Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Billetproof 2011 Chehalis, Wash pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Jun 25, 2011.

1. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Yeah thanks for letting me hang with you guys the drive down was a blast and the frigging bump on I5 Made me use my WWII lap belts for the rest of the trip :)
    I took the back streets home for part of the journey

[​IMG]

2. Choptop

Choptop

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. Marty , your Nash is a "Field Car " Ha !

4. Choptop

Choptop

again... I really dont know what show you went to if someone is saying its not worth going to... This isnt just me, ask any of the people that go to all of the traditional style hot rod shows across the country, Billetproof NorthWest has hands down some of the best quality cars and in greater volume than just about any other show out there.

there was indeed a year cut off this time. Some cars get in that shouldnt. Happens every year. It happened at the very first Billetproof and it will continue to happen. There were 3 that I can think of that were pretty big violators of this rule... and all I can do is offer you the same offer I make everyone else and that NO ONE has yet to take me up on... You can work the gate next year. It comes with a hotel room for the weekend, a t-shirt, free entry to the show, free food and beer... but you work the gate turning away cars that are out of year or have some other offending feature. You show up on Friday and get a short briefing then show up at 6am and work until noon. Are you game?

5. Choptop, you are correct . Yes some cars get threw the cracks it's going to happen, I see no foul on that what so ever. It's great that some of us can drive to the show and it's nice to meet up with people and make a event out of it. I don't find anything wrong with "trailering your car" to a show. Choptop has a valid point. I would rather have a guy bring the car to the show , than have it sitting in the garage were we couldn't see it all. Having been in the car show know, Alan.. great show . Vendors come and go, and with the economy it's rough . Would I like to have seen more vendors sure, but times are tough. All the best , will see you next year. Best regards Rob

6. Choptop

Choptop

here is a bit of perspective...

I go to the Pebble Beach Concours every year, and have been for over 20 years. I know people on the acceptance committee...I've done just about everything at the show but be a judge... its tough to get your car accepted to show there... VERY tough. Sometimes the person that designed your car is the one looking at the entry application to make sure its "correct" before its shown... and even at that.... every now and then there is car that makes it onto the green at Pebble that will raise questions as to whether or not it should be there.

if it happens at the SuperBowl of Car Shows, its bound to happen at a show were the Gate Goons get about 5-10 seconds in the wee hours of the morning to look over your car to make sure it fits in the rules.

Gate Goons wanted, apply @ [email protected] (916) 207-4645
    :D

7. I want to personally thank you Choptop for putting this event on. If the (Traditional) crowd all get their panties in a knot and judge others as being inferior and stop showing up, then they are ultimately responsible for the show starting to suck!!! The more numbers of the traditional hotrods that show up, the better percentage of cool cars will show up. As far as some non traditional cars making it through the cracks, its bound to happen, but even 6-8 out of 600 is damn good . This show is by far one of the best out there. One of these years I hope to have my car/cars out there and will be part of the crowd that supports shows like this and not be one of the complainers. After the people that seem to complain about anything and everything, it gets easier to just call it quits and then where will we be? For those that complain, why not try and help make it better for everyone instead of just showing up and thinking it should run just only as you see it. Pony up and start volunteering and make a difference.
    Choptop, thanks again for bringing Billetproof to the Northwest.

8. Choptop

Choptop

dont get me wrong... I dont get upset over this kind of stuff... 2500+ people had a ball at the show and the cruise and there are always a few that will complain about something. I let most of it roll off... but every now and again I feel compelled to speak up about some stuff that just flat out aint true or is blown way out of scale.

Billetproof NorthWest is an amazing show. Easily up to if not above the standards of the shows that everyone on the HAMB raves about no matter what, even though some of the other shows have no restrictions on style of car. Again, thats not just me saying it, ask anyone that goes to most of the other shows.

9. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I didn't make it down this year but I'm holding you personally responsible for the bad road surfaces on I-5 near Chehalis too..

10. 41plym

41plym

Great show Alan we had a blast!!!
    41plym

11. Centralia's one way two lane road system helps make this one special
    evening cruise event following the car show. Sure the police presence kept things in check this year, but if matters had gotten out of hand such as last year this would not be taking place ever again. Kudo's to Alan/wife and supporting crew for another great event, looking forward to 2012.

Attached Files:

12. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

For the first time I stayed in a hotel instead of camping and there was more trucks with trailers than cars on Sunday morning that's were I am getting my facts from.
    The hotel was far enough away so that the trailer guys could hide the fact!
    I don't care people can do and bring what ever they want its just ironic because billet proof makes T shirts that say "fuck trailer queens" and I find the irony amusing.
    Hey rabbid your right all my traditional buddies stayed away there was a lot of local guys noticbly absent. I have been to every one so i know, you yourself did not even bother to go.

13. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Thanks to everyone who has posted pics of the show. Great shots!

A big thanks to Alan & Melissa for putting on a great show, and allowing us to bring Jr along for the ride. It was much appreciated!

This is the only pic I got of the trip, but I thought you would get a kick out of it.

Attached Files:

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I didn't make it, but you'd think if there were lots of OT rides there we'd see a picture of one of them with all the pics posted everywhere? All I see is pics of rides that are correct for this event.

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Is it ironic that the one who complains is the one doing DONUTS in the field???

16. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

There was a really nice 70s Mercury Marauder parked right in front of the stage, and a couple other muscle cars spread throughout. The posters didnt mention a cut off year and the gate folk obviously didnt know. Trust me Josh, im not the only one complaining, just the one that happens to be on the hamb. The trailers were deep in the parking lots around the event. I can understand a competition car, but im talking rusted piles of junk that were nowhere near safe to drive on the street.

I like driving my car and i drive it hard. Thus the doughnuts in the fields. I dont get folk that are afraid to give it some throttle and have fun, but what do i know? im just some punk kid. :D

17. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Well the good news is if yer not into it you don't have to go next year.

18. Choptop

Choptop

like I said, there is a difference between trailering your car in that wouldnt otherwise make it to the show, ala a competition car or non-freeway friendly car coming from a long distance, and a "trailer queen"...

here I'll post some examples via pictures...

Not a trailer queen, even though likely trailered to the show....
    [​IMG]

trailer queen if trailered to the show
    [​IMG]

and no the difference isnt that one is painted and the other isnt.

do you understand?

19. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Oh dear you went there
    Yes I understand, were does the Best of show fit between these 2 examples?
    and forgive me I am just playing devils advocate i loved it traditional and fantastic.
    [​IMG]

20. Choptop

Choptop

The people at the gate did indeed know about the cut-off year. This is the 2nd time I've posted as such, if you dont believe me I can provide you with their phone #'s and you can ask them directly. I've already given you mine.

And it wasnt a 70's mercury... it was a 1969 Mercury Cyclone 428 CJ owned by the same person since high school. You know how he got it into the show?

1. Own 1969 Mercury Cyclone 428 CJ since high school
    2. Restore 1969 Mercury Cyclone 428 CJ
    3. Become a pledge to the Slo-Pokes car club, one of the oldest and most respected car clubs in the country
    4. Prove yourself worthy to be a member of this club (here is a hint, it takes a while)
    5. Show up in Friday and put in some work
    6. Show up on Saturday and put in more work
    7. Be there on Sunday and offer to clean up
    8. Dont be a punk kid with a bad attitude

then you too can get your 1969 Mercury Cyclone 428 CJ in the front row at a Billetproof Show. Is the car out of the year range? Yep. Do I care? Not a bit.

were there a couple others that shouldnt have made it in? Yep. happens every year. Happened at the first Billetproof and it will always happen. Thats just the way it is. There is a way for you to prevent this tragedy, you can volunteer to work the gate. That way you can use your psychic power to detect which ones came to town on a trailer and make sure that none that are out of year range sneek past you.

I've already posted my email and phone #, I await your answer.

and no, I wont let this one go.

What do you know? is right.

say the fairground doesnt like someone doing donuts in their field. do you think they will invite us all back? Every thought of that? Guess not.

I'll send you a free entry to the Billetproof Drags where you can drive you car as hard as you like... do burn outs alllllllllllllll day long. The track WANTS you to do burn outs. They need the rubber laid down on the track.

I'll bet you $1 that you dont show up. ;)

21. Choptop

Choptop

if you dont understand the difference between a high dollar, billetclad trailer queen...

and

a home/club/family built 60's show rod built by hand and for less $ than most show cars have in just clear coat... you really dont understand Billetproof or dare I say... traditional hot rodding in general.

and yes I know that is a bold statement. I'm not given to saying things like that... but having already had one person out right complain about it, and another insinuate it... I'm really blown away. Devils advocate or not... if you dont intuitively know the difference and have to ask? you dont get it.

are you the one that complained about the Take-Out-T at the show? or are you #2 to do so?

22. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I am not complaining I loved it I was ask you, Were you thought Americas Most Beautiful T Roadster fell in your examples??????

23. Choptop

Choptop

I dont think that a hot rod built by a man and his father and his traditional car club in their 2 car garage, for less money than most AMBR contenders spend on raw materials for their clear coat alone... built with the intent of showing the other AMBR contenders that the traditional style is alive and well and that you dont HAVE to spend a ton of money to play in that arena if you do things the traditional way, by hand, with the help of your club and your family... falls into the realm of "trailer queen" in any way, shape or form.

again, anyone that doesnt understand that difference, REALLY, and I mean REALLY doesnt get it.... or is trying to be tooooo cool for the room.

I would rather have 1 Take-Out-T be the only car at a Billetproof show than 600 hot rods owned by people with the wrong attitude behind them.

24. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Hmm I guess you reading between the lines in my opion it was the best thing at the show hands down and whatever you might think I do get it.

25. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

What was? I would like to know what I didnt see.

26. genosslk

genosslk

Choptop...... I must say.... I think you did everything correct with this show. I back you up on all you have said in this forum. I have not enjoyed any show that I have ever been to in the past 50 years any more than this show. I will return again next year with friends! Great Job!

I get pissed off on the guys that complain about anything and everything. Let them run a show and see how they do! I know how much work goes into these events trying to make everything work and go on schedule. Let these complainers try and do what you have done. If they don't like it.... stay the hell home or offer assistance to make it better.

Don't let these guys get to you, they have nothing better to do with their time.

27. Choptop

Choptop

I meant to put in my post.. "the rhetorical you"....

not directed at you personally. i guess I should have used "one"....

not trying to dig at you.

28. A Rodder

A Rodder

My wife and I were the ones awarded with coolest wagon by none other than Alan himself. Well guess what we trailered it.

We have been here since the beginning. We have driven our model a twice and our chopped 33 pick up once. This year with three of our four boys and our 6 month old baby girl we just didn't have the room. When you need a stroller, a portable crib, ice chests for food, five bags of clothes and more totes for toys and such it just wasn't feaseable.

I drive the hell out of our cars daily. We use the wagon regularly, it took two and a half years to find a 56 bel air 9 passenger. It didn't and will not just sit in the garage. If that means trailering this year so my FAMILY can come so be it.

If anyone has a problem they can fuck off!

If Alan himself has a problem with it he can let me know and I will skip his show, but I think he knows that our car is not a trailer queen and that is not the attitude and lifestyle I have.

So in closing, Alan we love the show, it is a highlight of the summer for our club and more importantly my family. If we are welcome back, we and the 15 or so in our caravan will see you in 12 months

Sincerely, Joe

29. Hey Guys, I opened this thread and I will have it closed if need be. I wanted to let people see pictures and post some of there own as well. I like to share my pictures with folks that couldn't come or are from out of state and let them see what happening in our neck of the woods. I see the points taken and noted, but this thread wasn't started to vent what you didn't like, or what car(s) should have or shouldn't have been in or trailer queens. Save this for some other thread, and if you have pictures please post them. Enough said let's drop it , keep some pictures coming .

30. Bravo! I agree 100%