Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see some sheet metal shaping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhnarial, Sep 16, 2008.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

http://cgi.ebay.com/Baileigh-Power-...&otn=5&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=7823767683386690110

I have used just about every metal fabrication machine on the market and know what works and what does not. This Baileigh multi hammer is a monster. With its dual mode operation it moves and shapes metal with ease. Pulling the pin to engage the spring unleashes some serious metal crushing force. The quality and engineering that goes into the Baileigh machines is unmatched and the fact that it is Made in America is the icing on the cake.

Vinnie DiMartino
    http://www.vforcecustoms.com/

[​IMG]

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's up with that 550 Coupe?? Is that something that someone is building right now?? That picture doesn't look like an older build photo of the original... Please explain!!! If it's a new build PLEASE post more pictures!!

3. VonDutch51

VonDutch51
    from Virginia

I have no idea about the buildup of the car in the picture but I can tell you what it is or appears to be, looks like a replica of "550-01" the Porsche that debuted at Nurburgring in 1953 and raced successfully for over 4 years including the 1954 Carrera PanAmericana. Really looks awesome.:D Who knows maybe its the same car and not a replica.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A weekend of metal work to do! Bumpin' this up! Let's see some motivating work!

And I'm still waiting for some details on that 550!!!! Terrible tease!!!

BTTT!

5. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

Rear fenders for my MGB project

Built tubs for 315-35-17 clearance then added material on the outside to define the wheel opening

Cockpit (5).jpg

Fender 012.jpg

The top section is 3 pieces formed in the English wheel and welded together. The belt line was marked using a laser line (like you use to hang pictures with) off the line in the door and front fender. The bend was done with a tipping wheel rather than a bead roller so that the width could be tapered to nothing at the back

Fender 008.jpg

Fender 003.jpg

The lower rear section was formed and welded in. The wheel opening was tipped and spot welded to the inner fender panel.

Fender 023.jpg

The lower front section was done the same way and welded to the inner

Fender 030.jpg

It didn't look right so I extended the flare into the door by slitting the end and flaring out the outer skin.

Fender 055.jpg

Here's the finished product

On the ground 009.jpg

On the ground 020.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  6. gotwood

gotwood
    from NYC

I don't know if I am jealous that Vinny owns one or even more upset that he can afford to buy one?

Nice machine. I have a small power hammer and could only imagine what that can do. He with the most tools win...Could that be Vinny?

7. sr808

sr808

There's some real high quality talent on the HAMB! Thanks for the lessons. I gotta get in the shop and try some of this.

8. Machobuck

Machobuck

9. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

hey machobuck, you's a bad mofo. Id offer you a job in tx, but it looks like patch panels are beneath you!!! great work man!

10. kuasakuda

kuasakuda
    from Malaysia

few shapes from my shop :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. metalix_421

metalix_421

WOW JUST WOW. Ive spent the last three hours looking at every picture and reading every word. WOW

12. fleet-master

fleet-master

my roadster body..pretty straight forward compared to some of the awesome stuff on this thread i know :D

Attached Files:

13. 123pugsy

123pugsy

Nothing staight forward about that.

Nice job!

14. Nice looking roadster. That's some great work.

15. MP&C

MP&C

16. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Anymore details on the mini tipping wheel?

[​IMG]

17. Dyce

Dyce

I went to the metalshaping meet up by the twin cities a few weeks ago and picked up one of Cass Nawrocci's books he just finnished. It's well worth the money!! He adapts simple shop tools, the english wheel, eckold and bead roller to do some amazing things. Here is a link to the site to buy online and see the table of contents.
    http://forgiare-il-ferro.webs.com/

18. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

WOW!! There are some really AMAZING talented people out there. Thanks for sharing everyone.

19. NONHOG

NONHOG

I'll contribute not because I'm talented or amazing (I'm not). But because I'm willing to try. Very much a newb to sheet metal shaping I thought I'd give it a go on a badly rusted hood, being replaced anyway.
    Took a small section off an old 49 GMC Panel panel I still have.
    Beat on it with a body hammer in my vise with and w/o the rubber jaw covers. Though its not perfect it gave me hope to carry on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  20. gwarren007

gwarren007

Goodjob Nonhog!!

21. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

22. bigdav160

bigdav160

I see Eastwood has their bead roller, shrinker/tretcher and throatless shear on sale. Use coupon code 1EM0847 :D

I know the pros and cons of these asian imports but the sales price brings them in line with other discounters.

23. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

I have a customer with a 34 Hupmobile Cabriolet that needed the running board trim replaced. The originals were made out of Zinc, and the chrome was having major problems.

I made them in one piece. 20Gage steel. They were 69 inches long, and needed to be laser straight.

Put a hem in, put the beading in, and used an 8' press break to get the profile right. Then they were metal finished for chrome, which is not an easy task. Blocking/dykem/repeat.

The car should be at the Detroit Autorama, and World of Wheels in Chicago. It did pretty well at Columbus Goodguys this year.

Nice car, and it gets driven lots of miles.

Attached Files:

24. bjinatj

bjinatj

I sure love this thread...

25. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

This thread makes me want to quit my day job! Man I love working with metal, definately good motivation for some shop time this weekend!

26. 1938ute

1938ute
    from australia

Here's a hood I made this week for a 31 ford pickup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers Steve

27. Dyce

Dyce

Here's a lincoln quarter I'm working on. I'm making the front section. I have more pictures on my camera if anyone is interested.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I wish i had your skills that fender looks great...

29. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Dyce,

The Lincoln quarters look great, and as low & semi crowned panels are always " fun '' to build I'd like to see more.
    Thanx

" Life ain't no Disney movie "

30. MetalShaper

MetalShaper

part of a rollpan i make for 32 ford roaders.This was made to a brookville body..its a 3 piece deal corners and center section.

Attached Files: