Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Depth of Speed.... Pinstriping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaddilac, Jul 1, 2011.

1. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice, they used one of may favorite bands for the music too.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Great video
    Almost started forwarding this to you but took a moment and you had seen it.

3. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

great video, thanks for posting it!

4. True dedication to a passion

5. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

Great video, chaddilac......definitely been itchin to try pinstriping myself just to see if I have a "knack" for it.

6. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

This was bad ass! Thanks for posting!

7. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Thanks for the tip on the site. I viewed the other vids on Depth of Speed very cool.
    Thanks again.

8. the pinstriper

the pinstriper
    from duxford UK

didnt want that to end, great watch

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Better to start late, than never to start!!! :D

10. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

Great Post! I want to get back into striping and this was some needed inspiration.

11. chigger

chigger

The hard part for me is just "seeing it" before I start and as I go....

12. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I'm glad this got brought back to the top, I missed it the first time around.

13. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I've lost that too, and have developed a hand shake now too. I've always done my own striping, and wanted to do some stuff to my shoebox. I'm hopeing some changes in my meds might help. Great video has me fired up - thanks.

14. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I'd seen this the first time around and still I like it.

15. ADV1

ADV1
    from Gretna, NE

Wow... Thank you for posting this! I LOVE pinstriping! I try and do some type of art at least everyday. It calms me...

16. Awesome video on an equally awesome artist! I've been looking at his stuff on pinheadlounge.com....the guy is definitely talented!

I agree, Brandon! The few I've done, I've enjoyed the experience as much or more than the customer!

Wish that evil four-letter word didn't get in the way of my 'striping....W-O-R-K!

17. very cool... thanks for sharing!

18. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

great vid. i have the upmost respect for anyone that can pull lines, it ain't easy and takes years of practice to perfect it. my hats off to all you guys and gals that add that finishing touch to our cars.

19. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

God dam pinstriping ruined my life! Sure, I could have gotton a job with the city, nice benefits package, health insurance, retirement, I could have had it all, but I wanted to be a flippin' pinstriper and pull the perfect line. 30 years later, I come to realize there is no such thing as a perfect line, only the struggle toward unachievable perfection. God dam pinstriping ruined my life, but who's complaining?????

I really wouldent change it if I could. I have to say, that Andy in the video pulls a hell of a nice line, thanks for sharing.

I do have to disagree with people who say it's a dieing art. When I started in Chicago many moons ago there were maybe 5 good stripers in town (North side) now there are dozens. The real dieing art form is hand lettering, becouse if you think it takes a long time to master stripping, double that for hand lettering.

20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Thanks for posting that Chad.....cool video....
    True creativity......no computer needed.....:)

Yeah...no doubt....I've been trying but still can't letter for shit.....

21. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I also love Pinstriping and it is a wonderful form of artwork.

The video is very well done.

I still keep my sign box full of One Shot paint and brushes but don't really get to use them much any more.

I am also in the vinyl business so that I can make a living.

I never thought I would be designing on the computer since I did not even know how to turn one on years ago.

I hated to change but it was a choice of either starve to death or make the change.

Years ago you had guy's laying down lines at most major shows across the country but once the fees for all vendors starting getting out of sight that really made it very hard to make any money doing it. Many shows want $1,500 and up for a four day show and then you have to pray for no rain!!!

There are still a few guys who travel each year to major shows but it's not like it was years ago for sure.

The recession is part of the problem. I find more guys now are into panel painting and striping.

Jimbo

22. rat pup

rat pup
    from houston

great vid, thanks for posting

23. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

One of the reasons for the lack of people doing lettering is that there's no body teaching sign writing any longer . When I learned 40 years ago , the class I took was 4 hrs. a day 5 days a week ,, for two years . And that just got me fairly profieciant in the basics . I remember spending the first six weeks just learning how to do the basic strokes needed to do gothic ( block) letters . and that was using poster color , holding a brush using enamel is a whole different technique . I look at what some of the new guys are calling lettering and it's obvious that they've had no training at all ,, unfortunate to say .

24. Way cool, thanks for posting that

25. n847

n847

That video is awesome!

26. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

Awesome Video!

27. Pinstripe Bob

Pinstripe Bob

Great video, It's nice to see other people that have the same passion for striping.

28. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

It's unfortunate.......I'd love to attend such a class. I have a vinyl cutter/plotter, bought from a guy who was a sign painter but most of his customers wanted a cheaper "alternative" to the hand painted stuff....
    I don't use it much though.....makes ya feel "dirty"....:)

29. Phil:
    There is at least one art school I know of that has a course in sign painting and that is Butera School of Art in Boston MA.The other two(Mass College of Art and Vesper George)I believe have similar courses.
    A good friend of mine taught there for over 30 years and I know of the drills of which you speak.That was what separated the artists from the wannabes.
    I wound up teaching myself(a VERY long process) for a couple of reasons:First the people I was striping for wanted names painted on their cars and second:my uncle;who was a talented artist in his own right(but an asshole)told me I would never be a sign painter because I was LEFT HANDED(!) and would be constantly rubbing out my work. Took me a long time to learn how to letter without smudging the letters or using a mahl stick. Over the years I've picked up a lot of tips about lettering from others and it has only helped me get better. Don't know if I could ever teach someone to letter;teaching striping is a breeze compared to that.

30. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I love shit like this... wish I could do it... Can't wait to get striping on my car.