Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fed With Two Hoops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 296moon, Jun 7, 2011.

1. 296moon

296moon
    from england

I have wanted to build a 58/64 style inline twin engined fed for ever so have jumped in and started to build this, should I keep the two hoops on this or just keep one?, the only early rail I know of that had two hoops was the moon/potvin style, were there any others?. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

I really like the look of that.

And that is coming from a guy that almost hates two hoop cars. What are you gonna do with the car ? Race it , cackle it, or just lauch it and go 100 feet? That would be my deciding factor.

3. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

I also want to say I like the look of the back of the car too. The way the tubes come together, the angle everything. Not SFI / NHRA legal or anything. But you know that already. Very cool project. What is your powerplant gonna be?

4. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Mickey THompson's Dragmaser and I believe the actual Dragmaster Team car also ran dual hoops. They all have the similar look to the Mooneyes Dragmaster car. I have seen other cars built with dual hoops, but the Dragmaster cars are the only 'factory' built cars I can recall with dual hoops.
    Just remember, going on your lid at 90mph still sucks if your helmet is draggin on the asphalt. Don't think speed is the only reason to add the hoops. You don't have to be going 200mph to die in something like this. Use common sense and good judgement.
    Build a second 'cackle' car if you really need something authentic.

5. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Thanks king, I Intend to keep my foot in it, I hope power will be ether two 455 olds or 440 mopars,although probly run it first with a single 440, (I have the engines but need more money!) got a clutchflite too which I think would work well in this. Daulquad55, thanks, and your right, trying to build something that looks like "then" but is safe now, Heres a pic of what is probly my 100ft one, its clutch only jag power [​IMG]

6. storm king

storm king

I should think your Jag powered car would be able to make full passes; how fast do you think it'll be?
    King Chassis? Could that car run in the 10's and be "legal"?

7. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Decided to keep a level head and done the two tubes, might not be inkeeping with the early type rail I want but I hope the style will be there at the end, It took quite a few braces and clamps to get the hoops how I wanted as its all tapered but I like it [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice projects! Safety is number one if you plan on racing it, my Lyndwood is a restoration and will keep the single hoop.

9. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Got the engines mocked up today [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Made the engine plates, it took a while as no plasma here so good old elbow grease and lots of blunt hole cutters later I had these [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Nice work! I like the motor plates! Good job.

12. F-85

F-85
    from Paw Paw,il

Its looking really good. I really like that your going Olds with it. What kind of intake setups are you gonna run?

A couple of these Algon setups would work nice!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  13. 296moon

296moon
    from england

F-85 WOW......... never seen one before, how rare is that? do you have two to send me? I only have torkers but those would be the nuts!

14. F-85

F-85
    from Paw Paw,il

Yeah ive only seen 3 and that was one of them. It just sold on one of the Olds forums. $1000! And was sold quick!!! That thing is still gonna be bad ass with Torkers!

15. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Waiting on some coupler parts so started on the comp coupe type body I want to use, lots more chopping yet, [​IMG]

16. 70OldsCoupe

70OldsCoupe

Neat project. Wandered over here from Toymaker's twin-engine thread. I especially applaud the use of Olds power. One question, though: how do you plan to seal the front of the oil pans with the motor plates in the way? As I recall, the factory timing cover is a flat plate except for the pan seal bit, and it sticks out toward the block, so I'm guessing that you intend to sandwich it between the motor plate and block. Unless my memory is completely whacked, and I'm misremembering the last time I had the front of my Cutlass' engine apart...

17. 70OldsCoupe

70OldsCoupe

Also, I just realized that your doing this American-style hot-rodding nonsense in England! That's gotta make everything at least twice as difficult. I mean, where the heck do you even find second-gen Olds motors in England?

18. 296moon

296moon
    from england

coupe, you guessed right, and yes! Its taken a few years to collect the parts for this, just had a real good weekend at dragstalgia here in the UK so had to do a bit more mocking up on this, olds rear is in place as is the manual t400 box, its pushed the engs a bit further forward than I would have liked but once the body is in place I think it will still have the look I see in my head, after resting a few bits in place I just had to sit in and enjoy the view, [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

"Vroom Vroom!!"

20. 296moon

296moon
    from england

In english its "broom broom" and yes I did before you ask:eek:

21. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I'm just catching up on this 'Moon, The Coupe body is is going to be GREAT!

22. 70OldsCoupe

70OldsCoupe

It's just something you have to do - helps keep the dream alive. :D

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Just saw this, that is gonna sound great! Your a good fabber. Nice job! Lippy

24. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Thanks Lippy, Got a few bits done but still playing with the (not really needed but want to have) comp coupe type body for this, I have to keep walking away then come back to see if its right, its getting close but not there yet [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Now that shows off the body size with the dog there! Lippy:cool:

26. 296moon

296moon
    from england

took a bit more out of the crown so happy with the body now as Ive got the back bit done as well so its going to stay like this, going to start the flip body frame tomorrow so it can be glassed in along with all the joins, thought you might like to see the rear coupler, front one will come later [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

27. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Thanks for the updates. I love this build.

28. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Thanks King, I`am real glad others like it!, got the subframe nearly done to support the body, its 1" 16g box so doesent weigh much, need to make some glass wheel tubs once I`ve tried the body on [​IMG] [​IMG]

29. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER