Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Lost Speed Shop....in the latest Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagehotrods, Nov 17, 2008.

1. I just got my latest issue of HOT ROD (January 2009) and Pat Ganahl did a great article on the oldest speed shop in America still being run by the original owner. Glen Volz has run the Salem Speed Shop (Salem, Oregon) since 1950 and it is unbelievable. Get a copy of this issue if you don't have a subscription. It's articles like this that keep me renewing my subscription year after year. Good job Rob!

Have any HAMBERS from the Salem area been by there and been keeping this a secret from the rest of us? It will be a "must see" stop the next time I make the LA Roadster Show drive out and back!

PS: I did a couple of searches and nothing came up so forgive me if this is "old news".

2. Plumber 1

Plumber 1

3. Racrdad

Racrdad

That was a good article, sounds like a neat old place stuck in time. What a way to live!

4. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

wow that`s cool ! I will try to send him some business

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That WAS a great article! The place seems to be 'lost in time'...

Malcolm

6. The article brought back many memories, Glen did the machine work and balancing on my 60 Impala 350hp 348 I raced in 61/62 around the Oregon/Northern CA area, won many races and held a record or 2 with it also. He was well known and very sought after, locals loved him. Also did some of the work on my 409/409 in 62. Got the louvered hood for the 60 from his shop then too. Always raced with the "Klan Racing Team" out of Eugene/Springfield area.

7. zellerware

zellerware
    from dad's shop

Thats awesome.. wow.. true history there.. Lord willing he will live another 81 years and teach the newcomers.. great stuff.. thanks for the post..

8. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

9. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

I have driven by it every day for the past 31 years on the way to/from work. Cool article....H

10. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Glen & I go back to 1956 when I found his shop & we have been friends ever since. A super guy.I think I own 10 percent of that place now?,LOL.I'm usually in there about every two weeks to see how he is doing health wise. He lost his wife last February, which was real sad to say the least.He is the only guy who I trust doing flathead dist. & mags.Oh, I have never got in the attic or basement in all these years, but keep trying.

11. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Hell of a nice guy ...id been looking for a P&G shifter for a while and Tom Wilford turned me on to him... NOS in the box Awesome :D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. thunderplex

thunderplex

...after reading the story, I called the shop (found the number online) and he had everything I wanted. Of course, the prices had not been lost in time but there isn't anyplace else to buy some of this stuff. If you call, remember that he has trouble hearing, but what a gentleman. It was great just talking to an authentic Speed Shop Encyclopedia.

13. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Too bad the website is down. I just learned of this place for the first time today and I've lived in Oregon my whole life. My dad has lived here is whole life and he was clueless too. I'm making a special trip down there this year to see the old dude and maybe buy some thing cool.

14. The_Monster

The_Monster

wow, what a great article! I need to make a trip down there and talk to this guy and take a picture of my 53 outside that perfectly weather beaten building with the 'Salem Speed' sign in the background. How coooool!!

15. rr64

rr64
    from Montana

Finally got my chance to stop by and spend part of a day with Glenn today. Great guy, great shop, terrific visit, and I came away with a few small pieces I haven't been able to find anywhere else.
    Dan

16. prpmmp

prpmmp

Any Updates on Salem Speed Shop? Pete

17. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

I drove through Salem and stumbled across this jewel. It was closed but I did stop and take a peek inside. Very cool right down to the homemade sign.

18. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hope Glen is still with us!! Pete

19. dougy b

dougy b

I was just at the Salem Speed Shop 2 months ago, Glen and his son Craig met me there and I bought a bunch of parts I have done business with Glen for decades the place is amazing, stuffed with all kinds of cool parts if I won the lottery I would buy the entire place all the parts inventory and the machinery way cool place! This place is stuffed with NOS Hurst shifters, edelbrock intakes, Mallory ignitions & parts, vertex mags, early 60s Cal custom parts, trans dapt equipment, pistons, piston rings, a entire wall of new in box headers, NOS casler slicks, ford vintage body parts and an unbelievable plethora of early 1950s and 60s hot rod parts, even the cash register is vintage! The place is a hot rodders dream & never again will we ever have a place like this ever, its time had been in the 1950s through the 1980s very cool history here. The Willamette valley has been home to lots and lots of very cool hot rods, race cars, Woodburn drag strip only 20 miles away, street cars, drag boats all kinds of high performance cars and boats most of them were built here at Salem Speed Shop!! Glen, although slowed down a bit, is completely in his element at the speed shop he rambles through the place grabbing parts from shelves here and there he is a plethora of knowledge about anything high performance automotive, his son Craig is a very bright guy became an engineer very successful, never caught the car bug, unfortunately! long live Salem Speed!!!

5window, AHotRod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Does anybody have an address....contact number?

21. dougy b

dougy b

340 mission st Salem Oregon 97302

Doublepumper likes this.
  22. dougy b

dougy b

IMG_1400.jpg

kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  23. dougy b

dougy b

write him a letter he will respond, you can call 503-364-4832 try on Tuesdays, he is also listed in the phone book and has TTY machine at home

kidcampbell71 and Doublepumper like this.
  24. cfmvw

cfmvw

Love old places like that. Reminds me of a locally owned hardware store that goes back five generations. Old wood floors, beautiful wood counter, lots of great features including great service, something that is all too scarce in any business these days.

25. After 12+ years since I posted this, it's so good to hear the Salem Speed Shop is still alive and doing well! It should be on the National Register of Historic Places! Damn, I was just up there in 2019 for Deuce Day Northwest and completely had forgotten about it or I certainly would have stopped by there. I wish I would have written this down and had it on my itinerary! I think I might have been within 50 miles of it and could have easily stopped by there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  26. Mark Wahlster

Mark Wahlster

Been there a few times. I keep threatening to go by and see if he has any Willys 134L stuff. They made speed equipment for the Jeeps back in the day if anyone has it it would be Glenn.

27. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hitting a number of old speed shops like Salem would make for an exceptional road trip.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Budget36 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. AHotRod

AHotRod

It would be awesome to see a video done with the guys inside the speed shop.

ss.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  29. It would be nice if I lived closer to get together a bunch of guys and offer to paint it for Glen. The building could use a little fresh paint and I'm sure it would help him out and make his neighbors happy!

kidcampbell71 likes this.