Register now to get rid of these ads!

Road Trip with 223

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clintonvillian, Jun 27, 2011.

1. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Would any of you guys have any problems with hopping in a F100 with a 223 inline six and driving it 1000 miles to the beach????

Whats some of the longest runs you've had your old motors on???

2. No problem, go. The best part is gettin there. Have an adventure.Watch out for sharks though.

3. Should be no problem if it is in good running order. Years ago I took my '63 Ford PU (262 six) on a 2200 mile trip.....no problems, ran like a champ!

4. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I had a 223 in my pickup when I got it and it ran great! I would have no problem driving that motor anywhere. I still have it to.

5. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

I had no problem driving mine wherever I wanted rain or shine.

6. reverendjim

reverendjim

put a shorter gear in it for better fuel and less stress on the motor i have 308 in mine and do 70 all day long with no problem and i drine it to dallas all the time and back thats 500 miles

7. People used to drive these things every day as their only vehicle. As long as it's been maintained and you've checked it out, it's not going to fly apart just because you drove it 1000 miles instead of 100. Yesterday I was driving around a truck that I hadn't driven in like 18 months and only even started for about 30 seconds the week before (didn't have enough gas in it to get to the fuel pickup). Other than a fuel leak and a leaky axle grease seal, it would go anywhere.

8. I'll be takin' mine on a road trip soon after it's on the road. The worst it could do is break down. Even if it does, there's more chance of getting it running again than my modern electronic car.

9. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Well, I agree, way easier to work on....... the parts just worry me abit. ending up stuck in a town for a day or too waiting on a water pump or thermostat for the thing...

10. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

BTW my intentions are to regrind the cam, larger valves, shaved head, clifford performance parts.....Just worried about pushing it too hard thats all.

11. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Drove my old 223 powered '54 Mainline all over Texas with never a problem. A friend of mine has a 223 in his '58 F100 that he uses for work, driven everyday, reliable as hell. As with any road trip and any old car, keep some stuff like a carb kit, points, belts, hoses, fluids, etc. Or if you have spare parts and some room, it doesn't hurt to carry spares like carb, water pump, dizzy, u-joints, etc.

12. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

yeah thats a real good idea.............

13. reverendjim

reverendjim

i like what they do at clifford but there are much cooler things you can do to hop up that 223 a 3x1 or 2x1 offy intake from exeter auto pertronix point repacment. and coil. hell change to an altenatopr from a genny and she will love you for it. there is a reason so many of those 223 are still running and that is they are bullet proof. and the 1700 that clifford will charge you just aint worht it for the street i have done it and i regreted it. i found that tradional hop up parts served me better and were way more cost effective, just saying

14. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Ive looked at all of those options, generator will definately be switched. I like the clifford headers better than any others I've seen, I like the Offy stuff ALOT but three carbs = 3 times the headache.... Nice when they are all working but a bear when they arent...

15. dave s

dave s

i drove my daily driver 59 ford truck with a 223 to colorado and back last summer from connecticut and had no problems at all with the motor. it ran great at 60 with stock gearing the whole way. only hick-up was a frayed wire in the dizzy but that was fixed on the side of the road no problem. mine was stock internals, and had an adaptor on the stock manifold with a holley 94 and averaged 15mpg with the truck loaded with about 400lbs+/-.

like texas h/c said, bring a set of tools and some spairs. if you have it you probably wont need it but if you dont have it you'll end up needing it...

16. reverendjim

reverendjim

the problem with tubular header i that you have to use the clifford manifold because of fuel attomasation