Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SBF Model A Roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hisel76, May 26, 2011.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Lookin' good man, keep up the progress! Have you thought about lowering the grille shell at all?

2. hisel76

hisel76

my cowl isnt mounted yet and kind of leans down . i will most likely lower it some after the cowl is mounted. i took a level from the edge of the cowl (sitting aprox position ) to the top of the grill and it looks like the grille is maybe 3/4 inch taller . im not running a hood so it might look right after all is in place.

3. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Great looking build,sits nice too.
    I'm using a SBF(289) and 4-speed(T10) in my '29 RPU.Wish I'd known about the short water pump conversion when I started,then I might have had some firewall left!:D

4. brady1929

brady1929

5. hisel76

hisel76

your RPU build is great , you had to start with less and are doing a great job

6. Need progress pics.................

7. HottRoddin29

HottRoddin29

Im runnin a f/r shorty water pump on my 302, in my model a. I havent got the radiator mounted yet. gonna probably have to use an elect fan as well. Looking to use a cnc slave cylinder on my ford t5 (swapped the tailhousing to an s10 tailhousing), though not sure yet. check out my pics.......

8. HottRoddin29

HottRoddin29

I ran a small oil filter, to clear my vega steering box. I cut the stem down on the top of the steering box, so the filter would fit....

9. Bull

Bull

I used a WIX #51311 (which i was told is actually for an 86 Volvo) filter in my Model A with SBF power. I had little room to work with between the engine and steering box and this filter solved my problem.

10. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

11. HottRoddin29

HottRoddin29

Im runnin a f/r shorty water pump on my 302, in my model a. I havent got the radiator mounted yet. gonna probably have to use an elect fan as well. Looking to use a cnc slave cylinder on my ford t5 (swapped the tailhousing to an s10 tailhousing), though not sure yet. check out my pics.......

12. Bone Head

Bone Head
    from Kansas

Looking good, cool project.

13. jipp

jipp

you are making good progress on a nice project. it has a nice stance. . when i read your new pup ran off with the goods i laughed out loud.. to funny,.. only because iv been there..
    have to love pups for most part.. they do get in trouble tho. lOL
    chris.

14. MODELA30

MODELA30

I THOUGHT THAT FILTER WAS OFF A FIAT BUT IT MUST BE A VOLVO. THANKS FOR THAT NUMBER. Knuck From Indiana.

15. MODELA30

MODELA30

WOW COOL BUILD I TOO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS YOU HAVE AND SOME I GUESS WE SOLVED DIFFERENTLY AS FAR AS THE OIL FILTER PROBLEM I JUST RAISED THE MOTOR UP ABOUT 2 INCHES I WANTED TO SET IT UP A LITTLE HIGHER ANYWAY I JUST LIKE THE LOOK BETTER. I AM RUNNING A 400 FORD WITH TIM MEYER PISTONS AND A CRANE CAM, WANT TO MAKE MY OWN INTAKE TO SEE IF I CAN ADAPT 6 LARGE 97'S. BUT ONE PROBLEM THAT CANNOT BE SOLVED IS THEY DO NOT MAKE A SHORT PMP FOR A 400. I ALSO DOING A 4 SPEED TOPLOADER CLOSE RATIO OUT IF A FORD TORINO. SLOWLY BUT SURELY. Knuck From Indiana.

Attached Files:

16. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Great looking car....keep up the good work

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When I redid my 27 roadster a couple of years ago I bought the Ford Racing short water pump setup. I wish I had gone with the Snow White setup because I had a hard time rounding up all the pieces. Ford discontinued some of the parts to make the setup work, and I ended up with the wrong pulleys before I found Runne Rite now offers the correct ratio pulley setup. I fried two pumps before I got the right pulleys, and spent about a grand on all the parts to make it work.

But it is working well now, so I guess it was worth it.

Don

[​IMG]

18. RAY With

RAY With

Your moving right along with your project and it's been a while since I last visited. Glad to see all the progress and you should try to make it to Austin next year for the round up. Its not all that far of a drive and we get to see the hot rod up cose and personal.

19. hisel76

hisel76

i havent been here in awhile. uncle sam had me tied up again . i dropped my roadster off with earl shcieb aka fellow brother poorboy mike before i left . mike has hung my doors and is currently working on my cowl. once this is complete it should be down hill from here, at least i hope. thanks again mike

Attached Files:

20. hisel76

hisel76

i would love to make it to the round up . its on my list

21. hisel76

hisel76

i think i will try shimming the motor up also. 2 inches is about what i need. im running the same tran

22. hisel76

hisel76

update: got the doors and cowl mounted thanks to earl schieb . will be starting on the steering and floors this week. getting so close to driving i can taste it.

Attached Files:

23. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

tip: Make the radiator support rods follow the same lines/angle of the top of the body, they look better than angling up. If possible get a shorter radiator, an orginal 28/29 works although a little to wide for a 32 grille, but possible.

24. hisel76

hisel76

that is temp. i got them almost as high as i could get them. i didn't really notice how bad they were till i rolled it outside. the alum radiator is a 32 and i got it for super cheap. its what im going to run till i can get a shorter one so i can drop the shell a little.

25. Hisel76
    I run a Brassworks radiator for a Model A on Duece rails. It is special made for this aplication and it 2 in shorter than the normal Duece radiator. Pricey tho

26. hisel76

hisel76

when i get the funds that will be what i will use cause i would like to run a hood someday. im just trying to get it on the road so i can have a driving project. i hate not having something on the road.

27. Good on ya
    I cut the shell about 2 in a side to get it in the proper prospective. Used lots of masking tape to see how the profile was and as you can see from my avatar it all came together very well.

28. hisel76

hisel76

update: made a little extra cash with side work and was able to order a lot of stuff for the roadster. bought the rest of the steering components , clutch pedal, and shifter/linkage for the trans stuff. i will be taking next week off to complete the steering and trans stuff. getting close .

29. hisel76

hisel76

been awhile since i updated. got frustrated with this car and had put it up for sale a week or so ago. i came up with some money to finish it found the motivation.im down to the last stretch to being on the road.

installed the clutch pedal . the pedal set up was for an automatic but with some grinding i was able to get the clutch pedal on. i still need to heat it up and move it over some.

installed the hurst shifter. i was happy it cleared the bench seat and was lucky reverse was up to the left instead of back to the driver.

also got my steering set up and a drives haft was built today.

started on mounting the remote oil filter. made a bracket and mounted on the front of the motor. i have no room on the inside of the frame rail and didnt want to run 5 ft of oil line. but i think with a finned filter cover it will look ok.

Attached Files:

30. hisel76

hisel76

here is the oil filter mount

Attached Files: