Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing a 1948 Ford Steering Wheel???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by painterdaveee, Jun 27, 2011.

1. painterdaveee

painterdaveee

Anyone out there have any tips for removing a 1948 Ford steering wheel?Thanks,Dave

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

It's held on by a nut and the taper on the shaft. Remove the horn button, remove the nut, use a puller to remove the wheel.

3. painterdaveee

painterdaveee

Hey Thanks Dale,I must have the wrong kind of puller.Have to dig deeper on this one.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You need the common puller that has two long bolts going into the wheel's existing two holes for just this purpose. I think bolts are 5/16 coarse...
    Leve nut ON the shaft, turned out to the end, and drop a small bolt into the center hole as a pressure point for the puller.
    DO THAT...you will otherwise be astounded at how easy it is to squash the threaded end of the shaft! Don't lose the key...it is not quite a standard Woodruff.

5. painterdaveee

painterdaveee

Hey Thanks Bruce!I,m getting closer,but having a hell of a time getting the washer off,to expose the two holes.

6. humpie

humpie

just pulled a 48 pickup wheel.the two holes(5/16 fine) were alittle rusty so i retapped to 3/8/ course.after soaking it in wd40 and whatever else i could fine and beating on it for a few days it finally came off.good luck

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Washer??
    All the early Ford and F-1 wheels I have encountered had the two holes, though some were well disguised by crud, rust, and dust balls.

8. painterdaveee

painterdaveee

No holes in this steering wheel.Had to drill it,and tap it,and finally use the puller.Old Henry made this stuff to stay together.Thanks to all for the info!!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011