Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward to seeing this! Be careful doing this...
    ...having bucks and the ability to do this may get you some requests you can't turn down! :D There was a 27 roadster on 32 rails with a flathead v8 at breakfast this morning and it was fantastic! I'll post pics after the weekend for you.

3. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Like I said earlier in the thread, I had a '27 body that belonged to a friend of mine in my workshop for a while about 18 years ago. I took patterns and made a buck of the turtle deck. I have been storing this ever since. I have a set of rotten panels from behind the doors ( I think this is what you guys call bun panels) I took patterns of the door frames and patterns of all the swages (beads). I will post some photos of what I have as I go along.

I will build the chassis first and I will build the body on the chassis using a fairly detailed buck for the turtle deck and less detailed buck for the rest.

David

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

When I started building the buck for this body all those years ago, I part made a body and it was shown in one of the UK mags. I had every intention of making and selling them- I did not have one enquiry. (I used to work very cheap too) I have had my business for twenty years and was one of the first to offer this kind of work to hot rodders I have had a few cars featured but I get very little work on hot rods. I keep very busy on the vintage cars so I never worried.

David

5. fitzee

fitzee

Going to be watching this one.Do you have any other shots of the 23 body?? I want to build a body and find the 27 to be the best to start with. Most of it is curved with very little in the way of beads. Your plan include a roadster back?? The curve on the roadster is tricky,But I think running the steel have way through the roll and build the sides in two section might be easier.Seen this process done on a 32 Roadster build.

6. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

There is footage of it on my youtube footage just click the link.

David

7. fitzee

fitzee

Oh now you got me spending the night on metal shaping!!! Great work.

8. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I have a real one and also willing to help out another Brit, so if you need any measurements just E-mail me.
    Here is a sketch of the rear subframe i had to build for mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. i accidentally came acrost this and really like it, thought you might benifit from acouple pictures. here is the link to retreive more pictures for your personal stash http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...4772820?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45fb0e77d4

alittle from the ebay write up

"Sinister early style traditional hot rod. Finished in satin black with a dark red interior. All steel 1927 Ford Roadster that sits on top of a set of original 1932 Ford rails with an original 32 Ford grill shell and insert. The engine is a 59AB flathead with a 1939 Ford transmission. This car was built by Keith Tardel in Vern Tardel's shop and truly is a traditional hot rod in every sense of the word while still remaining very streetable. This car has been driven by the owner on many long trips including a run to the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. "

Attached Files:

29EHV8 and redoxide like this.
  10. fleet-master

fleet-master

WOW!!! Cool car!!!

11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

H Jack (bloodyjack) Thanks for the info, and the offer I will let you know if I need any more info. I have been following the build on your car.

Cadillacofin, That is the look I am going for. I have not decided what grill to use yet, I keep changing my mind. I will decide at some point in the build I guess.

David

12. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Here is a photo of the engine as it is now. The car has been off the road for a while and for some reason the heads were taken off. It was running before it was takem off the road and it turns over fine. There is no sign of any wear. The guy I bought it off (Davey) is going to come over and help me get it running again, hopefully next weekend. I want to have it running so I can check everything out before I strip the car down.

[​IMG]

David

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    Lil'Alb likes this.
  13. I'm in Chester and have a 27 on 21 TT rails. Not sure where about you are but you are welcome to take mesurements and templates from it.

The cowl and doors are standard 27, the sail panels are custom made to my leg length and done to make the car look like it is the front half of a touring (it's not). The rear panel is very early and has been narrowed to fit as if it were the middle panel in a touring.

My cowl/scuttle was very rusty and has much pitting and also needed the bottom six inches replaced. I would be interested in having a new one made. Perhaps you could PM me with some numbers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! I'm super surprised! I would think they would be a hit. Wonder what it would cost to ship one of those bodies to the US... Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

Here's those pictures.... This car belongs to Dennis, from the Pasadena Roadster Club. He's also a HAMBer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lil'Alb, redoxide and Shadow Creek like this.
  15. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Wow. All angles check out on these two.

16. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cadillacoffin thanks for the photos- I like the look of that car and it has the wire wheels like I will be using.

scootermcrad I have seen Dennis's car before but not those photos so thanks for posting them!. I really like his car and I am sure my car is going to look a lot like both of these cars - or a combination of the two. I will try and make it my own though.

David

17. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thats a dropped model axle on Dennis's car right? like I said I have a model a axle and I intend to use it instead of the axle on the modified. I will be dropping it myself.

David

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The axle is a 33 to 36, I think he said. The bones are 33/34.

19. Nice roadster!! This is a stock model T roadster body or a widened body?, or a pinch 32 frame?

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He said he pinched the frame quite a bit. I presume the body is stock, for the most part, with the exception of the obvious mods for later parts, and what not.

21. Hey David? I think you gave me the welcome on the Allmetalshaping forum, I'll keep this thread very closely, good luck with your project

22. Thank´s for the quick reply scootermcrad!!

23. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Yes that was me. Have you posted any of you rbuild on here yet?

David

24. Not until the moment I am in the process of making a replica of the model A pick up bed for one of my projects..

25. Dyce

Dyce

Hey David. You done yet:)

26. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Must be heaps more of these builds out there, I'd love to see a few more pic's posted.

29EHV8 likes this.
  27. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

That is correct. The body is stock and was only modified on the insides of the rear subrails to fit with the frame. The frame was pinched 3.5" to fit under the body. Unlike most 27/32 combos I made the frame a little narrower than the body so that there is 1/2" of overhang on either side. I also removed the rear portion of the frame rails at a couple of inches behind the side reveal and hand-made new Z'd rear frame rails from 1/8" plate so that chassis could not only sit low, but also funtion good.

And, the front axle is, like Scooter said, a '33-'36 and was dropped by Industrial Chassis in Arizona.

29EHV8 and Shadow Creek like this.
  28. As this is my idea of the perfect hot rod, (27 T roadster on 32 rails)
    Ive nicked every pic ive ever found of the combo, but could only find these two, which im sure came from here.
    I did find plenty of 27 T roadsters that werent on 32 rails, but ill save them for later. :)

Attached Files:

29EHV8 likes this.
  29. Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    Shadow Creek likes this.
  30. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for the pics Jimmy B - I have thought about making a track nose for it but I really like the A shell on Dennis's car. I like the look of the belly pans but I would have gone for an A frame if I was going to do that.

I have started making the frame Jig, I will put some photos up soon. I have been constructing a plasma cutting 'tracer' to make cutting the boxing plates and other parts easier. I have been wanting to make this for some time. I am very busy with customer work at the moment as well.

David