Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think Im done

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Jun 25, 2011.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

I am reaching a time in my life where I think I am done building cars for people.
    I have built a total of 17 model A coupes, 4 model A roadsters, 2 model T coupes, 2 model T roadsters. 5 model A sedans, and 2 model A pick ups for people. I have also done 4 model 77 willys, and 3 30s chevys for people. Of all of these I have had 3 unhappy customers. When i first started building for people I said I would do it until It wasnt fun any more. Well that day has come with the third unhappy person. If I were rich i would simply buy back those 3 cars, but Im not wealthy. I have done body and paint for the last 25 years and almost every customer has been happy. Im going back to doin what i do best.
    No more builds. My hat goes off to all of you builders that continue to fight the good fight. Remember this. There is a million ways to build a car and every idiot has a friend that will tell you how to do it better. Good luck!!!!

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Thanks Jim but I don't believe you....build for yourself like I do. I am always best customer.

3. What are they not happy with??

4. So what's next????

5. JimSibley

JimSibley

Oh,
    Im not done building for me. Im just done with John Q public, and thier know it all buddies that have assembled 1 fad T kit, and that makes them a freakin expert.

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I hear ya Jim. I think I have been your best online customer watching all the cool builds.

7. FABRK8R

FABRK8R

Jim,

That's quite a list of accomplishments,... folks will always let ya down. If ya go out,... go out on the next high note, do one more that you & your customer are proud of,... if it takes 3 more builds it may be worth it to know you stopped when you were in your prime. Not tryin' to push yer pride Bro,... just thinkin' you deserve a better exit than stage left : )

8. Anyone not happy with your work is a freakin IDIOT! I wish I could afford to have you fix my model A.....I'd be on the road by now. ;):D

9. brady1929

brady1929

Can't you just take a little break?

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

There must be something in the air,... I have talked to 2 people today, that were "out of sorts"... and pretty DURN grumpy !, Don't let the Idiots get ya' down Jim ! Looks like you have WAY more customers that are happy with you.

Some people are just impossible to please, take a little break if you need to, close the barn doors and watch TV for a week,.... After that drives you totally nuts ! go back out to your tools, and start making sparks again.. build or finish something for you.

Making something out of nothing,... Thats what you do, and who you are,... And your HAMB Brothers are really proud of that,... and you.

11. racer756

racer756

Its ashame that people who cannot produce anything are always the one to make harsh comments about work they cannot do themselves. I have always admired your work and I believe that you will get over this "funk" with disgruntled customers.

Your work is awesome, and you seem to be a firstclass caring guy, you will be ok!

12. The_Monster

The_Monster

I could never build cars for customers and old fat lazy rich guys just so they could cruise in something I built for them and claim they built it. Plus, I dont do well with people telling me how the build should go, or what time frame I have to complete it by.

Just keep on building cool cars, they way you want, taking your time, then sell them when youre good and ready. Itll become fun again when you follow your own direction and lower the stress levels.

13. Illegitimi non carborundum = Don't let the bastards grind you down!

I am sorry to hear it. It happens in all trades, generally the same type of person.

Just because some tool isn't happy (probably wouldn't know it if he was standing in it), it isn't worth it to shut out all the appreciative folks (happy and willing to pay for it).

14. it is fortunate that the old tradition of hot rod remains in place at this time, I hope that one can or is already learned from someone like you to continue this legacy, now that everything is computer and plastic ...

15. JimSibley

JimSibley

Oh, Im not done. Im just not gonna build for people. If I want to build a car and sell it when Im done, then its all good. I will chop tops, build patch panels, and do body and paint. Im just done building cars for customers. that way if someone doesnt like it, they dont have to but it.

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

:D:D:D:D:D Ya just got to love it !
    [​IMG]

17. Jim, I have been a bodyman/ fabricator since 1969 but seeing all your work here on the HAMB makes me feel like I am still in High school body class. Don't let a freaking idiot make you stop helping people who do not have the skills to build one themselves. I also agree that you should build another and go out on top. Either way, I will look forward to your next build. You are awesome. Bud

18. Nothing like the pleasure of doing something for yourself...

19. bluestang67

bluestang67

I wish I could afford a good professional to work mine . I would have no gripes at all and all I want done is the sheet metal work .

I have a 37 cpe at someones place now thats had it for a 1 1/2 years and barely touched it . I paid cash and bartered this drive and suspension and when he sells something he says I still am not paying cash .

Now that he sold most off I can't even get it back with out taking a huge loss . I am stuck at his will .

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2609730940102070080WJcJPa

20. Just stay around the HAMB. You're inspiration to many.

I built houses for 30 years. I loved it until the last few years. The houses got bigger and fancier which brought more headaches and took away much of the fun.

You can't please everybody but can please yourself.

21. 76formulafiend

76formulafiend

do what u want man screw anyone who doesn't like... do what makes you happy and don't stress about it thats why i couldn't build cars for someone else once you do its just work and not fun anymore

22. I think you have the right idea. Build them for yourself and if you sell one they are buying it as is. Nothing to bitch about. 3 guys not happy out of the number of cars you have built is not bad, but it is tough dealing with morons. Pat.

23. Been doing work on all types in a small shop for 3 years now and it has killed my desire to do my own. Get home after a day of working on hot rods all day and its all I can do to go out to the shop and even look at my shit. I understand the part where every one has some one that is a pro. There was a guy that comes in now and then that I named the Mexican astronaut. Guy knows everything and has worked on the space shuttle? I have had it too! Good luck with any new ventures you set to do do.

24. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Yeah I have been there. Some people will never be happy. I always like to give them the magic triangle.

On each point if the triangle there is:

Cheap
    Fast
    Good

You are only able to choose 2 you are not able to have all 3. If you choose cheap and fast, it wont be good. If you choose good and fast it wont be cheap and so on. With out the bad customers you could never appreciate the good customers. It isnt always going to be fun. There has to be a balance.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

25. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

We get it too. We'll restore a Mustang better than new, with less issues than a new Mustang would have had in '65 and they expect 2011 Ford Mustang reliability and fit and finish.

If you can't afford to buy it back offer to sell it for them.

Mostly they're just pissed at themselves because they've invested loads of money in a dream and when the dream becomes reality it doesn't satisfy them the way they thought it would so they look for someone to blame other than themselves. They spend their whole life looking for material satisfaction, and never achieve it of course, because they don't realize that the satisfaction comes from creating something, not owning it. The builder/owners will always drive around with a lovely feeling of achievement, pride and satisfaction. The wannabes see that happiness and think they can buy it too.

Here's a comparison.

You have a beautiful wife who loves you. She makes you feel great. A passionate night in bed will make you feel great.
    Would you feel just as good if you went to bed with a pretty prostitute? I don't think so.

Don't let those complainers get you down, they still think they can buy happiness and will always be disappointed in life.

Look at this way. All those people are paying you to get all the satisfaction from building those wonderful cars and they just get to drive them. Bit like as if they were paying you to sleep with their wives and they got to take 'em shopping!

Ed

26. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

I almost whole heartedly agree with this comment, just think it would be better to go out on a high with a happy customer, especially since you have established such an illustrious list of builds.... and probably happier memories of tales gone by.

However, i'm sure all your future builds will be more fulfilling personally for you and I look forward to follow the up-coming stories.

Cheers

27. 39 sledge

39 sledge
    from p.a.

i hear you jim wrapping up the last customer car in my shop from now on im in it for myself,and to all the know it all,s and i have done better then you guys they can kiss my #$^%.:cool:

28. I think these shows where they build a cool car in a week after having it worked on 24/7 by pro builders for that week and some of these crazy Ridler style builds that must pushing a million dollars have really skewed the publics perception on real life regular hot rod shop builds.

Sorry the few got ya down. Personally Id be proud to own a Sibley built car. Holy shit is that a Sibley? Hell yeah!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  29. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Jim, it sounds logical that you would suffer some burnout after working so hard and having some idiot give you a hard time. Just want you to know I am a big fan of your cars. Hang in there. Try to have some fun and enjoy building cars for yourself. Life is too short to waste on unhappiness. Good for you!

30. BCR

BCR

Jim, I feel your pain.
    Only someone who has been in this position will understand the pain of having to finish something you have your blood sweat and tears in and you are proud of but the owner no longer wants it.
    My lead restoration tech owned a sucessful shop for 14 years but closed it because of this reason. Now he just comes to work and does not have to deal with customers. Somedays I think he is the smart one.