
      492.1 KB
      Views:
  3. captmullette

captmullette

nice solid car, good luck and have fun.....

4. Orn

Orn

Nice car.

5. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Looks like a great original car...Congrats!

6. olpaul

olpaul

I love the bullet radio grill and the chrome strip molding on those ponchos

7. man that looks SUPER clean! I always liked the trim on the Pontiac (kind of deco).

8. Love pontiacs. Get that thing home and get started on it so I can enjoy your build.

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

10. havi

havi

Awesome! I was a day late and a dollar short from getting one from the Rufus Ranch, but that there's the hot ticket I've been looking for. Good for you, and it's nice to know they're still out there.

11. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Nice car Chris!

12. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

That thing is in great shape! Wow!

13. nice 49 my girlfriends 50 4 door streamliner was originally that same brown

14. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Very nice score! I like that brown, I hope you keep that color and just add some flair to it.

Good luck on your new prize,
    Jamie

15. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Hey Chris i like it very nice Pontiac
    you got one from South Dakota cool that's were my 53 Stude coupe came from

talked to your Dad about his 49 Olds fastback last year at the picnic
    speaking of the picnic wow August 13th not that far away

Looking forward to seeing the 49 Poncho & 49 Olds this year

16. billys54

billys54

17. Sweet ride man. Hope to see it around! Any plans for it, or just drive as is?

18. hasty

hasty

Congratulations! Looks very nice.

19. old me

old me
    from Iowa

Nice car!
    Looks like a real clean one to start your build without doing a lot of rust repair.
    Always loved the roof line of that era GM cars..
    Good luck with your build!

Jim

20. Those pictures look like they could have been taken right around the block from me. I'm with havi, that car is a great find, I'd hope th be fortunate enough to find one in that fine of condition, close to home. A coupe would be okay too... Or a similar Olds 88...
    Congrats and enjoy!

Kinda like the color too. I could see buffing it out and adding some simple, black scallops
    behind each wheel...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Typical midwestern small town garage/driveway...grass in place of concrete...never happen around here...we'd get a ticket for driving across our grass to get to the garage...!!!

Nice Pontiac...been stored for a long while...??? I see no typical Minnesota rust...

R-

22. outlaw256

outlaw256

man that car looks great!!! i love it.wish i could run up on one like that for sale. id jump on it in a heartbeat.great score. now enjoy.and keep us posted on any work. id love to see what your gonna do to it. ken

23. koachwerks

koachwerks

Thanks for all of the nice comments! Never would have guessed my brown (Mayan Gold) Pontiac would be so well received.

The car is from South Dakota. The original owner (Royal O. Stabbe)bought the car new in July 1949. He used it primarily for short trips into town. At some point he sold it to his brother Floyd. Floyd had used the car until 2001 when he sold it to his niece (she was buying it for her niece as a graduation gift). The new owner and her husband drove the car for a while, but it just wasn't their cup 'o tea and talked about selling it.

After six months of searching for my dream car I decided to place a want add on Craigslist. Within one week the owner of the Pontiac responded to my add. I spoke with the owner a few times about the car, he sent me about 60 photos showing all the necessary details, and then I got nervous. The car was way too clean and I thought for sure it was going to be out of my budget. To my surprise he was quite close, so I made arrangements to drive out to see the car, check it over, and take a test drive. The car was everything I wanted and more, so we agreed on a price and shook hands.

The car is so clean and original I hate to do too much to it. I really just want to get it road worthy and enjoy driving it. My dad has a set of Pontiac reverse lights that I'll install, but that would be about it for a while. Well, maybe I'll drop in a Porter! It needs fender skirts too. Anyone got a good lead on skirts?

Chris

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  24. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

Nice I love those fastbacks

25. Congrats on the addition! Can't wait to see it up close!

26. koachwerks

koachwerks

Thanks!

Join us on August 13 for the BBQ.

Chris

27. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

love the color.

28. IWB

IWB

Nice car ! Just about everyone would love to find one like that. In my opinion what you have in mind with it is the right way to go.

29. SUPER CAR!!!!...i have a '49 Mayan Gold Poly 2dr Streamliner as well..;) It still have original paint as well but a bit more weathered. Mine had a locked up motor and someone stole the front suspension 30 years ago, other than that, both stock. It is about to get turned into a full custom. Congrats on the find. I'm glad mine is as nice as yours, I would have a hard time chopping that one up.

OK, no I wouldn't.

30. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Wow, what a great looking survivor...
    Good for you.
    I like it.
    Cheers.............