Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old National Trail Raceway Photos - never before published

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Royal Lancer, Mar 3, 2009.

1. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

Tim McDonald Corvette, GREG of Akron paint. Tilford Jones' F/MP Camaro too....CB

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Royal, before you go . . . first major drag event I went to (not back-roads stuff) was in '74 when Gary Beck first broke the track 6-second barrier, finishing with a 5.98 in his final run of the day in his Export-A top fueler.

You wouldn't happen to have a couple of photos of him that day, if not his final run from the starting line?

((BTW, the bleach burn-outs they still allowed in those days were AWESOME!)

3. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

The GREENHORN was driven by Alan Fetters...CB

4. [​IMG]

Looks like Goodyear Blue Streaks, 1965 or later. They had a blue groove on the side of the tire. Love the NTR pictures. Have any of Jerry Marquarts blue 1955 Chevy gasser, Bad Jose?

5. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

Greenhorn is now in North Ridgeville, Ohio. Soon to be restored. ...CB

6. hemifarris

hemifarris

It is Al Bergler's dragster in the center photo. Al's trying to find it. There's a $500.00 finder's fee if he finds it and is able to buy it..........Mike

7. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

Jack Pheneger from Akron, Ohio...GREG paint & lettering, Vanke prepped to a degree...CB

8. afan

afan
    from michigan

That's Al's car with Butch Maas doing the driven.

9. Al might have built himself a clone. I have a picture of a car that looks identical along with one of Dave Cranes museum cars at a show about two years ago at Red Barns in Kalamazoo. Sorry but the picture is too large for me to post.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  10. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

wow cool pics. thanks for sharing

11. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

I was WRONG about this AA/SR pic, it is NOT Mickey Hart's car. His was big block Chevy powered. Did not run a HEMI in his AA/SR.

Attached Files:

12. bobby nolan

bobby nolan

I originally painted all the Warlord cars. The Camaro is being told on Draglists et. sites to be an old Jungle Jim Car. It was not. The body was brand new and I made all kinds of modifications to it with Chuck Finders to fit it onto the Loggie Chassis that we took the Baracuda Body off of. Great Picture Bobby Nolan

13. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

I never heard that JJ tale before...Nolan Brothers, sure, I'm from Westlake. The Whaley Bros. lived directly across the street from my Jr High School in the late 60's and early 70's, on Hilliard Rd. I saw them roll their '69 'Cuda out with fresh Nolan Bros. paint in '69. I know the guy that runs DRAGLIST, there is A TON of misinformation on MANY cars there. These kids today that run these sites were BORN when these cars were out there every weekend RACING. Now they try to come off as some kind of drag racing historians clooecting poor info and passing it along as gospel truth...just my 2 cents worth on what is REALLY happening on the internet with old race cars guy like you and I know better about. I have a nice 8 x 10 glossy B&W of the '69 Cuda the Whaleys gave to me back then still !!!
    NICE to hear from you Bobby !!!....CB

14. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

That's the late Dick "Bulldog" Baker from Columbus. A longtime Stock Eliminator racer.

Attached Files:

15. Rader

Rader

I remeber that car welll.. it was in very good shape..

16. Rader

Rader

OK... I wish I would have found this site about 3 years ago but I am loving the photos and comments.... My father would be proud....

17. earon1964

earon1964

any more info on this car??

Attached Files:

18. Tripple G

Tripple G

Great thread - keep the pictures coming!

19. Tripple G

Tripple G

Also wondering if there's a similar thread for Dragway 42 and Norwalk?

20. Don Garey

Don Garey
    from texas

Hello to all, Im looking for any information, pics or actual car location of ANY of dads Chesrown racecars. thanks for any replies.

Don Garey.
    <!-- / message -->

21. WCD

WCD

Wow, I never knew. He really put Broadway Freddie DeName to shame. I really admired the Ohio based guys. For years there always seemed to be a bevy of competetive cars, both pro and sportsman that emanated from that state. Only when the Winternationals came around or the Supernationals at OMS did I get to see them. Francis Crider's C/D, Dave Armbruster B/D, the Rod Shop folk et al.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  22. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

That's "Moon" Kohanowicz from ALiquippa PA after having won one of their big $1,000 bracket races back in the early 80's. "The COUNT" '62 Impala he was driving is owned, and usually was driven by Charles "Count" Maravich, also from Aliquippa....CB

23. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Awsome ! Thanks so much for taking the time to post all the great shots. I would go to the Trails every year for the Spring Nats. meet my brother John from Lancaster there and hang all weekend. Will never forget the year of the big time flood ! Drove 6 hours to see the x-mas tree 1/4 way under water. Camping sure was fun !

24. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

I have a few!

25. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

What great pics. Any old A/fx or B/FX shots

26. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

How about a twin engine D/Dragster at National Trail

Attached Files:

27. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

Just talked to the original owner of the 3rd picture (the T) Sat night at Ed Crowders Drag racing Reunion..
    he STILL owns the car
    he plans to make it "Streetable" for this summer
    amazing, how many guys that raced in the 60's, still own there cars
    At a table I was setting at,another guy still owned his 1955 T-Bird (Raced in 1963-1969) it ran C modified production
    he also plans to put his on the street
    I had a blast at the reunion!
    I also raced from 1967-1969
    got to see a lot of old friends

28. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

This was the replacement Geiger&Williams D/D after the twin engin car. The first day out with the new car at National Trail

Attached Files:

29. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Gene Crapsy, then a mechanic at Ricart Ford is shown here racing his new '64 427 Galaxie in B/S at National Trail Raceway.

[​IMG]

30. nitro1

nitro1
    from ohio

The picture you say is gordon collet is larry janney if you look close it says gordon collet race cars larry had this picture hanging in his family room