Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do you price parts-

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by damagedduck, Jun 25, 2011.

1. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

when you realy can't find any comparison items,or their newer/new,i was reading 'are you that guy' & figure i better start moving stuff to found my build,
    i gone to the BAY & there's nothing real close to my parts,went to the 4-sale section here & found some stuff close but wayy nicer than mine.
    i don't wanna sell stuff for crackhead prices but i also don't wanna to rob anybody,

2. What are you selling?

3. jobbless

jobbless

Start with a high price. Take the best offer? Sounds kind of sh!#ty, but I suppose it would be the only way to do it.

4. I can remember what I paid for everything I have...I use that to help price my stuff....figure what I paid and cut that in half...that's what the stuff generally sells for..guess I'm not gonna ever get rich selling hotrod parts.

5. custom53

custom53

i like to get what i paid. when i sell stuff on here i put free shipping. i add a few bucks to the price to cover shipping. some times i make a buck or two and some times i loose a buck or two. it all works out in the end.

6. sell your parts for what you'd 'PAY FOR THEM AGAIN'. that way, you shouldn't feel too bad about the transaction.

7. darkk

darkk

Figure how much it would take to let go of the parts,If you don't want to be *that guy* just sell the damn stuff.....give somebody a deal.:cool:

8. I like this too, but everything is always negotiable so if the price is high, and they offer you something you can live with. take it...

9. I take my best guess. Next I ad 20% if the preson is going to resell them and take off 20% if they are going on a friends car. If I find out the "friend" resells the parts he promised to use on his car I chalk it up to experience but never sell him anything again.

Charlie Stephens

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

so heres the story,my grandpa[05-17-21/02-25-10] had a salvage yard from the early 50's to the mid 60's,he saved alot of random parts anything from the titles to motors,& some cars thats where i got my hudson from,he alway send me home with parts,i've been hording em for the last 20+ years. the only ties i have for some of them is he told to sell em when i was ready,well i guess i'm getting close to letting go,so i guess i'll play by ear, thanks guys

11. squirrel

squirrel

if you really want to sell them, put them on ebay for a dollar, no reserve. The valuable stuff will get bid up.

Might start at ten bucks instead of one to make it worth your while, and if it doesn't get a bid, give it away...

12. bryan6902

bryan6902

Remember there may not be a really big demand for some of your stuff, meaning the price will be lower. I agree with the no reserve/.99 cent opening bid, all it takes is 2 guys bidding it up.

13. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I just made a deal on some Model A stuff with a guy. I knew he had the stuff, so I went over and we walked his yard. When I asked him "how much do you want for this...." He really had no clue what to tell me, so at the end of the outing I gave him a list of the stuff I would like to purchase off of him and he thought about it for a while then threw me a number that was way out of line compared to our previous deals and this was for less stuff. I told him that was more than I expected, and then I offered him what I payed him last time I bought a car from him. He took it.

90% of the time I screw myself when I sell parts. An example would be when I sold a windshield trim piece from a '52 F-1 on here for $25. After I made the deal I had another HAMBer offer me $200 just to flake on the first deal .

14. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

best guess, as well...i also have substantial friend discounts for those who i know need or will appreciate it... for craigslist i always add 30% to weed out the kooks... the $1 ebay thing works too... some stuff goes for waaay more than i ever imagined and some i practically give away... but you can't put price on never having to look at that crap again!

15. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Reasonable prices will bring sales and help keep the hobby alive. JMO

16. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

yep but if the part is going to another car nut I'll take a hit and not mind too much. I'm a car nut which means I'm pretty much a not-for-profit guy. I've made money on parts, lost money on parts, given away parts and had parts given to me so I reckon it all comes out even.

Oddly enough though the parts I have pulled off cars holding the land in bar ditches seem to make me more money than the parts I purposely purchased with an eye towards resale.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds like the parts were free, correct? In that case eBay the stuff you don't know the value of with a low starting price, the market will determine the value. Give an honest discription with photos. I box everything like I was going to recieve it and boxing is free, however mailing a magazine and boxing a door and taking it to the FedEx depot are two different deals, so bulky stuff should be worth the boxing/trip to FedEx time otherwise you are loosing money.

19. Bilt

Bilt

I price my stuff by knowing what I would pay for an item then add a little to it. If it doesn't sale I lower my price a little. You can always bring your price down but its hard to raise the price after putting the word out.

A price only matters to two people....the buyer and the seller.

20. petebert

petebert

I usually don't sell anything until I'm sicking of looking at it, so I go pretty cheap.