Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two-doors vs. mordoors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63Biscuit, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a confession to make: generally, I think mordoor cars are just as cool as two door models. However, working on a kid's book project of mine (and using my own photos as picture material), I've noticed something I hadn't before: that a lot of two door roof lines are much more, well, stylish, than a four-door model. Yes, I'm generalizing here - there are exceptions (in my eyes) both ways. Anyway, maybe I'm "getting it" now at long last. I know, I know...I'm late to the party *knuckles forehead*. Can you forgive me? I feel so much better now that it's off my chest. :D

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Four doors are for your Mom.

Two doors are what the cool kids have. :)

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

how about 3 doors like a sedan delivery? most anything can be made to look cool if you do it right.

4. When I was growing up in So Cal, four doors just weren't cool at all. They were family cars or for old ladies. We tried to avoid being seen in a four door if at all possible. I have grown to appreciate old four doors a little bit over the years but I still carry the idea that they just aren't as cool...sorry. Yes, two door roof lines are generally more stylish.

5. RichG

RichG

6. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Oh goodness, not another one...

7. cederholm

cederholm

Are we really back to this again?

8. I don't see very much difference in the roof lines of two door or 4 door sedans.
    Two door wagon vs 4 Dr wagon also same roof line.
    2 Dr coupe vs sedan is a huge difference that even Stevie wonder can see

9. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

If they are running, 4drs are great!......that way they can drive into your garage to part them out!!! But I do have a 32 4dr I like but I still really think 4drs make great parts cars.

FLiP

10. Biscuit,
    The old two door four door argument has been around for a very long time. I am older now and a little more flexible and think it is all a matter of taste.

There are some moredoor cars that have excellent roof lines. A lot of guy for instance like the flat top Buick's. Some post cars actually don't have much difference in roof line if they are two door or four door. your belaire for instance. the two door roof is the same basic shape.

I personally like the roof on a '56 Chevy 4 door hard top. I just think it is a better looking roof than the 2 door hard top. I have always thought that to get a 4 door '56 and a pair of 2 door hard top doors and convert it to a two door hard top would be the chit. But it is a matter of personal preference once again.

For me it has always been about owning a two door and lots of times I just don't get it when I am around 4 door guys. But it may be the era that I am from or who knows what.

Anyway I guess you are forgiven if I am.

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Quote of the Day people!! :D

12. RichG

RichG

"Paging James Maxwell. James Maxwell, you have a thread waiting."

13. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

thud...thud...thud; that's the sound of a dead horse being kicked........

14. rodknocker

rodknocker

If 4 doors became as popular as 2 doors, the 4 doors value would go up then the 2 door would go up in retaliation for the 4 doors going up, then the bottom would drop out and you'd have Florida all over again. I'm ok with not being the popular kid.

15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

who cares what anybody else thinks?

if you like the looks, convenience and price of a four door, then own one.

at least you would then have an old car to enjoy, and that would be something a lot of the naysayers on the HAMB wouldn't have!

16. I'll bet you say that to all the boys. :D:D

Here is the deal. I'll start promoting a show just for four doors. If all you fellas get your freak on over a four door it will leave more two doors for me to screw up.

Bottom line is its different spots for different dots. I may not be as thrilled with someone's four door project as I am with someone's two door project but it isn't really about me is it.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

((((((yawn)))))

18. Yep, that's pretty much it.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Saw this very thing done on a '57 Chev that was on display in Des Moines Goodguys event last year or the year before. Did a double take when I noticed it. Did look pretty good, imo.

Ray

20. Rebracer

Rebracer

As stated partially above, there is a much bigger difference between a 2 door hardtop and a 2 door sedan roof line (and more) than a 2 door compared to a 4 door roof line in most cases. I still have a soft spot for four door cars cause while they may not make the best hot rods they are the big cars that most people drove, when you look at old photographs they are filled with four door cars. In my opinion the big cars from 1959 to 1963 look the best when they are four doors.

21. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

making a 4 door sexy ain't easy,but not impossible

Attached Files:

22. Hey Naysayers.... We are here to enjoy all of our cars and those we choose want to build...that's what this site is about. Why do we keep going down this road?
    There are so many "this vs.that" we could do the same arguments with...like RR vs.Traditional!!etc. it really gets old after awhile...

Let's put this to rest....drive what you like...or can afford...or what suits your family....bottom line!

23. Two door four door who cares as long as u like it

24. Some of the real old custom guys would take a four door and make a two door our of it. They were able to get a different custom that way.

What they didn't do was hang mags on a four door and call it custom.

A good example is the logo for the Swanks Car Club. That car started out as a brand new Kaiser four door. The fella that started the club bought the car with a vision to build himself a two door custom out of it and did. I wish I had an actual picture of the car or could remember his name, it is a beautiful car. But it is a full on custom.

I am not a custom guy but if I had a four door and that was what I had to work with it would be the fastest car in town. It would not look like the fastest car in town. Four door cars for me need to look like mom's car with the hub caps removed, or with dawg dish hubcaps. Sleepers are just too cool. they are worthless for picking up chicks but so is a real hot rod, customs are for getting girls and hot rods are for getting rid of them.

25. dmikulec

dmikulec

1963 Chrysler Newport - same great looking roofline for 4 doors and 2. Of course, I'm a bit biased. :cool:

26. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we drive a four door and think that the 4 door version of the car is much nicer than the 2 door. we love the four door and really dont care whats "traditional" or not.

27. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have many of both kinds.I buy a car because its what I like.I have never bought a car or looked at one because of what others would like.You either love cars or you are in a popularity contest.

28. SLCK64

SLCK64

I must say moredoors grew on me when I got mine. Maybe a lil biased but the 64 Comets are the best looking moredoors, or the hard top GM fullsize cars(example, 66 Caprice).

Plus 4doors are much sleepier sleepers!!! :)
    Dont fire me for the rims or help springs, they are gone....(pic was from 2000)
    [​IMG]

29. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yes, good attitude. You certainly would NOT want to do anything deemed "traditional" on this forum. :rolleyes:

30. squirrel

squirrel

Always have been, always will be. Good to see you finally figured it out.

Not that there's anything wrong with four doors.....if that's what you like....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.