Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Terry1 ... Tripler's car did indeed predate the first Judkins Pinto, but it was essentially an open-comp special. When Judkins built his version of a Pinto, it met all NASCAR rules except the body, since the subcompacts were not approved. That was resolved when Stafford Speedway owner Jack Arute and others lobbied NASCAR to legalize the Pinto, Vega, Gremlin, etc., and that was indeed a revolution. Otherwise, the new bodies would have been limited to open-comp tracks like Tripler's home oval, Waterford, and Seekonk, where your photo was taken.

2. Cindy Humiston Weed

Cindy Humiston Weed

Got any Jerry Humiston (MA) articles or photos?

3. Cindy Humiston Weed

Cindy Humiston Weed

Got any Jerry Humiston (MA) articles or photos from Plainville or Wall Stadium (CT)?

4. Cindy Humiston Weed

Cindy Humiston Weed

Got any Jerry Humiston (MA) articles or photos from Plainville or Wall Stadium (CT)? Or Danbury?

5. Cindy Humiston Weed

Cindy Humiston Weed

Got any Jerry Humiston (MA) articles or photos from Plainville or Wall Stadium (CT)? Or Danbury? I have lots from Riverside Park (MA).

6. Cindy Humiston Weed

Cindy Humiston Weed

Got any Jerry Humiston (MA) articles or photos from Plainville or Wall Stadium (CT)? Or Danbury? I have lots from Riverside Park (MA).

7. Jared71161

Jared71161

Moselli, yes it was a great interview. Wish there was a thread that could be started somewhere where everyone could post and share their Richie stories.

Bones, Terry,.. Great history lesson! I never knew.

8. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

Thanks for the link Moselli. I wasn't much of a Richie fan, but that was a great interview. I miss those days so much.

9. Terry1

Terry1

Thanks for the clarification on the Pinto revolution Bones. Seekonk was my local track when I was younger. From 1970 thru the early 80's. When D.A. Vendetti went to the Pro Stocks, I lost interest there. I would do Thompson 3-5 times a year. I did make it to Westboro once before it's demise.

10. Brian C

Brian C

While I can really say for sure a quick search online still lists him in Bethpage at the age of 100 :eek:

Attached Files:

11. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I think you did a search Emil! :D

12. Brian C

Brian C

I couldn't search for Emil............The records only go back just so far. After all, they're STILL trying to decipher the Dead Sea Scrolls.............

13. Funny guys, funny guys, I only worked in Bethpage. :eek:

You've gotta love this thread.

14. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Don't feel too bad, Dr. J......We're missing them here in the northeast also. There have been NUMEROUS discussions on what happened, but at least in my opinion, too many years with "loose" engine rules, along with "trickle down technology", has priced the average modified out of the reach for the weekend racer.

That, along with rising operating costs for the track owner/promoter, and other interests/activities on the part of potential spectators, has most tracks barely hanging on, with the "mod squad" being on the brink of extinction.

15. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

Congrats to Geoff Bodine for making the Coke Zero 400!!!!!

16. Start and park u watch

17. hammer bowling

hammer bowling

Start and park I would guess.........

18. hammer bowling

hammer bowling

Bahahahahaaa posted at same time!!!!!

19. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

Baldwin said it wasn't, but I guess we'll see. I hope not.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  20. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Some more of Richie Evans....

This one is an interesting shot...Merv Treichler in the Evans pinto listed as his teammate, Richie in the Coupe...I know Ed Flemke ran as a teammate to Evans when Richie was banned from Nascar, but I didn't know Merv Treichler was a teammate (maybe just a one shot)....I have a picture of a young Mike Stefanik in one of Richie's cars at Thompson labeled 61x from the early 80's I'll have to find

my apologies if Dr. John posted this shot already...

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var editor = InlineEditorController.getInstance(); var hideLabel = true; editor.id = "mediaDesc"; editor.addEditor("scan0005-2jpg771361_desc",'http://s773.photobucket.com/albums/yy14/JBull_01/Evans/','action=mediasetdesc&media=http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy14/JBull_01/Evans/scan0005-2.jpg&date=1309590317&desc=',"Click to add","textarea", hideLabel); </SCRIPT>
    [​IMG]

Richie in the infield at Islip Speedway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Richie at Islip passing Cliff Tyler in the Butch Mecieka Camaro #18

[​IMG]

Richie leading Bugs, Bouchard and Cook

[​IMG]

21. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Richie and Ron Bouchard at Stafford

[​IMG]

Richie leading a host of cars at Lancaster: Maynard Troyer in the #6, Chuck Boos in the #9, Jim Rudolph in the #72, Jerry Mathis in the #80, Mark Newton in the #55

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Richie outrunning Jerry Cook #38 and Geoff Bodine #99....interesting that the picture notes the cars were equipped with the latest in technology...2 way radios

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. JBull

JBull
    from NY

a few more shots of Richie's "Late Model Sportsman" of Busch Grandnational from Stock Car Magazine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Terry1

Terry1

Geoff's night. You would think wheel bearings would last more than 6 laps.:rolleyes:

24. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

I guess technically a start and park. A 143 lap start and park. He really didn't get the hang of the tandem drafting (especially after dumping his teammate). NASCAR has completely lost me. That was 155 laps of the most boring racing I've seen.

25. Terry1

Terry1

Geez. I read the results wrong. He lasted longer than I thought. Yeah, 143 sounds a lot better.

26. Zoera

Zoera

Bad racing, as far as I'm concerned. Tag team wrestling inspired this sort of nonsense. Half empty seats too.

27. hseamanus

hseamanus

Whose coupe is in the picture at Waterbury with the Pinto?

Harold Seaman

28. tommyo

tommyo
    from Houston TX

You're all correct about the boring racing at Daytona and the half-empty stands - looks like I'm not the only one who has given up on NASCAR!

29. LINative

LINative

Billy is my uncle, still living in Bethpage. As the saying goes "you can't keep a great Mod builder down" see attached pics of Mod he is building to be street legal.

Attached Files:

30. ds112

ds112
    from florida

This is gary Iulgs 1976 killer mod that he won alot of races in until he got the big kick from george treaner #67. After that happened Ed Ortiz and some friends bought the car and Ed won his Last modified feature in this car. Does anyone have a picture of this car with the light blue paint job with the 0 on the car. The win was at Ransomville Speedway.
    Doug
    Photo is from Darrell wellty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.