Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM chassis 1936 Buick Mustang II crossmember ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Jun 28, 2011.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I am wondering if the GM line of chassis (1936 Buick Century)during this year are the same throughout the different GM cars or are they completely different animals?.

2. General Motors cars have different chassis for every make up through 1964, although starting in 1961 some makes shared. Even the 1959-1960 cars each one has a different frame - Chevy, Pontiac and Cadillac used X-frames of various wheelbases, Olds had the X-frame with perimeter rails, and Buick had a conventional frame (and was the last to run a torque tube). Heck, most of them even have different front suspension and rear axles (Pontiac and Olds share in some instances).

You may be able to interchange another 1935-1938 GM frame of the correct wheelbase, but even that is a toss-up since they ranged from around 112" on Chevrolet through 154" on the Cadillac Series 90.

3. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks Rustynewyorker, I have the chassis but I need to find out where I can get a Mustang II crossmember for it. I changed the title so maybe I can get the help I need.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it a plain frame rail frame that had either a bolt on suspension or an I beam with leaf springs or is it a frame that has the provisions for coil springs built in?
    It it has plain frame rails like an early pickup has you could at least use a universal crossmember kit if no one makes one specifically for the application If it is setup for coil springs Fatman and a couple of others make a front stub using the MII style suspension pieces. Fatman does show that they have one so others probably do too.

I cheated and went hunting for photos of a 36 Buick frame. This is a thread about a Series 40 sedan that a guy is working on http://forums.aaca.org/f163/our-1936-buick-special-40-series-231130.html He has a ton of cutsie photos of his kid "working" on the car but there are also a lot of good photos that show the frame and the rest of the car.

It looks like the front crossmember and suspension are welded on as part of the frame so that is going to make it a bit of a challenge to swap to a MII style crossmember.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

5. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Mr48chev, that is the frame and actually the exact car.

6. lvlynyrd

lvlynyrd
    from Las Vegas

I will be posting pics and a build thread for my '36 Buick Century soon. We lopped off the frame completely just ahead of the firewall, put in new frame rails, and hung a Helix (will never use them again, what a disaster, see related threads on here) crossmember on it. Actually, still have the front clip, and the entire rear end, suspension and all, if anyone needs one.

7. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Talked with Fatman today and well it seems I may be going that route for this chassis.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  8. Thats what I did with my 37 Olds and it was the way to go for sure. Almost 20 years later and the suspension is still serving me well. You won't regret it.