Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think Im done

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Jun 25, 2011.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I think you're on the right track Jim. Life's too short to deal with negative people.

2. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Sounds to me like you know what you want, so have fun. If you change your mind some years down the road you can always start again. Good luck to you!

3. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

I feel for you. When I was a body man everyone wanted the work for free ( and I did a lot for free) then I got into construction and tile work. seem like everyone wanted that for free to. I even took some auto upholstery classes, and guess what, people wanted that done for free to. Most were family members who either sold the cars or houses after I was done and they made a profit and me zero. It took me many years to learn to say NO. I now only work on my own stuff and no has become my favorite word

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Sure as hell, someone won't be happy with the chop or body/paint work even though you've been doing it 25 years. You listed 39 car builds in your first post and 3 were unhappy. That's not too bad. We all know your work is top notch. Any tradesman knows you can't be everyone's hero.
    Maybe doing just body and paint and an occasional flip will work better for you. What else would you do for a living?

5. Jim , hang in there. Daily stress causes us to sometimes say things we dont mean or understand the consequences of both to ourselves and others. People can transfer their stress , unhappiness , just as well as joy , love ,friendship with just a few words. We have to be very alert to these situations and how we allow them to affect us in our lives. It sounds like stress is building within and you need to better understand how it sneaks into our lives and how to manage these difficulties. Over the years I found myself in similar circumstances and if it wasn't for a good friend setting me up ( I would have never gone if I knew what he was up to at the time and its only later that I realize how intellegent and caring of a friend he was)and taking me to my first stress management class at our local community college. It opened my eyes to so many things. Taught me how to relax . How to let go the trivial things that create the big emotional issues. How someone who is upset at somebody else spews their fustration on others not even involved in the situation and are oblivious to what they just did. How my words and actions set the mood for the day for myself and those around me. Take some time to gather your thoughts and make a non emotional decision based on your best for the future.
    Wishing you the best.

6. RichG

RichG

I'm really glad to read this, I'm still saving pennies and collecting cans off the side of the road so I can get some work done by you!

I would think that anyone unhappy with your work doesn't have a freakin' clue, either on what a good build is, or what a really fair price constitutes.

7. Johnny99

Johnny99

Don't let the armchair fabricators get you down! My hat has always been off to people that build cars for a living and MAKE a living at it, that is one tough racket. Keeping everybody happy is like herding cats, damn near impossible. Unfortunately some folks are born to bitch, complain, and find fault, they will always be around. Take solace in the fact that you have a lot more happy customers than unhappy:).
    Take care and have a great 4th, John

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with Royal Shifter--build it for your self the way you want--if they then like it they can purchase it--if they don't then tell em to move along. From what I've seen, your work is top notch and as good as it gets, but there are always people who are never satisfied or have a friend who knows how it should be done (but has never done anything). I build 40's my way-if they want something different-go somewhere else-when I sell one to start another, the car is "as is" and I will not make any changes to suit them-but at 68 may not do too many more.

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Jim, you can pick a car and build it for me and I PROMISE I won't bitch at all buddy! ;-)

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

People just dont understand how much effort and thinking goes into a car .If they dont apreciate your work ,There not worth it,Your probably better off doing new cars anyway Accident needs fender banged out .Unbolt and put junkyard fender on and repaint ,Not at all like the old days.Its a damn shame.........................................................

11. Jim, I think the thing to keep in mind is that guys in the know and builders on the Hamb appreciate the work you do. That is all that matters. If a no mind doesn't appreciate your work, then consider the source. Pat.

12. this to shall pass....

your positive percentage is very high
    you do way above average work

picking your customers / customers pick you ...
    the hardest choice for any true craftsman

are you sand baggin ?
    have a reality tv series lined up and just practicing the drama?

because we are tuned in and have set the remote down....

if you want to be really happy every single day ... there are pills for that...

13. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Make your own happiness. Get rid of all that makes you unhappy. You are on the right track. No more stress. Eat more ketchup......all good advice for free!

14. havi

havi

I had a moment of clarity last night as well (please pass the ketchup). But build for yourself, and if somebody down the line wants to buy your car/truck then it's a win/win. Somebody is buying YOUR creation because they like it, not because THEIR creation has to be matched by yours.

15. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

2x, but I for one can't do everything. So I'm glad there is guys like Jim out there that can do it.

30-40 talented builders working 24/7, crate engines, corporate sponsorship, etc... All sounds wicked expensive.

I was talking with someone, that is not a car person, about a car that we knew of. I'm not a builder just a diy'er offering advice. I was saying how it would be nice to get it going again and what needed to be done. Had not run in 20 years, back end rusted out due to salted roads. Response was, Yes that would be great, how much do you think it would cost to get it done for a graduation present? This is a week before graduation. :eek::p

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I deal with this sort of thing in my job as a generator technician. It used to piss me off until I thought about it and realized that the very few who whine are the same ones who want something for nothing and think I owe them for giving me their business. Stuff 'em, the fact that the majority of your customers are satisfied speaks volumes.
    Just be careful if you come to Hawaii, I might kidnap you and put you to work on my F1. :eek::D

17. shanesflames

shanesflames

It's a sad day, is all ill say.

18. although they limit the amount of ketchup/ catsup given out at fast food resturants now.. thank goodness there is one just down the block -next town -next state..

most of it has avery long shelf life too.. variety the ketchup of life..

19. Skrayp

Skrayp

Sounds like somebody really got to ya'. It happens to me every now and then and it just sucks the life out of you. I have a bad habit of second guessing myself and I'm always my worst critic. So, when somebody makes a dickish comment it just about kills me. I've worked in collsion full time since I was 19 (32 now) and I've spent all my free time building stuff for other people, never finishing anything for myself. I made my mind up a few years ago that I'm not wasting my time trying to make other people happy and get my stuff done. The problem with that is, when I stopped doing side work I ran out of money and the full time gig has been hit and miss due to the economy. So, my stuff has been sitting the whole time. Now I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go knocking on all those same guys doors and drum up some business. Maybe then I'll have the money.....but then again I won't have the time.

All that aside, I wouldn't worry about a few jerks getting to you. Your stuff is bad -ass and I especially LOVE that orange coupe! I could die a happy man if I ever get to build something like that for myself.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  20. I wish you could do you magic on 56 Nomad and my 55 F100. I like your work ! If you had three unhappy customers( I would say there idiots) I hope they read this. Don't let them grind you down. Cheers to you on everything you have built for folks !

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sleep on it.

Good luck with everything.

22. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

You know you are good at building and you know you did your best on each car. Don't let 3 wanna Bs' get you down. Build for yourself and when you get tired of one sell it and let somebody else worry about changing this and that on the car.

You know if you cooked some great steaks for a bunch of your buddies that one of them is bound to complain about you not cooking theirs right. Just can't please everybody and no sense in stressing yourself about it..... My 2 cents.....

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

24. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I check out your posts because of the great rods you build. Just goes to show that some customers can not be satisfied.

It is too bad that some idiot can influence one's life so much but I can relate. At the end of the day you just ask, why put up with the headaches? For myself I try not to take it personal and focus on those others that have constructive input. I tell myself that if I waste my time worrying about their stupid comments, they win.

Neal

Kinda funny. I clicked on the heading "I think that I am done" expecting to check out another of your finished builds. :)

25. darkk

darkk

I stopped doing any automotive work for others for quite some time now. My last *customer* car was a friend of mine. I was doing it as a favor for him...gratis! At his garage not even mine. I drove 12 miles each way every time I worked on it. So I didn't work on it everyday, I do have a life. Anyways he met some other body man and they were discussing his car. I go over one night to work on the car and I see someone has been working on other parts of the car other than me. I asked if he was helping do the work or something. He tells me the other guy says, he would do this,this and that. At that point I said to him...well let him do it. I went over to his garage and picked up my tools and that was the last thing I did on the car and the last one I worked on for anyone other than myself. Can't even do work for free and some people just gotta be assholes....:mad:

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

I agree with this 100%. Do one last great build Jim, then walk away...

27. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

What a list of accomplishments Jim! I'm in awe of you; not just for the rods but for the determination it takes (and acquired skills). Good job whichever way you choose; but if I may; there are lots of "know it alls" out there, don't let 'em get you down! =)

28. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i never heard your name until i read the hamb board , but the photos you post are some of the finest metal work on a car body ive ever seen , its to bad 3 douche bags spoiled the taste of working for the public , but you cant fix stupid or please everyone all of the time , i hope you continue to post your own projects , so we can enjoy your metal working talents

29. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

:eek: SIC! :D

30. Zerk

Zerk

I've often thought that if I had the abilities of a Jim Sibley I'd have it made! The customers would appreciate the quality of the work and the planning of every build, not to mention the efficiency that's become a bit of a trademark around here.

The world is a goofy place sometimes.