Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage LA Roadster Show with my Dad in a '40 Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicks Hot Rod Garage, Jun 13, 2011.

1. HotRod33

HotRod33

I really enjoyed following your thread......... I had a great time and I wasn't even there....... When is our next trip.....?

2. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Great travels and pic's Mike, and St Nick, always knew you were real, now about that bike I asked for (I believe it was a schwinn).

Scotty

3. kisam

kisam

Inspiring! Thanks for the ride!

4. NoSurf

NoSurf

Ok.

What's next?

;)

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

^ i think it should be my turn again...

6. pumpman

pumpman

Thanks you two! It was a blast to be along, even if I'm sitting here in Michigan.

7. What a beautiful country we live in. Thanks for sharing your explorations. Keep it up!

8. PrimeEvil

PrimeEvil
    from N Utah

That was simply awesome to see the entire trip from start to finish!

Use to love going thru virgin pass in lower utah when heading back and forth from so cal.

9. Here's the mileage I put together using Google Maps

757 - Englewood, CO to Las Vegas, NV
    239 - Las Vegas, NV to Pomona, CA
    116 - Pomona, CA to Ojai, CA
    237 - Ojai, CA to Chowchilla, CA
    778 - Chowchilla, CA to SLC, UT
    526 - SLC, UT to Englewood, CO

2,653 - Total Miles

What a great trip!
    I cant wait for the next one!

10. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

glad you guys got home. Thanks for taking us all along for the ride. Can't wait to see what you guys do next!!! Maybe someday i will meet ya at a show on the west coast!

11. Someone told us about the Mountain Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, Georgia. Sounds like fun!

Lots of hopped up Forty Fords!

This just looks like good Fun!!

DawsonVille

Dawsonville’s 41st Annual Mountain Moonshine Festival

October 24-27-arts, crafts, cars, cuisine and more!

Dawsonville, Georgia-The leaves are falling and the mountains are calling, so start your engines and head for Dawsonville-this year's Mountain Moonshine Festival is approaching faster than a 40 Ford loaded with white lightning!

Dawsonville's annual Mountain Moonshine Festival is one of the top festivals in the region, with nearly 500,000 visitors experiencing some element of the free event's car shows, regional food and folk art exhibits. Held on the 4th weekend in October each year, the festival celebrates Dawsonville's colorful mountain history along with all things Appalachian, from moonshine to music and more.

The colorful history of Dawson County and historic Dawsonville spans the American experience, from Native American culture to modern NASCAR heroes like the town's own "Awesome Bill" Elliott. Once an outpost for gold mining and pioneer settlements, the mountain farming community gained notoriety during prohibition, when local farmers with no market for corn turned their skills to making and transporting "moonshine whiskey". The daring "trippers" who drove these illegal loads earned their own reputations as skillful drivers and folk heroes. Movies like "Thunder Road" glorified the era-many drivers and car owners formed the early nucleus of NASCAR and today's racing fans will recognize names like Lloyd Seay, Roy Hall, Raymond Parks and Gober Sosebee. Gone are the days when souped-up cars ran the back roads laden with moonshine, but festival attendees can still hear the tales as former moonshine trippers and revenue agents reflect on their glory days during a storytelling exhibition.

The downtown square and Dawsonville Municipal Complex will be "pole position" for most of the activities, and car buffs, gear heads and early birds can get in on a steady stream of hot rods and collectible cars coming into town throughout the day. Festivities officially begin with a "cruise-in" on Friday night, October 24th at the municipal complex, co-located with the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame Headquarters. Vintage race cars and "hot rods" will be on site during the entire festival, along with food, entertainment and legendary drivers telling tales from a bygone era. The celebration cranks back up Saturday morning, October 25th at 8 am on the Dawsonville Downtown Square, and a 9 am parade will feature vintage cars, drivers and historical displays lining the streets of old downtown Dawsonville. On Sunday, October 26th, more cars, more fun, food and festivities continue throughout the day. For more information visit www.dawson.org or call toll-free 877-302-9271.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  12. I still say some kind of run in the fall for as many of us that can do it would be a blast!

13. Dawsonville and Bonneville are on my list for big drives to make in the next few years. Mike send me a PM when Salina gets closer, I've got a couple of good books about moonshine and early NASCAR history that I'll bring out. Glad you guys made it home safely.

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

FALL + RUN = NEW ENGLAND

It would mean i don't get to do any road tripping, but it would be rad to have you all here. we could plan it around the Gathering of the Faithful. it's an awesome show, and it's near here, and i always have a party to close it out.

i have enough beds, couches, air mattresses to comfortably sleep 8 or 10. and there are hotels within 10 minutes from me too.

so...the balls are now decidedly in your own courts. consider it a challenge to a duel.

15. Time off for that long of a haul will be an issue until Fall of 12. But it could be done.

16. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

That's Great!!

Attached Files:

17. you guys are the best.

18. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

I had a great time traveling with you guy's, even though it was on the HAMB. Saw the '40 at the show. Thank you for the story and all the pics. Glad you made it home safe.:)

19. Had a couple beers with Louverdude last night, we discussed this. You live to damn far East!:D Talk did come up agout Eastern Iowa in the Amish region that we had previously talked about.

20. John Stimac

John Stimac

I took this pic at L.A.

Attached Files:

21. Dave50

Dave50

Thats awesome BarnT glad you had a great trip and thanks for sharing. I cant wait to take a road trip with my son someday. wish i woulda checked this thread before we hit LARS we wouldve stopped and said hi seen a bunch of times.

22. VintageBuzz

VintageBuzz

Great thread!!! Your Dad's friend, Paul in Chowchilla, is my wife's older brother. All of us grew up together in Cheyenne during the '50s & '60s. St Nick and Paul are just a few years older than me and my wife. And, I still remember your Dad's '57 FORD 406 CID that he and Paul used to terrorize the streets of Cheyenne in back then. ~Buzz & Deb near Ogden, UT.

23. Greezy

Greezy

Aww man Im out there every week....you need to come a bit west.

24. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Great thread!!!!
    I like threads abouts travelling!
    Thanks

25. 55glyde

55glyde
    from mile high

Neat trip- very jealous... Can't wait to do this myself. Note to self: bring spare alternator and battery.

See ya in Golden in July!

26. Thanks for all of the pictures. I attended back in 91. I bought some old posters and t-shirts from the SCTA booth. The tee shirts were some of my favorites but they all wore out. I wish they would sell some of them again. Tee shirt sales at Bonneville were huge. I think it is a big money maker for them. I had the old posters framed in red like my tool boxes.I love those old SCTA posters. I think SCTA should reproduce the old posters and tee shirts. The old posters and tee shirts had neat art form and not a bunch of waves and hard to read lettering. I still buy the new ones.

27. Hey Buzz, I heard some great stories about the ole '57. Dads recreating it with even more cubes & more gears!

Great to see so many friends on the HAMB!

TJJ on iPhone

28. Dang, this was a fun trip!!!

TJJ on iPhone

29. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Bet your thinking, Now what?!!
    It was fun to follow!

TP

30. HopFrog

HopFrog
    from no where

I went there a couple years ago with a friend. when i first saw this thread i was think of all the booths and buildings you were going to hit. now i have a couple questions.

1. did yu enter to win a car?
    2. did yu see the 4-8-8-4 big boy locomotive at the train museum next door?

oh wait! one more; Is Pops gonna write any of the women in the prisons you kept passing? lol

i am so happy yu got to go

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011