Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sanity check; good trade or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duration, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

Had a guy stop by yesterday and look at my coupe. it wasnt for sale, but he wanted to check it out. After an hour of lookiit over and me telling him about it he asks if I will trade it to him for a 2004 corvette! At first I took it as a joke, but he was serious! I have maybe 5 grand or so into the coupe, a 36 ford with a 455 engine trans and rear out of a firebird, used stuff I had around. The corvette looks great, tho I dont know what they are worth. it's got to be worth more than my car I'm sure. I asked him to give me a day or two to think it over and then come back. this seems like a really good deal to me; is it worth trading? I know the vette isnt hamb car stuff, but probably some of you have had similar trade offers for your hot rods, what are your thoughts or experiences?

2. RDR

RDR

Corvette...Good donor stuff,huh....just be sure of clear title if you did trade...Also picture of your '36 for us would help...

3. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

my 36 isnt finished; not painted and not much of an interior. grey primer mostly, but it runs and drives good. long way to go.

4. If I ever get a '36 Ford coupe, you will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

An 04 Vette is a $18K to $25K car, depending on condition and options.

What will each car be worth in 10 years?

Rich

6. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

NA- dont do it -corvettes make you look and act funny.you start by looking down nose at people, then you start wearing jewellery

7. Sounds like a good trade. Bluebook the vette, then you will know more about how great a deal it is. A solid '36 coupe is worth about 10-15k no? Plus you said you have 5k in it.

8. Eight433

Eight433

Do it. Flip the vette, walk away with way more money than you have invested, and quickly blow the profits on another cool hotrod!

9. Watch out for Wilbur he carries a knife. :p:D

For monitary value look in rhe NADA book there is one available on line.

As for the trade here is what you need to know. Anyone with credit can own a corvette.

I'll offer you a better trade here and now. My '53 Stude for your '36, you keep the engine and tranny and I haven't installed mine in the Stude yet.

10. If the vette end up being a better deal...I hope you don't plan on keeping it. I'd only do a trade like that planning on making some money.

11. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

lol! not much chance of that, brother!

12. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

thats my plan, after driving the vette a while. newest vehicle i own now is a 1978 pickup.

13. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

lol. sorry, beaner I never liked studes much!

14. Ha Ha, I've never seen you but in my mind I can see you with a big ass floppy hat and a gold Mecedes emblem hanging around your neck. Maybe some gold tooths :D:D

Hell I like ya already, instead of doing something you might regret you asked for opinions/asdvice and then didn't get all pissy when you got some. ;) :cool:

But you caught my drift right?

I'd offer you the '38 but that would cause me even more problems than the Stude and the Stude could make you and I roomies.

15. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Its not about the book value, Its about what you can sell it for. How hard would it be to replace your coupe? How hard are they to find? It all boils down to If you want a 04 Vette instead of your coupe. Its not about book value, Its about your happiness value!

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Jamie

16. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

Lol Beaner, guess I better buy a silk shirt or two!

17. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Be sure to check the Vette title to see if it has "rebuilt" or "salvage" on it. Ones like that are harder to sell.

18. brad chevy

brad chevy

Why don"t you tell him to sell his Vette and buy yours outright.Look around,thousands of Corvettes for sale and not selling. Where you going to find another 36? Don"t let the just because its a Vette and newer than yours get you stuck with something you can"t get rid of. Throw the 36 up for sale and it will be gone.

19. It even gets worse if you're married, gotta get the wife a boob job, a face lift and a hooker wardrobe...

Bob

20. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

your'e gonna do it are'nt you-you will be sorry-hehe

21. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

I built the 36 quick for fun. was planning to finish it nice some day but my main hot rod will always be my 57 pickup. I wasnt looking for a 36 when i found this one, it was just cheap and i saw potential there. Its a fun car but rough. I have to believe the vette would be worth more and easier to sell when time comes to it but i thank you all for different opinions, it helps.

22. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I'd do it, and just to put this thing in perspective: post this question on a Corvette forum and see what happens.

23. I'll give you a shirt if it comes to that. You'll have all your cash rolled up in your grill. ;)

24. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

My take on this is how attached are you to the '36? Were you building it to keep it, or building it to eventually sell it and move onto another project?

Depending on where YOU are coming from and/or going to makes the difference where you're going to wind up.

If you bought the car to flip, you're going to make out on the trade as you'll be able to sell the vette for cash OR trade it towards another potential project. It may give you the cash to purchase that 'dream' project you've always wanted.

We can't think for you, but this is an opposing viewpoint on what everyone else is saying.

25. Crankhole

Crankhole

Someone please find me a solid, good running and driving '36 for 10-15k.

26. Motochris

Motochris

^^^^That is the way to look at it.

If you don't mind moving on to something else and the money from the vette will help..trade him. If you like/want the 36, then don't.
    I just picked up another car about 2 weeks ago and was offered $7000 more than I bought it for a few days ago. My friend thought I was nuts for not taking it.. but I've been looking for a car like I just bought for almost 3 years. I don't know that I could find another in similiar condition for the $7000 more.... so I declined.

27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sounds like an ideal situation for you: you can sell a car that you haven't finished, one that you aren't working on, one that will never be your favorite...and make money doing so!

on the other hand, be very certain to closely examine the Corvette for frame damage, etc. Take your time and be thorough. Also, run the VIN through Carfax, it is only $20-30. Before you do, ask the seller what Carfax will display. This is a good way to see if he is being forthright.

Are you prepared to go through the selling process on the Vette? It can be a pain in the ass selling a car, but at least you can drive/enjoy it while it is for sale. Put a 4sale sign in the window and drive it.

best wishes

28. alchemy

alchemy

We still need to see a pic of your 36 to make sure it isn't worth twice what the Vette's worth.

29. I would pick a 36 coupe over a Vette any day. I am not too practcal about the money.

30. brad chevy

brad chevy

Well if after reading the response about your 36,you really don"t want to keep it so do the trade and see how long it takes to want to get rid of the Vette.In the real world the 36 is worth more than the Vette depending on the person wanting each.On the Hamb the 36 is worth a lot and on a Corvette forum they think there cars are priceless.