Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to live?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalturk1, Jun 25, 2011.

1. poverty flats...where the coolest people live and others just drive thru

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Australia! Great climate and place to be, friendly people, lots of things to see and do. We drive on the wrong side of the road is our only pitfall.;) We're a pretty laid back bunch down under.

3. Homemade44

Homemade44

Take a look at the attached link. It covers a lot of what goes on in the area but not everything. Lots of car clubs around if you are into that. House prices on the coast are reasonable now but the insurance is out of sight.

http://www.gulfcoastmotorsports.com/

4. ArizonaBill

ArizonaBill
    from Arizona

Tucson is good, old cars and trucks are cheap....and last forever. but, not much going on.

I do have a bias though, born and raised.

5. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Austin has to be the place! That is where the Boss is.

6. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Everybody knows LOS ANGELES . . . . . . SUNNY SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA . . . . . . I don't know where in the hell you all guys are talking about.

Attached Files:

• 1097.jpg
      1097.jpg
      File size:
      426.5 KB
      Views:
  7. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

We found an old cotton mill town in upstate SC, it's pure heaven, cost of living low, people great, but plan on commute if you still need to work.

8. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Still better then Bakersfield ( except twice a year ).

9. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

if you like where you live other then no car shows etc. may be you could start your own car shows ect. whats the saying, build it and they will come

10. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Do consider northwest Florida. There actually is a good bit of hot rod related activity around Panama City. And there are some hot/good real estate deals to be had. Message or mail me if you would like more info. Ron

11. mananaba

mananaba

Alot of rodders including master fabricator Jackie Howerton have settled in to Prescott Az and swear it is car guy paradise

12. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

Las Vegas if you like crime and a dying city.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Reman, please tell me about car activity in the Panama City area. The only car activity I've seen there is the first Friday event in PC. Is there more? Thank you.

14. SO YOU HAVE NO PLACE TO GO ON FRIDAY<,SATURDAY OR SUNDAYS IN PORT ST LUCIE SO YOU ARE MOVING............

Lake Worth
    July 3, 2011 Holiday Open Car Show
    Holiday Open Car Show
    6:00 PM - 10:00 PM
    Hosted by the City of Miami Springs, and held on the circle (Curtis Parkway), this FREE show includes dash plaques to the first 100, Top 30 Best Holiday-Decorated Vehicle awards, DJ Scott The Music Man, flat screen TV raffle, and more. 050311

July 4, 2011 Cars As Art
    Cars As Art
    4:00 PM - 10:00 PM
    Held on the Great Lawn of the Old Schoolhouse, 51 North Swinton Avenue, Delray Beach. this show benefits military veterans, and includes awards, music, vendors, and food and beverage is available. Registration fee is $20. Visit the website for the future schedule. For more info, contact Charles at (561) 797-6770. 030811

July 9, 2011 Collector Car Appreciation Day Show
    Collector Car Appreciation Day Show
    4:00 PM - 8:00 PM
    Hosted by South East Rods & Customs, and held at Lucky's Bar and Grill, 10160 West Indiantown Road, Jupiter. This FREE show is being held as part of the nationwide Collector Car Appreciation Day, and is open to all. There's Top Ten awards, Lucky's Choice, 15% participant discount, magazine coverage, music by DJ Donnie, 50/50 drawing, raffles, and more. For more info, call Donnie at (561) 753-3279. 052511

August 3-7, 2011 Cruisin' To Key West
    Cruisin' To Key West
    Beginning Wedensday in Lake City, with scheduled stops in Ocala and Orlando, the first night will end in Florida City. The following morning, the cruise will begin, with a stop in Bahia Honda State Park, lunch at the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key, and arriving in Key west in the afternoon. Spend Thursday evening, Friday and Saturday in Key West, then return home Sunday. Lots of events planned along the way, and in Key West...do all of them, or not. Please RSVP if you're attending. For more info, e-mail Cheri. 062511

Palm Beach Gardens
    September 4, 2011 PGA National Classic Car Show
    PGA National Classic Car Show
    10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
    Hosted by the Gold Coast Corvette Club, sponsored by the PGA National Resort and Spa, and held at 400 Avenue of the Champions, this show benefits Vets Helping Heroes, and includes a Friday evening Welcome Party, dash plaques and goody bags to the first 150 registered, Top 20 Corvette and Top 20 Classic awards, music, door prizes, 50/50 drawing, Golf Scramble, and more. Show pre-registration is $25, day of show is 30. Friday buffet (optional) is $15, golf (optional) is $22.50 each. Special rate at the hotel is $129 Saturday and $99 Sunday. For more info, call Jim at (281) 330-5223. 050711

September 16-18, 2011 Sebring Thunder Car Show
    Sebring Thunder Car Show
    See Below For Times
    Hosted by the Sebring Cruise, and held in downtown Sebring, this show includes a Friday Welcome Reception at the Kenilworth Lodge beginning at 4:00 PM, burn out contest at 7:00 PM with awards and live entertainment to follow, car show downtown Saturday from 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM with live entertainment, food and beverage, and a swap meet, Awards BBQ at the Kenilworth Lodge at 5:00 PM with live entertainment, and drive the world-famous Sebring track from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM Sunday. Registration fee is $25, and includes an event T-shirt (if pre-registered by August 31st), one entry to the burn out contest, one awards dinner BBQ ticket, and one entry to drive the track. There's lots more info on the website, or contact Bud at (863) 471-1900. 050211

February 25, 2012 Benefit Car Show and Crafts Bazaar
    Benefit Car Show and Crafts Bazaar
    9:00 PM - 3:00 PM
    Sponsored and organized by South East Rods & Customs, and held at Seminole Ridge High School, 4601 Seminole Pratt Whitney Road, this open-to-all show benefits the Seminole Ridge High School Marching Band, and includes awards, crafts' bazaar, live entertainment, green market, auto-related vendors, food and beverage available (including BBQ), and much more! There's room for 500 vehicles, and 40 vendors. Car show pre-registration is $15, day of show is $20, and vendors are $50. For more info, call Bart (e-mail preferred) at (561) 358-6456. 041211

Port St. Lucie
    Second Friday of the Month
    5:30 PM - 8:30 PM
    (772) 807-4467Hosted by the City of Port St. Lucie Civic Center, and held in Village Square, 9221 SE Civic Center Place, this FREE event features a live band, food and beverage available, arts and crafts vendors, childrens activities, and more.

Royal Palm Beach
    Every Friday
    5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
    Bud - (561) 758-7144
    Hosted by the Road Rascals Car Club and Team Ace-It Detailing Polish, and held at Tree's Wings, 603 Royal Palm Beach Boulevard (¼ mile west of Al Packer Ford),

Every Friday
    5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
    Larry - (561) 723-5986
    Hosted by the Asphalt Angels, and held at The Wellington Marketplace (corner of Wellington Trace and Greenview Shores). There's muisc, door prizes, and raffles, plus nine restaurants, a cinema house, and lots of shopping. 021211

Second Saturday
    of the Month
    5:00 PM - 8:00 PMHosted by Gweed's Gangsters and the Town of Tradition, this event is open ot 1983 and older vehicles, and held at the Town Square. Parking begins at 3:30 PM. There's awards, food and beverage available, vendors, music, raffles, and door prizes.

First Sunday of the Month
    11:00 AM - 2:00 PM
    (561) 753-3279Held at Terry's Old Dixie Cafe, 300 North Old Dixie Highway, Jupiter. All makes and models. The entire restuarant will be reserved for cruisers during this cruise in, and there's a 20% cruiser discount on food and beverage purchases. Also music by DJ Donnie, prizes, and surprizes.

First Sunday of the Month
    1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
    Nick - (772) 463-1717Hosted by Horsepower Sales of Stuart, and held at 4350 SE Federal Highway. Open to all vehicles. 082609

West Palm BeachEvery Sunday
    5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
    Donnie - (561) 753-3279
    Beginning May 15thHeld at Red's Backwoods BBQ and Sports Bar, 10130 Northlake Boulevard, this event is open-to-all, and includes 99¢ Bud and Bud Lite drafts, 50¢ wings, a 15% cruiser regular-priced food discount, 50/50 drawing, DJ Donnie, and much more. 050411

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  15. ratster

ratster

i live in knoxville, i love the south..

16. Here's some stuff to do in Ft Pierce...Gee, I hope its not to far to drive up there......

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2011 CALENDAR OF EVENTS[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

MAIN STREET FORT PIERCE EVENTS
    = (MS) 772-466-3880

DOWNTOWN BUSINESS ASSOCIATION EVENTS
    = (DBA)

WEEKLY EVENTS:

BIKE NIGHT: EVERY THURSDAY
    2ND STREET 6-9 PM. For information call Yellow Tail Grill, 772-466-5474.

FARMERS MARKET and
    SATURDAY MORNING CRAFT SHOW
    MARINA SQUARE 8-12 PM
    For information call
    772-940-1145.

MONTHLY EVENTS:

Friday Fest
    MELODY LANE; FIRST FRIDAY OF EACH MONTH

CLASSIC CAR SHOW

2ND STREET; LAST FRIDAY OF EACH MONTH[/FONT]​

17. willys33

willys33
    from New Mexico

Interesting thread. Everyone has a preference or else we would all live in NYC! We lived in centeral Florida for 20+ years and decided it was no longer what we wanted and moved west...to a little town in New Mexico. Taste and lifestyle change and those who are willing to follow the changes in their lives will enjoy a new area. Ever have someone tip their hat, open a door for you and say good afternoon?

18. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

you're not trying too hard - there's all kinds of auto crap going on all around you - race tracks galore, cruises galore - move to the mtns & you'll really wonder what happened - 50 miles is an afternoon cruise in tn, nc, sc - i drive 8 miles just to get some decent gas

19. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I drove through Trinadad Colorado on my way to lubuck tx from denver. Only 20-30 minutes from the nm state line. Probably one of the most beautiful cities I have driven through. Giant cliffs on both sides of the town. Same for northern NM.

All I remember of southern new mexico was passing a cop doing 90 and him waving at me.

20. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

You want car shows and cruise nights come to So Cal he have everything for the car or bike...

21. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

I would say North Texas or Austin... North Texas because we have everything around here and im only an hour from the big city, Also about 3 hours from Oklahoma which is a mine field for old cars and parts. Same for Austin lots of car related stuff and lots of cars. The weather sucks but if you hate winter then this is the place to be.

22. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also like the northern New Mexico southern Colorado area, but if you don't like snow . . .

Attached Files:

23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Don't tell anyone but Norm Grabowski and I both moved to Arkansas and love it.

24. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Ahhh it's just a good reason to own one of these...

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zBjlSJf4274?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zBjlSJf4274?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

25. TomWar

TomWar

I've been building Hot Rods and Hot Boats for over 50 years, and lived all over the country, and I have to say there are just as many or more Hot Rods & Customs here on Florida's Treasure Coast, as anywhere else.
    I really doubt if you will satisfy yourself by moving.

26. moter

moter

Dont move to Austin....there are already too many cool ppl here :D
    The barbque sux...nothing ever happens here...just plain boring

27. 26 roadster

26 roadster

my wife and I moved from CA. We took a map and a compass set at 400 miles (our max drive) and drew circles on the citys we were looking at. Knoxville, TN won. Check what is in the circle, lot of rod runs.

29. Got a place 4 sale in Prescott.
    A car guys dream
    1700 sq ft home, 5 car garage, 2600 sq ft shop with spray booth built in.
    If yer interested.

Attached Files:

30. I moved from Montana to Kingman.AZ I can drive my hot rod 360 a year the other 5 days I'm out of town. Vegas 90 miles north.