Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just another Model A Roadster-Drop Axle Mechanical brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, May 18, 2011.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Guys,

I have been working on this barn find roadster for the last few months. I bought it in a barn in Kansas ( Great Bend area) back in January. The guy I bought it from said it ran, but I did not try to start it and took his word ( big mistake).

I got it home and put a battery on it and cranked it, but not go. I had fuel and spark so I was only missing the main ingredient COMPRESSION!! Finally it started but it ran very poorly and would barely move itself up the slight incline into my shop.

Well after a compression test of 25, 26, 7, 25 I decided a good used motor was in need. Luckly, a local guy here in Denver (Dave) had a good used 4 banger and I made the swap. Wow, what a difference in power between a engine with 70+ PSI of compression and 25 PSI.

So with a good running engine it was time to set out to build a neat pre-war street roadster ( fenders). I wanted to buildsomething that a young man with basically only early Ford parts were available to Hop up his roadster.

I know it is debatable that dropped axles were not readily available pre-war , but who is to say that Ed "Axle" Stewart did not experiment in '38 or '39 with his

-First I found a set of 16" Kellsey Hayes Wheel at Berts Model A
    -6.00 upfront and 7.50 on the rear is nice formual for rake.
    -Then Steve hooked me up with an original Deluxe roadster windshield
    -Dropped headlight bar
    -Bought a Model T rear spring to get a nice "3 drop in the rear
    -Used a set of '40 mechanical shocks on the rear, that once I welded the ball ends off the frozen originals and with the dog bones attached they fit perfectly in the original mounting holes like Henery intended ( but obviously he didn't)

Next, I turned my attention to the front suspension. After researching ELROD's post on how he did a dropped axle with mechanical brakes I though I would give it a try and amazing it was very simple.
    -"4 streched dropped Okie Joe model A axle so my axle width was close to stock.
    -Reverse eyed Mr. Roadster front spring with rear spring bushing cut to "1 3/4 so I could original spring shackles ( not P&J shackles in the late '30s)
    -'32 Spring perches with the same bushings as above.
    -'32 Spindles that I had rebushed and new Model A king pins.
    -I made a 1" spacer to raise the mechanical brake levers up to match the backing plates.
    -Used a ball socket on the steering arm and a stock length steering arm fits perfectly with no mods needed.

Well here is the finished product with a few pictures of the build.

I can't wait for the rain to stop to go for a drive!!

Enjoy!

Tex

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2011
    Weedburner 40 likes this.
  2. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

very nice....

3. RussTee

RussTee

good post you should put it on the banger meet it answers a lot of questions well done

4. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Awesome job!! I love ingenuity like using 32 perches to keep mechanical brakes. Thanks for taking the time to post and teach others.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

That car sits perfectly, nice job!

6. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks guys........ I was little concerned the restorer Nazis would get offended, but what the hell!

I am moving the post over to the Ford Barn.

7. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

very neat...........

i like the simple solutions...........

8. what they said....and nice build....

9. Justin B

Justin B

bitch'n roadster tex, you bringing it out for july?

10. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

About the brakes,
    A guy told me they work better with a band around the drum, when going down long hill they don't fade as much. Also another said there is some kind of bending jig to bend the shoes to conform to the drum radius. they say it makes a big difference in the braking ability of mechanical brakes.

Ago

11. Elrod

Elrod

Awesome job! Glad to see people making their rides look better and not thinking the mechanicals have to go. Good work!!!

12. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

That is the plan so far, but I am moving to Arizona some time in August-September so that may cause a problem.

I am planning on Bonneville for sure and this roadster is perfect car to cruise the salt.

You still planning on racing at the salt flats this year?

13. Justin B

Justin B

still planning on bonneville, paid entry and the car is pretty much ready. just bought a house in escondido, that sorta screwed up plans to run it at el mirage last weekend, but should make june/july elmo and might make a pass with it at barona. we might have to put your roadster to use as a push car.

where in arizona are you moving?

14. dudley32

dudley32

Yeah..thanks Elrod...I did mine a little different..32 axle..16" wheels..reverse eye..and got about 4" overall...[​IMG]

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

so..you wont be needing the coupe now right?..you can just drop it off at my place, I'll take good care of it:D

Nice find , real nice find

16. Elrod

Elrod

lordy Dudly. Look at that sweet little roadster!

17. dudley32

dudley32

yeah..thanks again for all the info...wheels are black now..may need to post a few new pics...and Tex..you are lookin' good...

18. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

North Scottsdale/Cave Creek area......I need some room to build a shop and keep all my junk.

I would love to use the roadster as a push car for the race car at bonneville, what a picture that would be!!

Congrats on buying a house, Migel told me you did you stepped up.

So, you and Russ neighbors?

19. Damn Tex, that's just about perfect. Well done sir!

20. Justin B

Justin B

it's about 3 miles north of russ by jesmond dene park, miguel already asked if he could store stuff there.....
    you going to be neighbors with buck? i know he's somewhere north of pheonix

if you make bonneville we'll use you're roadster, makes a much better push car than les' 09 chevy truck. i've been trying to get a few of the guys to go out there. huggy said maybe next year, rob might be able to go this year, russ is a maybe.

21. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I will be in Bonneville with the roadster unless I am in the middle of a move to Arizona.

Buck is in Prescott which is about 90 minutes North of where I will be.

22. Jeez, Doug, you move more than **I** do... !!!
    Nice Road Duster, love the build, love the stance, love the banger, I guess I just love the whole damn car.
    Good to see Russ' name on here, I wish he would get less "digitally challenged" and get a computer and join in on the fun..

BTW, I'll never forget you and Russ dropping everything, and installing a transaxle in my O/T car, while I took the photos... that was above and beyond, my friend... hope you and "Mrs. Tex" (yes, I know her name, starts with a "R" but don't want to post it on an internet forum) are doing well.

23. cruzr

cruzr

very nice ..........sits right

24. Elrod

Elrod

Hey Tex. I was looking at your pictures again. Just a comment on that riser you made on the spring perch to brake actuator.

Make sure that it can't rotate inward toward the engine and pull your brake actuating arm out of the ball cup on your kingpin. I gusseted mine to prevent the brakes from coming apart and loosing my front brakes.

25. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks Elrod, I thought about that and I made it out of 1/4 inch flat stock, so it is pretty beefy.

The other issue is if it gets loose then it will pull the spring actuating arm out of the backing plate. I made sure they are very tight and I will check them periodically.

26. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Dave,

We are doing good and I was just thinking about you the other day.

This is going to be my last move for sometime, it is way too much work.

Take care old friend!

27. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Can someone more computer savy than me put a link to this thread on the Banger meet?

I am not sure how to do it.

Thanks,
    Tex

28. Ricks57

Ricks57
    from San Diego

Wow,
    That body is just in amazing shape. I bet you shit when you saw that. Very nicely done, a real classic. You got the look and stance just right.
    You don't want to move to Phoenix, come back to San Diego. We have room for you.
    Rick

29. foresthunter

foresthunter

Really nicely done - love it that you kept the mechanical brakes. I'm wanting to do the same for 30 speedster. Are the 32 perches and spindles needed - can't use my 30s?

30. 36Brua

36Brua

what he asked ^ why use the '32 parts? thanks