Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where did you hide your radio ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mayor of G-Vegas, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Im contemplating back and forth about putting a stereo in my roadster . ( although I dont think i will ever hear it in an open car with turndowns and gear drive ) . I like how some of the guys are putting them in the under dash heaters . Just wondering if any of ya'll have any more good stereo hiding tricks?

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I don't have room for anything in my roadster, so I get no stereo - I don't miss it.

3. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we use an ipod and purchased clamshell speakers at the local gadget store. they work AWSOME and we can put them on the front seat with us; turn it up and sing along :). Theyre small and they fold up and unfold so theyre easily portable.

4. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Install a standard deck in the trunk or behind the seat with a remote/hand control..the Ipod set ups work great to as mentioned above. one wire, plug it in n play with all adjustment from ipod unit!

5. hot rods don't need radios..

6. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I have a nice 383 mopar radio in the front of my truck and my coupe is going to have a really nice flathead radio in it :)

Just kidding, Ive seen guys put them under the seat or behind the seat. Ive even seen them completely under the dash pionted face down, cant even see them but its easy to put a CD in and out but you have to use the brail method and memorization to do much else with it.

7. WrenchKitten

WrenchKitten

Where's that write up about running an iPod through an amp without having a radio at all. That's what I'm gonna do. I have the original AM radio in the dash so I can listen to the Grand Ol Opry on Saturday nights, and then the amp and stuff for the iPod is under the seat. I didn't like the idea of having a radio in the glove box out of reach, or having to leave the glove box open for the remote control.

Here it is:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548824&highlight=ipod

8. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i don't remember....

9. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

i have 3 cars and have done numerous others with just an ipod and hide all the others stuff. usually for me 4 mids and highs and 1 or 2 subs.

10. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

Do you mean you guys don't pull a "Foose" and fill up the entire rear with amps, woofers, and subs?

:D

11. Simplest setup I can think of, and one I use in my truck. I use either my smart phone, Zune or other's iPods.

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

12. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

[​IMG]

I'm gonna hide mine underneath that kleenex holder, after it gets some new chrome.

13. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Im really diggin this idea a lot . just do away with the cd player all together. Thanks for the info

14. Gruizer54

Gruizer54

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  15. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Right now I have a cd player in glove box and 5 1/4s in the door. When I do the interior I am gonna take the speakers out of the door and mount two 6x9's under the dash. I dont want any visible speakers. I may get rid of the cd player too and just run and amp and ipod.

Ryan did a good article on this a while ago

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=11082

16. moefuzz

moefuzz

and you don't use over blinged rims and the same burnt orange and _____ paint scheme on every car??

17. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

Custom Auto Sound makes a hide away radio that works real good. It has a remote that you can use and it has an adaptor for a Ipod.

18. billthx138

billthx138

????? A radio in a roadster......the musical notes from the exhaust should be all you'll ever need.

19. In my 28 roadster, with a gear drive, I put mine under my seat in the seat pan. I use it to play CDs and it is remote controlled. I can hear it OK. I used speakers that were enclosed in small cases mounted to the seat pan facing upwards. You really have to look to see them as the carpet is black and so are the cases.

20. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

smack dab in the middle of the dashboard where the radio recess is.

21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

under the seat and put 2 speeker undash,but still don't get my old highschool rockand roll:confused:

22. I hide mine in the shop locker. With a roadster you don't need nor can you hear one unless you are stopped. Exhaust tones are just fine.

23. Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  24. [​IMG]

bad photo but you can get the idea
    gut an 8-track, put the face on hinges, install CD player

[​IMG]

rest of the 'stuff' is under the seat.
    tweeters behind the sunvisors

25. I hid mine in your moms night stand :D .... cuz the sound of my mill purring is all the sound I need in my hot rod...

-Shiny

26. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

my amps are bolted to the heads,speakers are 2 21/2 turn downs just behind the rear axle

27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

40 Coupe-head unit for secret audio in dash under the orig radio faceplate that tilts up--when closed looks stock--also stock 40 antenna on roof used.

28. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Maybe the cars were too loud, maybe i drive too fast, maybe i am old and deaf. Last three ragtops i built all had MONSTER stereos in them, (as in, you could turn it up about a third of the way at a stop sign and EVERYONE within earshot would give you that, "ahole" look), but when i got up to speed, they all sucked so bad i gave up.

Get a bigger cam and leave music to your hard top cars. It ALWAYS sounds better... just my worthless opinion.

29. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I did the iPod and amp thing in the '58. Speakers are mounted behind the vent grilles in the kick panels and also in speaker boxes behind the seat. The control button is all that's visable...

[​IMG]