Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Chevrolet Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris dozier, May 5, 2011.

1. chris dozier

chris dozier

Thinking about selling this for $1500.

Just let me know if your intertesed

863-517-0679
    call or text anytime

So I just picked up this truck from someone local...Im not really sure where I want to go with it yet. I guess we will see how far my wallet will take me :D

On to the pictures
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. Go get-er man. Go to the salvage yard and find you a monte or malibu for a doner and put it together with a bunch of Buddys on a few Saturdays then drive it!!!!:D

3. gwarren007

gwarren007

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everyone has different Ideas on how a project should be finished. I think I would take stock of what I have and go from there.

The great thing about these AD trucks is that they pretty well let you build them the way you want to be it mild, wild or really radical.

Being that it is a five window cab I think I would leave the cab pretty well stock and not chop it and put the effort into getting the body straight and getting the chassis and suspension squared away and figuring out what engine, trans and rear end I wanted to run.

5. chris dozier

chris dozier

I got the front end sheet metal off this morning...
    [​IMG]
    It going to be more of a project then I thought..but im not scared yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  6. chris dozier

chris dozier

I just gotta order some metal now

7. chris dozier

chris dozier

Does anyone know how to get all those layers of paint off without harming the O.G. paint underneith? Or is softly sanding the only way?

8. D-man313

D-man313

Looks like a good starting point.

This is just my opion, but I would go all the way to bare metal just to know excatly what the sheet metal is like under the paint. I thought that my rear fenders were pretty straight when there was paint on them, but they ended up being pretty beat up.

9. CYCO_FISH

CYCO_FISH

May I suggest belly burners?

10. chris dozier

chris dozier

11. shoebox50

shoebox50

Cool truck look forward of see your progress on it.

12. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Like them 5 windows. Nice project.

13. Cool truck! Gotta dig the 5 windows. Don't know what you're gonna do with it, but I bought a 51 in about the same shape and just redid some sheet metal, breathed on it a little bit with some striping, signage, etc., and gave it to my 78 year old dad who had one when he was younger (see my avatar). Here's the link to about 50 pix: http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z200/chrisginco/51 Chevy/
    This way dad gets to drive it without me tearing it down to the frame...at least for quite a while...

14. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Nice truck. I have a 1950 and found an running s-10 for $800 with a v-6 and a 5 speed. Took my 50 and set it on there....back running on the road in 3 1/2 weeks
    it is even more awesome now.

Grommet

15. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Lots of info on these here....http://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=9530 my build thread on a 53 I restored.

Cheapest place for sheetmetal is Truck Shop in Ca. Don't try to cheap out and make panels...they are available so cheaply that it would be a waste of time. I have built 3 of these, I drive a 51 also. Feel free to ask if you need anything.

16. kulturekat

kulturekat
    from oklahoma

great truck so far. im building a 50 myself. cant wait to see what you do with this one.

17. chris dozier

chris dozier

ol'chevy thanks for the tip about the sheet metal and man your truck is gorgeous..
    and thanks everyone for the good words!

I think Im going to leave the factory frame...Just maybe add a Mustang 2 front end or something...not sure. Ol'Chevy what front end did you have under your lowered truck? Or how was it lowered?

thanks for everyones help!

Got the front suspension off this morning..
    [​IMG]

18. With my wallet you would eb lcky to go across town with it.

Those are pretty cool old trucks. I may get one someday myself. I still remember one from when I was in highschool that I would like to clone.

19. Looks like a great project! Wish I could get my hands on a chevy 5 window.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chris, I have a cab that I am only going to use the back half of that I am pretty sure has both of those front corners and door posts in good shape if you decide that buying all new metal is too costly. It will only cost you what the shipping costs are.
    It's this cab that I am using the back half of on my truck and it is a 51 cab off a 1-1/2 ton.
    [​IMG]

Update 3:38pm I went back out and looked and they aren't in as good a shape as I thought. There is more rust there than I thought there was.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  21. chris dozier

chris dozier

its cool...thank you very much for the offer though.

Ive got to work this weekend so no more will be done untill monday

thanks everyone!

22. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Cool truck! Of course i have the same one so I'm biased. Interested in the build direction.

23. chris dozier

chris dozier

got the bed off tonight..will post pictures in the morning. Going to be stripping the frame of all unnecessary stuff soon.

24. chris dozier

chris dozier

[​IMG]

25. neat truck,...you must be a neatness freak;...you removed all those parts and not one speck of dirt, rust or crud on your driveway!
    good luck with your project.

26. chris dozier

chris dozier

haha..yea i try to keep the driveway as clean as i possibly can... thanks buddy!
    I should be getting more done on it this coming up weekend..

27. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Take that orange jack stand and throw it in the trash. If it has a mate, do the same with it too. I wouldn't trust those to hold up a coffee table.

28. chris dozier

chris dozier

lol..thanks for the heads up...

29. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Im building one right now..alot of fun! Dont let the corners scare you, As said above they are all available and cheap enough at that! Will be watching the direction your going with it.

30. chris dozier

chris dozier

Well I decided to put it on a s-10 frame well in my case a Hombre frame...I got a donor truck a couple week ago...going to start tearing it apart today!
    [​IMG]