Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slowing down your drill press.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Jun 26, 2011.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, he's not changing the motor speed, but it is changing the load on the motor, which will affect torque. Might draw a lot more amps in this scenario than it did before. I'd check the nameplate amps and then check the motor when it's running to see if it's drawing over nameplate amps, and if so it will eventually kill the motor windings.

2. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

3. Frank

Frank

good grief the coffee hadn't kicked in. I'm sitting here looking at it thinking...now what kind of pulley is he going to put on the bottom there and how is that going to work?

But I get it now. You have a great idea though.

But since that nub of a shaft is there, I was thinking maybe attaching a small sanding drum or wire brush (with a guard) so you could buff a small part right after drilling....

4. When you gear down, there's less load on the motor. Imagine staring off in high with a stick shift car.

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, you can all keep cogitating load and torque and sewing machine parts and whatnot.... I've got holes to drill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(the sewing machine controller and Variac do sound interesting though)

6. Jagman

Jagman

Are you going to build a guard for it?

Most of us just figure since it's just us in the shop there's no need to guard it, but I still think it would be worth the time investment - might save a finger or two.

7. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

the variac is i guess an old rendition of a variable frequency drive like i use on my old j-head bridgeport mill..

i have the vfd running off 220v 30amp circuit single phase input, 208 3 phase output to the mill.. i'm running a rheostat to gain a percentage of speed adjustment which i have programmed through the vfd.. i run a low side 40hz and a high side of 80hz adjustable through the rheostat mounted on the side of the drum switch... the drum switch still handles the forward/off/reverse control of the mill... i also have an e-stop disconnect wired on the enclosure that cuts all power to the vfd...

relatively inexpensive way to power multiple 3 phase machines with single phase power..

Attached Files:

8. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing to it. Regards, Ron

Attached Files:

• dp5.JPG
      dp5.JPG
      File size:
      139.5 KB
      Views:
    • dp3.JPG
      dp3.JPG
      File size:
      99.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I'm with you, I'll build a guard, those pulleys can catch some loose hair, jackets, a kid finger.... just seen to many accidents... just my two cents.