Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you are "That Guy"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bilt, Jun 24, 2011.

1. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I am just a care taker you cant take anything with you in the end!

Attached Files:

2. jeffh547

jeffh547
    from Florida

:eek: OMG, I'm "That Guy", too. :eek:
    My name is Jeff and I have a problem....

We moved last December and have just gotten about half-way through my "Hoard". This year is the year that I get rid of my un-finishable projects and sell off my extra parts. I just need to get off my a$$ and START. Motivation has been my biggest obstacle.

Here is a pic of one trailer load of about 25 or 30.
    [​IMG]

3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

naa not me, Im gonna restore mine...

4. csclassics

csclassics

lol, I'm only 34 but I pass up alot of good deals because I know I'll never finish them.

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Are you saying I don't really NEED 10 427's??? :eek:

6. Great thread!...like a previous poster said, the only crime is letting it turn into unsaveable junk...and still hangin on to it, till it is no use to anyone. And even then it's the owners choice, allbeit somewhat bad judgement.
    I have two finished vehicles and one unstarted one,(a nice 57 DeSoto sportsman hdtop with a bit of floor rust and brake issues.)
    I'm 55 and the two that are finished are not going to be sold. One is my wifes and one is mine. I've done quite a bit of horse trading over time but have ended up with a couple of finished cars that we're happy with.
    The 57? Don't know ...maybe sell ...may remove the 392 and use it in one of the existing cars.
    Of course the shed is stuffed with memorabilia...most of it worth nothing except to me because of the atmosphere it lends to the man cave.

My point is, I can spend hours in my cave, music on, bourbon in hand, just absorbing the atmosphere and tinkering.......I'm not rich and my stuff isn't worth a fortune either but honestly....I am somewhere I always aspired to be, as a young bonehead, and you can't beat that.
    Peoples dreams are sacred.......if they happen to be 'That Guy" ...let them be, make no judgement......live and let live...move on.Mick Jagger put it quite well.....
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes, you get what you need."

Ps.. An understanding partner makes all the difference.

Love the HAMB.

7. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Yes!!!!

------------

I got rid of most of my projects years ago, but yeah, I have been that guy. Do happen to have a O/T 70's Vette sitting outside, rotting in a backyard, that couldnt be bought for any amount of money.

8. HopFrog

HopFrog
    from no where

All my teen years I was "that guy". now 50, I think about what you said and think about what I have laying around. There's not much any more. I used to have some strange Doug Thorly headers from a 1957chevy with a Pontiac 389 in it that won the 1963 Gator Nationals (Grand Nationals?); or so the magazine said. I could never use them on my GTO because the collectors went under the frame like a funny car dragster. I would have had to put a 6 inch lift on the car to mount them lol. I horse traded them critters and most everything else over the years.

All I have is what you see on my profile. Then I remember just 2 days ago I stick my head up in the garage attic and see an axle and door for the Datsun Roadster! Then I look on the metal shelves along the wall and see the rear brake drums for the same car! OMG, I'm still "that guy" :p

I'm not sure anything is for sale yet. I have a couple cars to fix up and sell though that is not on my profile. I'm rebuilding the tranny in a '88 Buick Century. Then I can sell that and my Dad's old Mitsubishi Galant and I will be down to the vehicles I care about lol

I do need to get down to a daily driver, a project car and one boat. Then I can live my dream of moving into a double wide in the desert next to the glider school and go soaring till I die.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  9. spaner

spaner
    from australia

sounds very close to me have big shed full of stuff over 2000 square ft of shed with only 3 cars in it if i want to work 0n anything i do it in the open. im retired and i would like to live in texas for 6 months of the year and 6 months back in australia but im 60 now might have left it bit late any help but no one comes they know me well. yours in rodding.

10. "I know I have a problem, but I'm not looking for a cure... just my next fix!!!"

I'm one of those guys...so what? Get over it!

11. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

my betterhalf stays on my case to start getting rid of stuff.

12. RAY With

RAY With

I always have a stock pile of motors and use most of it in the long run. I hang on to a lot of it then turn loose of it and start over again. Some of the guys I know have barns ful but never do any thing with it and to me thats hording. I think as long as you move stuff in and out of the market you got it going in the right direction

13. I like this thread. About 25 years ago I went to a large auction the old guy had once operated a salvage yard. Then after starting to recieve social security wouldnt sell anything just accumulated more. I didnt buy any cars. but I bought about a hundred carb,s a big pile of engines, lots of new gaskets parts ect. some one asked me at that time do you think you will ever use any of that stuff? Well I quickly sold about a dozen of the carbs Qjets for twenty apiece. Not too long ago I sold a partial stromberg in the Hamb classifieds for $100. I still have a lot of carter AFB& WCFB carbs also Roch 4GC I used a 292 chev engine for many years still have it needs rebuilt. sold two390,s for 300 each still have a 61 ,352. Used or sold a dozen small block ford& chev engines. used most of the chev& small block ford gaskets still have FE Y block Flathead nailhead gaskets. I spent $185 that day. The old guy that had the sale was a hoarder. I and many others benifited greatly from his hoarding. In the end some others will benifit from mine& others hoarding. OldWolf

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

Ooh ooh,..... Can I be that guy too ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And ya' got to have one in the basement !
    [​IMG]

15. Just remember to invite me over when you have a garage and basement sale!

16. big M

big M

I came to the realization that there would be never enough time to finish all the cars I hat ratholed away years ago, and was paying storage on a monthly basis to keep some of them, so I sold about twenty of them, and kept my favorites. Most of these are finned Mopars, and mechanically many parts interchange, so no need to keep tons of extra stuff in that regard.

Keepers include '57 Fury [Daily driver], '58 Fury, '59 Sport fury convert, '58 300 D factory EFI, and a '59 DeSoto ragtop. Also have a '56 'Bird, but will sell if the offer is tempting.

---John

17. No, I'm the opposite, everything I have has a price on it, the trouble is either no one wants the shit, or no one but the scrap man is willing to pay anything for it. A couple of the cars have absurdly high prices because I don't really want to sell them, but if someone waved the money at me I'd let them go.

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have many ol cars and many ol parts. There will be lots of folks thanking me for rescuing and saving all this from being sold for scrap...

19. carbking

carbking

Not me!!!

Virtually every part I own is for sale.

However, some of my vehicles (all licensed) will be for sale by my estate executor; but not until.

Jon.

20. alchemy

alchemy

I'm always going to be "that guy". It's much better to be that guy than the guy who's crying he doesn't have the parts he needs for his project.

21. cederholm

cederholm

I want to be that guy!!!

22. jagster

jagster

Wow! I just saw myself! But, I have an out, an excuse. You see, my son is a car nut, and he is so possessive of MY stuff that he thinks it is his, and he really gets uptight when someone asks to buy anything. I will simply give it all to him. His three other brothers will be pissed, but that's life. He is the only old-car nut of the bunch. Whew! That was easy!

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Okay, okay! Admitting you have a problem
    is the first step toward recovery, right???:confused:

Well, I'm NO QUITTER!:mad: The guy with
    the most cars, parts and miscellaneous
    junk when he dies WINS!:D

24. MrBullet

MrBullet

If you have parts and can't. Use them and won't sell anything, may the rust gods eat them to pits for you

25. Selling my N.J. Estate (haha). cleaning out the barns it is 2 to 1 . 2 trailer loads to recycle and one saved. only have 4 fourty foot sea-land containers full of useable parts. I'm that Guy big time.

26. I'm 42 and am steadily working on becoming that guy.....it's been a goal of mine for years.

27. Nope not me I had it all figured out...All it took was moving my inlaws into a wrinkle village to stop all that shit!! The thought of my kids laughing at dear old dad for having an extra grill for his first car(gone since 1975) still in stock plus stuff I collected for 57 years not meaning anything to anyone of my kids made me change direction. I took them to the shed had them pickout what they wanted and promply sold anything I thought I couldnt possibly finish in my lifetime...........Well it almost worked , I needed to fill those empty spots with something, it looked so cold and bare inside the shed...........so I now just have someone elses treasures besides, there are medical advances every day, maybe I will live to be 150 then I know I can get this stuff finished..............

28. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

WTF....we all are ..."THAT GUY"
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

29. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

All of you guys that are turning into "that guy" and don't like it, should send all of your stuff to me as therapy.

I'm not a therapist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

30. We all had better be "that guy" and be thankful for all the other that guy's because "the other guy" is gathering all this stuff up and hauling it to the crusher to support his drug habbit.