Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tunnel Ram in a 40 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kevin.R, Jun 22, 2011.

1. kevin.R

kevin.R
    from Canada

Hi Guys my 40 Plymouth arrives next week(when it gets here i will put up some pic). I'm thinking about putting my BB 383 with a Offenhauser tunnel ram with 2 650 Demons in my 40 Plymouth.I was wondering if any of you guys have put a BB with a tunnel ram in one and will it fit under the hood or should I be thinking about getting a new motor for it.The only reason I'm asking is I forgot to measure before I bought. Some times I leap before i think :) didn't help that I fell in love with it the first time I seen it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

I dropped a BBC in a 49 one time and there was cutting.... much cutting. But it sure was fun when it was done.

3. cakes

cakes

We just got finished with putting a 331 hemi in my buddies 41, I guess what you're asking is if you have to cut the hood. I have no idea, it probably really depends on how low you can mount the engine and what tunnel ram, carbs, and filters you run.

4. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

When I was 16, I had a 1941 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe with a Nova front clip under it.

Anyway, I had an Edelbrock single quad tunnel ram on it and had PLENTY of room to clear the hood. Dunno if that gives you any frame of reference but it'll just depend on your ride and so many other factors as well.

5. Pnzrdvsn

Pnzrdvsn
    from Escondido

You should have plenty of room kinda depends on where you put the motor and how low in the chasis it is, I got about 2 feet til the top of the hood in my 39 but I set my motor back am not running stock suspension.

6. kevin.R

kevin.R
    from Canada

It has a mustang 2 front end under it so it sounds like there should be room

7. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

Hay all you mopar guys i have two 3X2 intakes one for 383 & one for 440. thanks jim

8. Good for you? :rolleyes:

9. Your a putz, i am sure they are for sale.

No it will not fit under the hood. my 48 with a 440 and tunnel ram sticks out about 2" and the firewall setback is 4", so plan on some chopping!

10. Thank you for clarifying sire, perhaps you could learn some grammar and learn to recognize sarcasm.

I believe there is a place on this site to post items for sale instead of hijacking a post.

Oh, and don't start name calling unless you are prepared to deal with what comes back to you.

Good day sir.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

swap that tunnel ram for a cross ram and you'll be the coolest kid on the block.

12. what he said! :D

13. powhatan42

powhatan42

Good Deal another '40, have you got some photos?

14. farmer12

farmer12

I think it will depend on the height of the tunnel ram and how low you will be able to postion the bb. With my 392 with 6 inch stacks, I'll have about 4 inches before it touches the hood. You will more than likely need to recess the firewall.

Attached Files:

15. Putz!

16. 1959apache

1959apache

and pop pop goes the popcorn

17. kevin.R

kevin.R
    from Canada

hey Thanks guys I will have the Car the first of next week and will put up some Pic and let you know how this is going to turn out :)

18. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Man, I absolutely agree with the cross-ram idea. Most mucho torque at stupid low rpms...and as said, "cool factor" is off the hook!!!

19. kevin.R

kevin.R
    from Canada

Here are 2 pic from the ad from the sale

Attached Files:

20. powhatan42

powhatan42

Nice I like the grill...what was done to the grill, it looks like the direction that i was heading? Stainless or Billet?

Those rear tire look tight, are you tubed?

21. kevin.R

kevin.R
    from Canada

Sorry for taking so long to get back but the car just showed up to day.Ok the grill is peal and stick chrome looks great tell you get right up close and it is tubed with a 4 link.will be back on in a bit with some pics

22. kevin.R

kevin.R
    from Canada

here so Pic will start a new tread when I start to pull the body off and rebuilding her

Attached Files:

23. Greezeball

Greezeball

With the tubs and 4 link I don't think a tunnel ram poppin' through the hood would be out of place. That thing looks bad ass already I think it would just add to the look.

24. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

I dont want to burst any bubbles ,we had a 41 in shop with a 383 in it and it was set low in engine compartment,useing the stock with the hinge in middle makes fo one tight engine compartment,Wont say it cant work,but my suggestion would be dual carbs or crossram.This will keep height down.I have 671 blower in 35 ply,had to use one piece hood and machine air cleaner bases and use 1-1/2 filter and it made it by 3/8" from top of hood.Don't get me wrong it looks great sticking through hood also.I choose to hide what I had.Great car ,best of luck with it.Rogue

25. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the pics Kevin. Did you discover any major flaws? I must agree with Rogue63: choose to hide what you have....It may just ruin the flow of the car. Just a thought. Keep us posted on the progress.

26. kevin.R

kevin.R
    from Canada

Thanks for all help guys. I think I will keep it a hider I just can't cut the hood.As for any Flaws We just pulled up the last of the floor and found out we need to finish boxing the frame the front and rear frame looks to be good but the mid frame looks a bit weak and will have to cut the front coils and lower the front but other then that nothing yet but I start to sand blast this weekend and that willl be the real tell

27. powhatan42

powhatan42

You could have fooled me, but a photo can do that. I was thinking of building a grill to look like that one, to replace the original stainless steel.
    Good luck with the build.:cool:

28. kevin.R

kevin.R
    from Canada

Well I think I'm going to leave the grill the way it is for now and build a grill to look that way too.I have started the tear down.The floors are out and starting to blast the in side door jams to see how much solid metal we have.Every thing looks good but the bottoms .I will start bracing the body tomorrow to get ready to lift it off hope fully later this week.then start the repairs to the frame and more blasting.The only thing I figure out is the 383 is out and i'm going with a 440 with a 6 pack but will see where this goes

29. George

George

"Frame looks weak in the middle" Is it a bit rusted, or you just think it looks weak from the factory? A buddy of mine runs a 354 in his 41 w/o boxing the frame.

30. kevin.R

kevin.R
    from Canada

There was 2Ft middle that was never box in so I will have to box it. I not sure I like the old cross frame and not to sure how strong it is it looks real rusty and thin. I will know better once I get it blasted.I will try to get some pic up of it tomorrow if all things go well.