Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 Ford Clipped and Snipped: Ranger or S-10?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Jun 28, 2011.

1. I want to know from the people who know what is better? Ranger clip or S-10 clip for a 1950 Ford Custom 2-Door Sedan? I've seen the S-10 clip, and I like it, but what about the newer Ranger clips? The newer Ranger clips have rack and pinion, but they appear to be noticeably shorter at the width than the S-10. Thoughts?

2. I'll answer: Depends. What's the goal? If you want original, keep the Ford. Honestly, there is nothing wrong with it. Ryan said it best on another thread. If you want to run a small block Chevy on a small budget, perhaps the S-10 is best for you. If you want to keep the Ford with an all Ford platform on an all new set up with a small block Ford, go with the Ranger. Truthfully, it all depends on personal preference.

3. Thanks man. Appreciate it. :D

4. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

98 and up ranger clips do have control arms as opposed to the i beams BUT they have huge spindles and there are no lowering spindles available. The only option are drop bucket control arms or springs. I would go with the S10 you will be much happier!

5. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

from all of the info i have gathered i believe the s10 will be better. more parts available as stated above. i want airride so the aftermarket stuff is a plus. also the s10 parts are cheap. dropped spindles, bag cups, etc... as for the engine i will run a small block ford in mine when i build one. but it will be s10 clipped and maybe a s10 rear to maintain the same lug pattern. or possibly redrilled rotors if i run my 9" ford rear.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do a search here-lots of info posted for installation of S10 clip, and opinions about doing it. have a '51 coupe with the clip and it is a bit too narrow, so you do not want a clip that is narrower

7. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

you have a ranger clip or s10 clip?

8. Obsessedwithchop

Obsessedwithchop

s-10 clip it and be done.

9. Id use the78 to 86 g body malibu monte carlo gran prix ect......... its the same as an S10 but just a bit wider

10. The G-body clip really is too wide for the Ford front end, just like it's too wide for the same era Chevy. The wheels stick right out the fenders on the Fords unless you run some kind of wierd offset FWD car rims. I've seen a few that were done with them.

11. I like the hair man.

You're right. I've seen people who have bought a shoebox Ford with the earlier G-Body front clip on the car, and I've actually seen them cut down the a-arms just to get the tires back under the fenders. They also say that the car handles like shit afterwards.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

when installing S10 clip consider Zing so that it sits lower without further mods, or bag it.
    my '51 coupe has clip with stock set up, except 2" dropped spindles with 205/75/15 tires and just installed 302/C4. adding eng/trans did not lower frontend at all. will try 4cyl springs-using lower springs causes other clearance problems

Attached Files:

13. shoebox50

shoebox50

I used a s10 clip on mine .

Attached Files:

14. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I would use the s-10 clip, as stated above there are parts for those front ends to drop them from a ton of vendors. There is a ranger front clip under my 48 F-1 but it was there when I bought it, If I were to do it, I would put in a S-10 clip. And like Jalopy Joker said, you should really think about zing it when you put it in. We z'd the nova front clip under my 55 Olds 5 or 51/2 inches and got it down to the point I won't have to do any other mods to get the stance I wanted.

15. I like the color on yours.